PDA

View Full Version : choppin the top

BigDaveZJ
10-09-2004, 03:44 AM
I'm getting ready to do this, just like pretty much everyone else who's chopped it. I'm not gonna get TOO crazy, cuz it will be a temp setup until I figure out a cage and fuel cell and the back end will get bobbed.

My current plan is to hack the liftgate in half and just weld that in somehow where it would usually sit. Once I bob it, I will probably fabricate some sort of tailgate system, but for now it's not worth the effort. I would also like to reinforce the unibody somehow since I'm taking a decent chunk out of it. I've got 25ft of tube that I could use, but no bender. I'm not ready for a full cage yet (no bender, not enough $$$), so I was thinking just making a pseudo-arch in the c-pillar area. Basically have a bar running along each c-pillar bolted to the floor, then some sort of "crossmember" following the roof line between the two. Seems to me it would pretty easy to make, and would at least retain some of the unibody's strength. Maybe even run some kickers back to tailgate area and eventually make that part of my cage. Thoughts?

EDIT: I would probably use the "crossmember" to tie the "arch" into the roof somehow.

Swamp boy
10-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Dave ... thats how I originally did mine...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/swampboy/Swampy%20Pics/IM002637.jpg

But then I went wheeling and busted brake light and realized that I had to take the tailgate off to change it... :oops: Sooooo.. Then I just left it off...

Not to mention I needed to get the spare tire of the roof.. It was making alot of noise over my head... :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/swampboy/Swampy%20Pics/IM002643.jpg

So then I welded 14gauge steel across the back.. (its welded to the pinch seam all the way across.. And I used a piece of steel that was left over from a buddys cage and welded that right into the inner fender wells with a piece of 4"X4" schecdule 40 to disperse the energy if ever needed... And
Bolted my tire and highlift to that...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/swampboy/Swampy%20Pics/IM002735.jpg

But your Idea sounds like it will work...
I also really wanted to use the top of my back hatch as a back window but this was impossible because it was about 5" to narrow.

:(

I also thought about using the tail gate and using sheet metal to cover the stock brake light holes and using some pop in LED's for brake and blinkers.. (I even went so far as to buy them.) But I couldnt find any to use as reverse lights so I gave up on that... :? Let me know if you want the LED lights .. they are 4" round ..Dual light.. So they can be used as brake and blinker...:D

Anyway... Good luck and post pics of your setup...

Carl

deadman
10-10-2004, 04:28 PM
@Swamp boy:

Is that a sliding window? What truck did you take it off?

gearhead313
10-10-2004, 06:46 PM
Sounds interesting dave, keep us posted..

i guess i'll have to do mine to be cool now too! :twisted:

Kraqa
10-10-2004, 07:05 PM
neet-o i wana see some pics.

Cody
10-11-2004, 12:52 AM
if it were me, I'd put the money and effort into drivetrain. Chopping the rear and bobbing it is cool, but it really doesn't get you that much further down the trail.

You have a PM about the cell BTW

Good luck in what you decide. I'm sure it'll be bitchin

Cody

Trancezj
10-11-2004, 09:07 AM
if it were me, I'd put the money and effort into drivetrain. Chopping the rear and bobbing it is cool, but it really doesn't get you that much further down the trail.

You have a PM about the cell BTW

Good luck in what you decide. I'm sure it'll be bitchin

Cody
Not true actually... Where I wheel, it's helped a shitload. I mean like 2oz short of a metric ass load. WHY? Center of gravity. I do think you might have to pull the front AND rear doors to reap the totall benifits of it though. This weekend I rode in spot where I almost always end up on my side, and kept it tires side down the whole time. Hell, it even drives better on the road now.

Cody
10-11-2004, 11:43 AM
Yeah, but dave is at like 3" of lift. He doesn't have a high center of gravity. If he had 7" of lift it would be a different story and in that case i would say the same effect could be had by lowering the lift.

Isn't it funny, the guy that has hacked the most is the one telling people to not hack?

Cody

BigDaveZJ
10-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Cody, I'm not really looking to do it to lower my COG, more to improve my angles. I get hung up on the rear end quite a bit, both going down and up stuff. Also, it will be motivation to get a cage.

Trancezj
10-11-2004, 12:28 PM
motivation to get a cage? Just get one.

Cody
10-11-2004, 01:02 PM
Cody, I'm not really looking to do it to lower my COG, more to improve my angles. I get hung up on the rear end quite a bit, both going down and up stuff. Also, it will be motivation to get a cage.

yeah, just get the cage. If you need better departure angles, relocate the stock tank into the cargo area, and get some bigger tires. I have som 37's I'll sell ya for cheap. :D

You wouldn't believe the difference in clearance once you take that tank out.

Cody

BigDaveZJ
10-11-2004, 01:15 PM
I'm not hitting the tank a whole lot, more the rear bumper area and taillight areas, hence why I want to cut them off.

Cody
10-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Isn't that area self clearenced? I think thats how Nate sees it. :)

My biggest piece of advice is to keep the stock fuel system. It's just too big of a pain to do an aftermarket fuel system and unless you're really knoweldgable about fuel delivery etc, you're going to be working out bugs for awhile.

Cody

Trancezj
10-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Isn't that area self clearenced? I think thats how Nate sees it. :)

My biggest piece of advice is to keep the stock fuel system. It's just too big of a pain to do an aftermarket fuel system and unless you're really knoweldgable about fuel delivery etc, you're going to be working out bugs for awhile.

Cody
good to know about the fuel thing. Just do your tail lights like myself and nate have them. Works great.

Swamp boy
10-11-2004, 09:12 PM
@Swamp boy:

Is that a sliding window? What truck did you take it off?

Sorry I missed this post earlier.. Its from a Toyota Pickup. (88 I believe) But I had an Mitsubishi rear window that I was going to use but decided to keep it for my other little 4 wheeler... :D
http://www.delta4x4club.com/trailreports/2004/mg_august28_2004/mg_august28/carl.JPG

Anyway.. Almost any small truck window will fit..

Dave.. You do anything yet???

Just post pics.. we certainly dont need one of your writeups on this...:lol: :lol:

Carl

nathaniel
10-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Just get rid of the bumper and hitch. It will improve the clearance a lot. Bigger tires would help too.

Cody what do yo want for your 37's? send me a PM. Just about perfect for my Ranchero to be built.

Dave you were also planning on long arms which means you are going to be at least 1.5" taller and most likely 3" higher.

BigDaveZJ
10-12-2004, 07:37 PM
Just get rid of the bumper and hitch. It will improve the clearance a lot. Bigger tires would help too.

Dave you were also planning on long arms which means you are going to be at least 1.5" taller and most likely 3" higher.

Rear bumper cover is already gone from destroying the crap out of it everytime I went wheeling. Yeah I do plan on going to long arms eventually, but that's a decent amount of cash. Cutting shit only costs sawzall blades and cutoff wheels! Going taller and bigger tires only means I'll be running even harder trails, so it will be a benefit then too. I already spend most of my time on 8 rated trails, and while 9's are rather insane, sooner or later I'll be on those too.

Kraqa
10-12-2004, 09:26 PM
so....ah...dave.....where's the pics?? you should chop mer then just back back part. chop the roof off right after the driver. then chop the rear doors so there half doors........

i want to see what it would look like cause i plan on doing that when i can get a tube bender.

BigDaveZJ
10-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Buy me a tube bender and I'll cut off whatever part of my Jeep you want me to!

JohnBoulderCO
10-12-2004, 11:05 PM
Let's chip in and buy that for Dave, a B-Day present.

Then we can have a party in his garage and start cutting things off!!!!

Kraqa
10-13-2004, 08:53 PM
i'l buy you a tube bender if you let me drive to your house. sleep there while you and i use it then let me take it when i drive back home.

BigDaveZJ
10-13-2004, 09:54 PM
i'l buy you a tube bender if you let me drive to your house. sleep there while you and i use it then let me take it when i drive back home.

Done!

JohnBoulderCO
10-14-2004, 12:14 PM
I still want to chop stuff off the Jeep.

BigDaveZJ
10-14-2004, 12:34 PM

Then be at Corey and Cristi's tomorrow afternoon!

BigDaveZJ
10-15-2004, 03:16 PM
Stage One
Gut Interior

COMPLETE

JohnBoulderCO
10-15-2004, 04:11 PM

Then be at Corey and Cristi's tomorrow afternoon!

Wish I could, little thing called work getting in my way, remember that?
Have fun!

Kraqa
10-15-2004, 10:13 PM
ya i would come down for a nice 14 hours drive but my truck has no insurance till wednesday cause thats when it gets inspected and i'm building my 1 ton steering. just got my draglink/tie rod material today. 8' of 1-5/8" x 5/16"wall DOM. nice and beef. i wanted to go with 3/8" but that was $26 a foot.

robselina
10-15-2004, 11:54 PM
[quote=nathaniel] I already spend most of my time on 8 rated trails, and while 9's are rather insane, sooner or later I'll be on those too.

Sorry, but going OT for a sec. Our sport needs to get it's ass in gear and setup a standard trail rating system. Everything out here is rated on a 1-5 scale....

BigDaveZJ
10-16-2004, 12:11 AM
Rob, divide CO's ratings by 2 and you have your ratings. I guess our ratings for elk and deer are different two as far as the point system. Now THAT is going OT lol.

Oh yeah, pics.

Before:
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/wheelinpics/choptop/choptop%20008.jpg

After:
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/wheelinpics/choptop/choptop%20010.jpg

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/wheelinpics/choptop/choptop%20016.jpg

Steigs
10-16-2004, 07:48 AM
Nice.

How are you holding the remainder of the lift gate in? Is it just tacked in a few spots?

EDIT: Nevermind, just re-read first post covering that...

OverkillZJ
10-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Post more pics :lol: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/wheelinpics/choptop/choptop%20014.jpg

I wish I could've been there. Destruction is one of my better skills!

Kraqa
10-16-2004, 10:14 PM
nice rear wiper.

JohnBoulderCO
10-16-2004, 11:05 PM
nice rear wiper.

Noticed that too. Maybe a new CB mount?

BigDaveZJ
10-17-2004, 06:06 PM
nice rear wiper.

Noticed that too. Maybe a new CB mount?

Eventually maybe, but my CB mount is currently welded in between the liftgate and rear quarter panel, so it's not going anywhere anytime soon!

Kraqa
01-02-2006, 12:32 PM
so if this was just a temp thing when are you gonna finish this little project :flipoff2:

OverkillZJ
01-02-2006, 01:03 PM
so if this was just a temp thing when are you gonna finish this little project :flipoff2:

LMAO

Krash80
01-03-2006, 03:08 AM
LMFAO...dave brought the ZJ to mexico with him along with his tubing bender and welder to finish the project on his honeymoon.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
01-03-2006, 05:00 AM
LMFAO...dave brought the ZJ to mexico with him along with his tubing bender and welder to finish the project on his honeymoon.

wheres he carry the magic tire?

Krash80
01-03-2006, 05:16 AM
hey now

OverkillZJ
01-03-2006, 12:55 PM
ahhahahaha