PDA

View Full Version : Having some vibes/noise after custom front shaft install..

Jim311
10-11-2004, 09:07 PM
I ordered a new shaft from Tom Woods, and measured using the criteria he gave me. My measurement came out to 31.5 inches. Tom build me a couble cardan front shaft for my rig based upon these specs. I've installed it, and now I have a howl at almost all speeds. Basically I want to know if my measurements are off. I realize that this can vary according to suspension setups and whatnot, but does 13.5 seem too long or short to any of you? I'm at about 4.5 inches with adjustable short arms. I saw somebody else on NAGCA that had a measurement of 31 inches, so I'm thinking that the shaft might be too long and may be binding. A friend of mine is a mechanics instructor at my college and he seems to think that this is what is causing the vibrations and loud noise.

Can anybody else give me measurements they've used for their custom front shafts, or perhaps some insight on this issue? This noise is driving me insane, and not only do I have to listen to it in 4 low, but since I've got the 249 it's ALL the time when I'm on the gas.

LouisianaZJ
10-11-2004, 09:13 PM
adjust pinion angle, pinion needs to be inline with the new CV shaft

may be unbalanced

robselina
10-11-2004, 09:17 PM
the howl has to be something else.

The vibes could be it's out of ballance.

When you installed the shaft, how much additional compression and extension did it have?

I just installed my new front driveshaft from him today, no issues. It was built to length specified (34 3/4" at rest, which is how he measures it, so it was like 32" compressed, 36.5" extended) but yours should be like 31" at rest if I recall, since my friend's 97 was about that too...(different transmissions)

Jim311
10-11-2004, 10:03 PM
Well, my buddy who's a mechanic said that the angle shouldn't be what's causing it. He said it's a CV shaft so the angle shouldn't matter much if at all. The vibes are VERY minor and only at 60+ mph..

robselina
10-12-2004, 04:39 PM
Well, my buddy who's a mechanic said that the angle shouldn't be what's causing it. He said it's a CV shaft so the angle shouldn't matter much if at all. The vibes are VERY minor and only at 60+ mph..

what about the howl, is it pretty noticable? wonder if your front output bearing on the t-case is having issues, or your VC.....

nathaniel
10-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Is the shaft a double cardan at both ends or just one end?

If its just one end then it better be at the right angle or its gonna howl a bunch.

Jim311
10-13-2004, 09:26 AM

what about the howl, is it pretty noticable? wonder if your front output bearing on the t-case is having issues, or your VC.....

The VC is most definitely toasted. It's a very noticeable howl. T-case issues aren't an impossibility...