PDA

View Full Version : Super trick adjustable "sway bar" radius arm syste

robselina
10-07-2004, 05:59 PM
http://www.fototime.com/3933FA75C662BED/standard.jpg

Think about this for a second. By varying the resistance of the ram, you can basically have a variable rate 'sway bar'. I thought this was a sick idea.

speedmontzj
10-07-2004, 06:14 PM
would the adjustment be a lever in cab? i could see it working with some t and e . a knob would be nice, kinda like a brake prop. valve.

BigDaveZJ
10-07-2004, 06:44 PM
Interesting . . . .

MaineZJ
10-07-2004, 10:21 PM
gotta be careful with that.. that ram won't stop for that mount or that lower link

Krash80
10-08-2004, 05:05 AM
depends on what you have for bushings. If there's no bushings in there and it's all metal to metal contact, that ram will act like a swaybar resisting any suspension articulation, but something's gonna give. Physics is physics...that stuff twists when you go offroad, or even when you go around a turn. If that ram is filled w/ hydraulic fluid and it's solidly mounted at both ends....and everything else is mounted fairly solidly, something's gonna break whether it's hard cornering on the street or on the trail.

but yes...radius arms do act like an anti-sway bar because they resist differential suspension movement...so that would in theory be a variable resistance swaybar.

-Ron-

ROKN ZJ
10-08-2004, 10:28 AM
depends on what you have for bushings. If there's no bushings in there and it's all metal to metal contact, that ram will act like a swaybar resisting any suspension articulation, but something's gonna give. Physics is physics...that stuff twists when you go offroad, or even when you go around a turn. If that ram is filled w/ hydraulic fluid and it's solidly mounted at both ends....and everything else is mounted fairly solidly, something's gonna break whether it's hard cornering on the street or on the trail.

-Ron-

It could be setup like 64impalla hydros where it can float if he wants it to, or it can react if he wants it to. Otherwise I figure it acts like a radius arm. I don't know if it'll work or not I just don't see it being that much tougher on brackets that a regular radius arm setup...

edit: nm radius arms have big bushings, I forgot. Well then I guess it probably won't work to well... Even if he sets it to float it'd be a pain in the ass to use off-road IMO and much more work than its worth. I mean you could also just use a winch to load your suspension and that sort of acts like a sway bar as well...