PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas for Crossmember

JOE
10-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Mine is so smashed up, I need to make a new one before I go to the badlands on the 30th of this month. I am going to tackle the project this weekend.

For those of you that have made one, or have a non-factory one on there, can you post a pic or two and maybe give me a couple pointers or things you'd recommend that I do.

Thanks!

LouisianaZJ
10-19-2004, 03:45 PM
look at www.kevinsoffroad.com for some pics of his

Troy
10-19-2004, 05:15 PM
I sleeved my frame rail. In effect I did away with the need for the bolts that go into the frame rail.

http://smallnet.homeip.net/gallery/albums/Long-Arm-Build-Axle-Upgrades/IM000818_JPG.jpg

JeepinHank
10-22-2004, 10:12 AM
2x4x3/16" rectangular tubing.

Cut to length, Make 45* cuts on the end so you can get the bolts in & out, cut for clearance on the front driveshaft (maybe rear), and cut out the oval/drill holes in the center for the T-case mount. Then drill out the holes to mount the x-member to the frame.

I want to do this, but can't find any 2x4x3/16 at my local steel dumpster. (I know I need better sources :roll: ) I can't just go and buy a 3 or 4 foot piece, cause my suppliers don't keep it in stock, and won't order a whole piece for me to buy 3 or 4 feet. I got some 2x4x0.25, but IMO, that's too thick.

A hole saw would probably make the circular cut-out a lot easier. Other than that, a drill, chop saw, grinder and some cutting wheels, and you're in business.

Nordic1
10-22-2004, 02:31 PM
sell it on JU for a million dollars

JOE
10-23-2004, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the help.....I think I have an idea of where to start and the little bit of redneck in me, and ghetto engineering that i seem to be good at may lead to a completed crossmember that will work if i'm lucky.

I'll post pics when i'm done!