PDA

View Full Version : WJ is fried. Need Help

Creech
10-10-2004, 10:44 AM
Alright. Hit the trails yesterday for the last time before I deploy, and as usual the temp guage started to rise. Well, we had to wait on somebody to go get his wife and some ATF for a leaking t-case, so we figured that would be a good time to see why I was running hot.

After quick inspection and test, we figured out the little factory electric fan wasn't coming on for any reason. Simple solution, run wires from fan to toggle to battery. Well, my buddy gets the bright idea to run the jumper wires off the fan to the fuel pump relay in the fuse block since it's hot when the key is on so I don't have to keep popping the hood to shut the fan off. He runs the wires, I turn the key, and POP! Shit, blew a fuse. Fuel pump fuse of course. Replace it, go ahead with running the fan to the toggle and battery, and try to start the WJ.

Cranks like there's no tomorrow, won't hit a lick. Check all fuses inside and out and they're good. Switch relays around under the hood to see if we blew the relay, nope. Guages are working inside. Volts won't go past 9, fuel reads empty and it's half full, temp won't move and the engine hot to the touch. Fuel pump not working and no voltage at injectors. Get it back to my buddy's shop, and plug it up to this fancy code scanner he's got and try to run a diagnostic. That won't work either.

Is my ECM fried? I'm lost here. Any help is appreciated.

LouisianaZJ
10-10-2004, 09:16 PM
4.0l?

im guessing you messed up the fuel pump, mabey the CPS?

hopefully it is not the ecu...

Creech
10-11-2004, 08:36 AM
You know how when you break on the trail, it seems like everybody that comes by wants to help? There were so many people climbing all over my rig that I just stepped out of the way. The last thing I said was, "let's just get it out of here and back to camp. I'll get it home and mess with it there." Nobody wanted to hear that yet, so I just let 'em go. Big mistake.

You wanna know what it was? It was the 10 amp automatic fuel pump shut-off fuse located in the fuse box under the dash. Apparently nobody had the bright idea to pull the owners manual out and look through it for the possible culprit. I heard my wife offer it up several times, but I guess no one took it.

Got over to my buddy's house yesterday morning to start working on it, and figured I'd get the manual out and see what it said about the fuse box and thought it might have been the inertia switch too. Turn to the fuse box page, see that the auto shut-off fuse is right there, pull it out, replace, Dub fires up. If I could have kicked myself in the balls, I would have!

Anyway, bought a toggle and light, and wired my aux. fan up to run when I want it too.

I'll leave this up for a while so everybody can ride me for being a dumbass and stuff like that. I don't care. All it cost me was $30 in fuel in my buddy's truck and a sandwich. I can live with that.