PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake rotor stuck

Hurricane 4x4
10-14-2004, 10:17 PM
Cant get the fuckers off. They are rusted on there pretty good. I tried spraying some penetrating oil in the lugs... no dice. I beat the snot out of them with a hammer and no luck, would not budge. Tried heating the rotor with a propane torch, still no luck. They were not in bad shape so i just cut the glaze with some sandpaper and put the brakes back together with new pads.

Anyway, have any of you all experienced this problem... and how did you solve it?

JeepinHank
10-15-2004, 09:19 AM
Parking brake wasn't on, right?

Sometimes you have to ask the stupid question first. :D

Were the rotors rusty?

Hurricane 4x4
10-15-2004, 10:32 AM
Haha, yeah, the parking brake was off!

They are very rusty... original equipment on a jeep with 160,000 miles. They have been turned once at about 75k miles.

FinlayZJ
10-15-2004, 01:13 PM
Spray with PB. Let it soak while you drink a beer. Then take a big fucking hammer (preferably a sledge hammer w/ ~3' handle) and knock the shit out of it from the inside. Hit the rotor on the side away from the wheel. watch rotor fall off. Drink another beer.

Bulldog 6
11-01-2004, 12:09 PM
I have found that older brakes take a series of heating and beating to remove them. My rear brakes with 85K took me 2 heat cycles, 2 beatings, several applications of PB Blaster, and a large flat tip screwdriver to remove them.

Get them hot and beat them on the final try and they should pop off.