PDA

View Full Version : Built ZJ found in Maine

MaineZJ
10-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Not a lot of built ZJ's round here, so this is kind of exciting for the area.

http://mystic-dragon.net/modules/gallery/album08

any first thoughts besides it's wayy too clean. still wishing it was mine

gearhead313
10-20-2004, 12:13 PM
skeeter sounds familure....

Zero
10-20-2004, 12:17 PM
MaineZJ where in ME do you live??
New Enland Off-Road is right around the corner from my apartment. I've been watching them build that thing (and drooling) for like 3 weeks.
So weird to see stuff that close to home pop up on boards where I didnt think I knew anyone. Apparently, the guy actually uses it for work. I think I'm gonna apply for a job wherever he works.

MaineZJ
10-20-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm near standish, SKEET is a little futher south.

now I want to know what the guy does for work... and how the hell he's gonna get it inspected

MaineZJ
10-20-2004, 12:44 PM
so is that ZJ still by the shop, or did the guy take it allready?

Zero
10-20-2004, 01:12 PM
He's got it now. They took it up north somewhere for a test run about a week or 2 ago. Made pretty quick work of the trail from what I hear. I guess, aside from adjusting a few things, its all set. He's been driving it around Portland a little. Every time someone sees it, they always make sure to mention it, and how much cooler it is than mine. :)
I think he does some kind of geological survey stuff. They had a clip on the news about a month ago (with his previous setup, on 33's and, i think, short arms) talking about the new off-road shop, and showing what this guy does & how his ZJ is setup for what he needs.

Im not sure how he's gonna get it inspected, considering this state seems pretty strict. I dont even know what the laws are here. I'm from DE, where you get away with 4" or less sticking out the sides and 30" bumper to ground. The cops up here give me shit and I'm not half as obvious as him on the road! Its pretty sweet though.

MaineZJ
10-20-2004, 01:20 PM
Well the ABS has to be gone (can't change anything that has ABS) and there are frame heights which I'm sure that is above.

I'll have to try and track it down. Maybe snap some pics, talk to the guy and try to get him involved with some real wheeling... where he might actually need something that big.

Zero
10-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Definitely no ABS. It's got f/r 60s with 5:38 gears. They modified Claytons setup with longer arms to push the front axle forward more. It also has an Atlas 4.3, 38" sx's, and around 7.5 to 8" from rock krawler springs and acos.

From what the guys at NEOR said, he's keeping the sheet metal nice for about 3 weeks. I think he wants a pic or something at a business type event where he works. After that, I suppose its no-holds-barred. I think he lives somewhere in downtown Portland. Someone told me they keep seeing it parked on their street.

The guys at New England Off-Road Outfitters (on 1053 Forrest Ave) have all the info on that guy. They also have an offroad group and do regular trail runs. If you stop in, I'm sure they'll talk your ear off about all that. They're pretty cool guys.

nate
10-21-2004, 06:17 AM
Sweet!

Any of you guys know where Van Buren is? That's where I grew up.

deadman
10-21-2004, 08:01 AM
That is a great looking ZJ!

I love the flares... I bought me some TJ Flares, but I think I am throwing them away, and get these!!! XJ Bushwaker flares, right?

FinlayZJ
10-21-2004, 09:34 AM
Damn, that thing is clean.

And holy unparallel trac bar and drag link.

Zero
10-21-2004, 12:18 PM
Any of you guys know where Van Buren is? That's where I grew up.

Oh man! You're one of those Aroostook people! :D
I know a few people from Madawaska that went to USM.
We always teased them from being that far north.

GrandZJ
10-21-2004, 02:14 PM
I grew up in Maine as well, Millinocket. My brother now lives in Cornish, just down the road from ya, and has a CJ.

MaineZJ
10-21-2004, 02:16 PM
your brother Ron?

GrandZJ
10-21-2004, 02:17 PM
Sure is

MaineZJ
10-21-2004, 02:19 PM
:flipoff:
I know your bro...

GrandZJ
10-21-2004, 02:21 PM
Not sure if thats good or bad :lol:

Zero
10-21-2004, 04:30 PM
Just went back over there today, and snapped a few more pics for you picture junkies....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Pray4BigSurf/maine06.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Pray4BigSurf/maine05.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Pray4BigSurf/maine04.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Pray4BigSurf/maine03.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Pray4BigSurf/maine02.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/Pray4BigSurf/maine01.jpg

MaineZJ
10-21-2004, 06:06 PM
atlas, and.... bumpsteer

almost afraid to go talk to em about it... don't want to start pointing out all the problems they made

NEOR
10-21-2004, 09:42 PM
I know all about the bumpsteer. The owner wanted to wheel with it. so for the time being we installed his original track bar. we are making a new track bar, plus installing a ARG ROCK RAM which will solve the problem. As for bump stops. When we can flex a tire four feet off the ground, finding a proper location that doesn't hinder full axle stuff is a problem. You have to remember that this truck just got finished. We have some fine tuning to do. As for the owner, he built this rig to wheel.
I have some pics of the trip up north. I will try to post it.

MaineZJ
10-21-2004, 09:49 PM
Hey, glad to hear from ya.
The track bar isn't really the problem, it's the mounting points.
also, why weren't the front LCA's made to be level with the bottom of the axle tube? would'a make for less snagging on stuff.

All in all, it looks great. Great work :thumbsup:
Not really how in hell it's gonna get inspected if it's not trailered....

Might make it into town sometime and check it out in person.
Go on over to neow.net, there's a forum with people from all over NE about wheeling.

SKEETER
10-21-2004, 09:52 PM
skeeter sounds familure....I have been around. Used to be on rockcrawler before it got big. Used to be on NAXJA when I had an XJ. Was on NAGCA but started concentrating more on the local scene. I am on NEOW and I am a mod on what was Seacoast Jeeperz forum (still waiting on a new name). You may have heard the name from anyone of those or a couple tech write ups.

Zero
10-21-2004, 10:23 PM
atlas, and.... bumpsteer

almost afraid to go talk to em about it... don't want to start pointing out all the problems they made

Not trying to sound like a smartass, but for all the 'problems' you see with it, it performs well on the trail, and the highway to for that matter. Isn't that the point? Some things are unfinished, and it's not that I don't see your point about the LCA mounts but I wouldn't use that to judge an entire project. They do really good work over there and I don't doubt them for a second.

Out of curiosity, why are you slamming the atlas? Cost, maybe, but aside from that and maybe the selectable low range of 2 cases, is there something I'm missing? Just wanted an opinion, since they catch my interest.

NEOR
10-22-2004, 06:38 AM
It's not just the mounting point. Whats Important is that the trackbar follows the same angle as the drag link. We are also making the trackbar longer to help in drivers side stuff. As for the lower control arms. It would be nice to have to lower flush, but with 5.38 and a 4.1 transfer , plus the unsprung weight of steel wheels and 38" tires . We felt that having it lower to control axle rap, was more important. Plus we boxed them to help as skids

MaineZJ
10-22-2004, 07:50 AM
I don't see anything wrong with an atlas except for the price. they're good and I'd like to have one.

from what I've seen, you want the trac bar locations to be parallel to the drag link for less bump steer.
I've seen a grand on 36's with claytons kit modified with both the front and rear LCA's flush and it goes great. Out at the Homestead (NEWJO grounds) you need all the clearance for rocks you can get.

on the highway... goog thing there weren't any cops around
I think the project as a whole came out good. Definately great work from a shop I have only seen the shop truck for after hanging around on NE forums for more than a year. Just knowing about Grands I think there are a few places that it could use more work.

Jim311
10-23-2004, 01:43 AM
That's gotta be one of the better built ZJs I've seen. Can't imagine how much coin went into that buildup!

Swamp boy
10-23-2004, 11:07 AM
Very nice looking..

What exactly is the lift law in Maine or is it something else..

Like Headlight height or bumper height?

I dont even know what it is around here but there are rigs on the road with current inspection that look like this..

http://www.dodgetruckworld.com/gallery/LARam/170411.jpg

All about head light height here.. see them hanging bellow the bumper..
How gay ....And notice no front shaft on the dodge.. I have seen this guy and a ford just like it rolling around for over a year with no shaft and no intention of getting one I would assume... There is also a 2wd Chevy around here thats rolling on 40's and what must be at least 18" of lift anyway enough about stupid Street rigs that will never see any more off road than where they are parked in the picture
My point is that is street legal here..

Just wondering what is allowed there...

Once more very nice rig... And where did you get those flares they look great..

Carl

MaineZJ
10-23-2004, 04:48 PM
with ABS... no change
still shakey on some of the other laws but... some that I know / knew

on a ZJ- exhaust exit outside the body behind the rear door
no mods to factory suspension
2 tire sizes larger
frame height per GVW (also heard of rocker height but unreliable source)

go4goan
10-23-2004, 10:47 PM
I am the owner of the zj, this is a constant project in the works. This is oh phase 30 out of 100+. My deal is that I am anal about my rides- have to be clean and respectfull, need to be used and tested to the limit, then back to clean and respectful. This aids in keeping on par with the local and state police. As well as preserving the investment. On the trail, pack out all you bring in, get muddy climb rock walls and have a blast. Back on the road, clean it up so cops don't have an added excuse. Show respect be respected. It has always worked well for me. Yes, some obvious items need to be adjusted and the bank account needs to recover. I want a truck that is highway worthy and goes anywhere in style and class. So far even with the items pointed out, it drives great, yes on the highway too. Very little bumpsteer and not any worse at 70mph. As for off the road, I could not be happier. It is not a matter of can I make it, rather which way do I want to go. So far the no bumpstops thing has only been an issue once. Truck will always stay clean- that's my nature and is why next spring it will have an exoskeleton.

deadman
10-24-2004, 07:07 AM
I see you use Rusty's trackbar bracket...

...look at that:

http://www.liska.de/bilder/trackbar01.jpg
http://www.liska.de/bilder/trackbar03.jpg

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARrustysTrackBarBracket/RustysTrackBarBracket.htm

IMO... Kevin's bracket would've been a better choice:

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/images/trackbar_conversion/trackbar5.jpg

NEOR
10-24-2004, 08:59 AM
LOOKS LIKE THAT BACKET HAS BEEN MOVING, BUT THANKS FOR THE INFO. WE WILL GUSSET THAT INSIDE EDGE, AND KEEP AN EYE ON IT.

MaineZJ
10-24-2004, 09:30 AM
all in all it looks like a good rig. similar buildup to what I'd like if I had some $$$
I'm really curious how it's going to get inspected...
my only real suggestion of what to change (other than get an aftermarket sway bar) is to lower those ACOS's down. think being as tall as it is, it would be much more stable. less lift, more tire. you'd still have great droop, just a bit less uptravel.

any pics wheeling it? or other work by NEOR?

go4goan
10-24-2004, 06:50 PM
trucks very stable, alot more stable than when I had my 4.5" rubicon and 35" SSR's. 20+ degrees felt like the truck was going to flop. With the full width axles the height and tires seem to be the perfect combo. Track bar is on the short side- but if you actually look at the top and bottom angles (of the trackbar) they are not that far off. Needed to get out and start testing- will make trackbar when we do exoskelton. The ACOS are for adjusting for the different equipment I need to use for my business, so I can keep the truck level. And I think that they work great for that. NEOR is going to move mount down so ACOS can be turned way back down. I Like the hieght because switching to 39.5" IROK radials at some point. I have been thinking about Anti-rock sway bars- probably just get some longer links for now though. The mountain was awesome today- I lot different than 4.5", 35" open diffs. Looking forward to test phases 3 and up now.

bigrubbers4x4
11-02-2004, 02:13 AM
are those xj cut out flares on that monster? man is that thing awsome, i would love to make my rig look like that. its all about status isnt it.

jeepn4lyf
01-31-2005, 11:57 PM
Wanna sell the ZJ? email me jamz03@atlanticbb.net

deadman
02-01-2005, 05:48 AM
There should be some pics of it offroad...

This one came up on a german board:
http://jeep.cfasp.de/upload/3301.jpg

I wonder if there are more pictures?

nate
02-01-2005, 06:13 AM
That's some serious droop :shock:

MaineZJ
02-01-2005, 08:26 AM
deadman, got a link to where you found that?

deadman
02-01-2005, 09:55 AM
deadman, got a link to where you found that?

I found it in a picture thread on a german Jeepboard... I'm gonna ask the guy who postet it where he found it. I'll let ya know.

deadman
02-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Great! He said cardomain. :roll:

I don't know about you, but I don't feel like looking at all the lowered, neon equipped, hugeass stereo taking up all cargo area, 22 spinna riding Jeeps, just to find more pics of that ZJ.

norcaljr
02-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Great looking ZJ ... Id like to hear more about the flares...

MaineZJ
02-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Great! He said cardomain. :roll:

So... get the cardomain link...

They are XJ flares. The owner didn't want it cut up too much.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
02-01-2005, 10:47 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/742346

i've had this one bookmarked for awhile

Texas ZJ1
02-04-2005, 12:06 AM
Too bad the owner didn't want to help out other jeepers. He must think we may have a better modded jeep than he does.

Hunter

MaineZJ
02-04-2005, 12:21 AM
he didn't build it... he paid.

New England Off Road Outfitters built it, really nice shop

nate
02-04-2005, 10:41 AM
Where are you at in Maine? I will be visiting my parents in 2 weeks.

MaineZJ
02-04-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm in the south - 20 miles from Portland.

black_zj
02-04-2005, 07:22 PM
hey, I was born in Waterville, most of my family still lives in Maine. nice place, but most talk funny and the humidity kills me.