PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light Codes

BigDaveZJ
10-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Instructions
Cycle the ignition key On/Off/On/Off/On within 5 seconds. Then Count the number of times the "check engine" lamp flashes on and off.

Code Description
11 No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking. Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. CKP sensor target windows have too much variation.
12 Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 Key-on cycles.
13 No difference recognized between the engine MAP reading and the barometric (atmosphere) pressure reading from start-up.
14 MAP sensor input above or below acceptable voltage. 5 volt output to MAP sensor open.
15 No vehicle speed sensor signal detected during road load conditions.
17 Engine did not reach operating temperature within acceptable limits. Engine does not reach 20º F. within 5 minutes with a vehicle speed signal.
21 Upstream oxygen sensor response slower than minimum required switching frequency. Upstream oxygen sensor heating element circuit malfunction. Downstream oxygen sensor heating element circuit malfunction. Downstream oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above the normal operating range. Oxygen sensor voltage too low, tested after cold start. (Upstream or Downstream) Left oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above the normal operating temperature.
22 Engine coolant temperature sensor above or below acceptable voltage.
23 Intake air temperature sensor input above or below acceptable voltage..
24 Throttle position sensor input above or below acceptable voltage. TPS signal does not correlate to MAP sensor.
25 A shorted or open condition detected in one or more of the idle air control motor circuits. Actual idle speed does not equal target idle speed.
27 Injector #3, and/or 4, and/or 5, and/or 6 output driver does not respond properly to the control signal.
31 An open or shorted condition detected in the A/C clutch relay circuit. Insufficient or excessive vapor flow detected during evaporative emission system operation.
32 An open or shorted condition detected in the EGR solenoid circuit. Possible air/fuel ratio imbalance not detected during diagnosis.
33 An open or shorted condition detected in the duty cycle purge solenoid circuit. (air conditioning clutch relay)
34 An open or shorted condition detected in the Speed Control vacuum or vent solenoid circuits. Speed control switch input below the minimum acceptable voltage.
35 Fan control relay
37 Relationship between engine speed and vehicle speed indicates no torque converter clutch engagement. Auto. only.
37 An open or shorted condition detected in the torque converter part throttle unlock solenoid control circuit. (3 speed auto RH trans. Only). Incorrect input state detected for the Park/Neutral switch. Auto. only.
41 An open or shorted condition in the generator field control circuit.
42 An open or shorted condition detected in the auto shutdown relay circuit. An open condition detected in the ASD relay output circuit. An open or shorted condition detected in the fuel pump relay control circuit. An open circuit between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit. Circuit shorted to voltage between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit. No movement of fuel level sender detected.
43 Peak primary circuit current not achieved with maximum dwell time.
43 Misfire detected in one or more cylinders 1 thru 6. (4 and 6 cyls.)
44 Battery temperature sensor in voltage above or below acceptable range.
45 Overdrive solenoid - open or shorted condition detected in overdrive solenoid circuit.
46 Battery voltage sense input above target charging voltage during engine operation. (voltage too high)
47 Battery voltage sense input below target charging during engine operation. Also, no significant change detected in battery voltage during active test of generator output circuit. (voltage too low)
51 A lean air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally rich correction factor. (O2 sensor)
52 A rich air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally rich correction factor. (O2 sensor)
53 PCM Internal fault condition detected.
54 No camshaft signal detected during engine cranking.
55 Completion of fault code display on Check Engine lamp.
62 Emissions Maintenance Reminder (EMR) triggered by mileage accumulator
63 Unsuccessful attempt to write to an EPROM location by the PCM..
64 Catalyst efficiency below required level. (Same as code 72)
65 Power steering high pressure seen at high speed. (2.5L only)
72 Catalyst efficiency below required level. (Same as code 64)
76 Fuel pump resistor bypass relay
77 Malfunction detected with poser feed to speed control servo solenoids.

nate
01-31-2005, 11:06 AM
Good for 93-96 I believe. I know on my 98 I have to use my diagnostic scanner to pull the codes.

OverkillZJ
01-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Good for 93-96 I believe. I know on my 98 I have to use my diagnostic scanner to pull the codes.

Works on 97 too, 98 is a no go.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-31-2005, 02:03 PM
I thought 97's and 98's were only OBDII and had to use the tool?

:?:

TrojanMan
02-01-2005, 12:10 AM

My 96 is OBDII and the code will read out on the odometer. Its pretty bling. As far as I know it will work on 97, I haven't heart anybody trying it on a 98.

snarfer86
02-01-2005, 12:20 AM

My 96 is OBDII and the code will read out on the odometer. Its pretty bling. As far as I know it will work on 97, I haven't heart anybody trying it on a 98.

yea thats one of the things I hate about my 93'...you have to count the F'king lights flash...its sooo much easier to do on my friends 96'

TrojanMan
02-01-2005, 01:43 AM

yea thats one of the things I hate about my 93'...you have to count the F'king lights flash...its sooo much easier to do on my friends 96'

Mine does both. Bow down before me 8)

nate
02-01-2005, 05:57 AM
For sure the 98 you need a code reader. I wasn't 100% sure on the 97, but you guys say you don't need one... cool.
I got the Autotap... thing is kickass, though the Snappy Scanner would have been better, didn't have the coin for it though.

jeepr4life
06-24-2009, 12:05 AM
I had to rewire my rear o2 sensor due to my driveshaft ripping the wires apart. Should the check engine light turn off automatically?

I think I read somewhere that it takes 200 something times turning the key on and off to reset it. Is this true or is there an easy trick?

dp96zj
06-24-2009, 12:16 AM
I had to rewire my rear o2 sensor due to my driveshaft ripping the wires apart. Should the check engine light turn off automatically?

I think I read somewhere that it takes 200 something times turning the key on and off to reset it. Is this true or is there an easy trick?

haha i had the exact same problem, rear o2 sensor wire wrapped around the rear shaft. Disconnect the battery for 10+ minutes, and it should reset the computer and clear the CEL. If you rewired it correctly, the CEL should stay off.

fpkites
06-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Also, if you did it right, the code will clear after 50 start cycles with the symptom not being present.

midwestj
07-06-2009, 09:06 PM
haha i had the exact same problem, rear o2 sensor wire wrapped around the rear shaft. Disconnect the battery for 10+ minutes, and it should reset the computer and clear the CEL. If you rewired it correctly, the CEL should stay off.

I had same problem with the O2 sensor. If you are unsure of your wiring you should try your local library they should have a program called all-data electronics or something like that and you can see all the wiring diagrams for any make/model, It's more in depth than any factory service manual.

Tuzmaster
12-29-2016, 03:58 PM
Between '93 and '95 there were OBDI connectors (on some models). At least the limiteds did anyway. However counting lights also works. On my 95 ZJ a guy had to get an OBDI connector to figure out the MAP sensor was acting up. Starting in '96 a OBDII connector was introduced and now its standard. There was (I'm sure) a point when they had both connectors. From my understanding of those systems, if you have an OBDII system then your codes will be different as the system then is more capable.

fluxcap
12-29-2016, 08:42 PM
I am sure that sometime in the last 7 years the problem has been resolved