PDA

View Full Version : Rubicon Express Superflex joints...

Jim311
10-06-2004, 12:09 AM
My rear UCAs has a spherical joint on them that has developed lots of slop. So much that when I accelerate from a stop, I can audibly hear the joints clank. I haven't had this kit on 6 months! Is there any more durable option for this, or am I shit out of luck so long as I'm using RE's control arms? I want something that wont develop any play on me.

nathaniel
10-06-2004, 12:54 AM
Try tightening the joint. Thats about as good as it gets. Everything wears eventually

LouisianaZJ
10-06-2004, 12:54 AM
edit

LouisianaZJ
10-06-2004, 12:55 AM
did you ever grease them?

you can:
1) replace the joint with a rebuild kit from RE (probably get it under warranty)
2) replace it with a superride rubber bushing
3) find a poly bushing that fits

btw, it is more likely you would destroy the uca mount than destroy a Re joint in 6 months

mikebeach
10-06-2004, 08:07 AM
(probably get it under warranty)

Warranty on suspension parts? Damn who warrantys there bushing and joints? I need to get whoever does that, suspension.
ROTFLMAO :roll:

gearhead313
10-06-2004, 12:27 PM
the rebuild kits are cheap. just a new poly sides and maybe a ball. if you bitch they might give you a good deal on it....i think i payed like $10 per joint.

make sure you grease them regularly!!

Jim311
10-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Yeah, the problem is most likely that I don't grease them as frequently as I should.. totally my fault. I'm sure it's just the poly pieces it rides on that are worn. If there's no chance of it breaking and leaving me stranded then I'll probably just deal with the noise.. it's a minor annoyance at best. I was just curious if there was something that might be lower maintenance since I'm a lazy fawk :o

LouisianaZJ
10-06-2004, 09:51 PM
(probably get it under warranty)

Warranty on suspension parts? Damn who warrantys there bushing and joints? I need to get whoever does that, suspension.
ROTFLMAO :roll:
its worth a try....

Tommy
12-13-2004, 12:41 PM
I don't think it is the superflex joint, may be though. Have you checked the rubber/poly bushings., yet? They aren't that hard to change.

Jim311
12-13-2004, 10:49 PM
Dude you're WAY late on this thread!

Turns out I just needed to really crank the shit out of the bolts... quieted them down nicely.

forexfour
12-14-2004, 11:35 AM
I am way late on this one but the Joints where the bolt goes through elongates, cheap design. That is where the slop is. It is a cheap setup design. THe Adjustable arms have a different joint that cant elongate.

Jim311
12-14-2004, 01:18 PM
They are adjustable arms.....

forexfour
12-15-2004, 12:52 PM
Oh yeah the rear Adjustables have the same cheap bushings that create popping from eye hole slop. RE told me either drill out the hole and put in a larger bolt or just have to put up with it. Common problem they told me.

These are what need to be put on to replace those bushing setups and stop the popping.

link http://www.rubiconmfg.com/products.asp?folderid=419&showfolder=413
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynamic/mainpage.asp?folderid=788

RE3791 Super-Flex Joint Small - The Super-Flex 2 cartridge was originally designed to replace the heim joints used in some of original suspension designs. The small size is a direct replacement for factory upper rubber bushings used on XJ/MJ/ZJ/TJ/WJ.
The Super-Flex 2 cartridge was originally designed to replace the heim joints used in some of original suspension designs. The small size is a direct replacement for factory upper rubber bushings used on XJ/MJ/ZJ/TJ/WJ. This cartridge uses UHMW and a unique thread in side nut, which allows easy tightening, and rebuilding (the replacement part kit is RE3798) although you may never have to. Rubicon Express ran their JeepSpeed race Cherokee all last season on the same set of control arms, without a single failure. After removal at the end of the season, they felt as tight as the day they were installed. In contrast, factory rubber bushings need to be replaced EVERY RACE!
Uses a 10-mm bolt.

RE3792 Super-Flex Joint Large - The Super-Flex 2 cartridge was originally designed to replace the heim joints used in some of original suspension designs. The large size is a direct replacement for factory lower rubber bushings used on XJ/MJ/ZJ/TJ/WJ.
The Super-Flex 2 cartridge was originally designed to replace the heim joints used in some of original suspension designs. The large size is a direct replacement for factory lower rubber bushings used on XJ/MJ/ZJ/TJ/WJ. This cartridge uses UHMW and a unique thread in side nut, which allows easy tightening, and rebuilding (the replacement part kit is RE3797)…although you may never have to. Rubicon Express ran their JeepSpeed race Cherokee all last season on the same set of control arms, without a single failure. After removal at the end of the season, they felt as tight as the day they were installed. In contrast, factory rubber bushings need to be replaced EVERY RACE!
Uses a 9/16-in bolt.

Chris

nate
12-15-2004, 03:47 PM
So this is a replacement for the axle bushings and rubber control arm bushings, correct?

I was having that problem with my front upper axle bushing, the bolt would fit loose enough it would constantly clunk on the trail. What I did is grind the little "nubs" in the bushing to open it up to a 1/2" (10mm stock) and that did the trick.

forexfour
12-16-2004, 11:18 AM
From what I understand, and I am always willing to accept being corrected, these are what you can use to replace the rubber bushing in the superflex control arms.

When I talked to RE they said to do exactly what you did to get ride of the annoying popping you can get from the bushings. Drill it out and use a larger bolt.

I am gonna replace one of the bushings on my upper rear arm to see how easy it is.

Not sure why they have 2 kinds of super flex arms, one with rubber bushings and the others with the joints. Cost prolly.

The Upper front superflex fixed have the rubber bushing, the upper superflex adjustable control arms have the joint.

BigDaveZJ
12-16-2004, 03:04 PM
Not sure why they have 2 kinds of super flex arms, one with rubber bushings and the others with the joints. Cost prolly.

The arms with rubber bushings are the Super Ride arms. Super Flex has the stock style rubber bushing in one end and the Super Flex joint in the other.