PDA

View Full Version : 73 Jeep Commando

JeepinHank
10-05-2004, 03:26 PM
Found a 73 Commando locally that a guy is selling for $350

One of my buddies is dying to jump on it, but I'm not so sure (since it'll probably end up sitting in my yard). Can anyone give me a little info on what (if any) desirable parts there may be?

Any good links for information?

TIA

Hank

JeepinHank
10-06-2004, 10:26 AM
Well, I did a little bit of digging, and I think he should pass.

Here's the specs I've found out so far:

LP Dana 30 Front axle (~50" WMS - WMS)
Dana 44 Rear

258 I-6
Dana 20 T case
Not sure on tranny

The guy told him he thought it had a HP 44 front and 60 rear, which is why he was wanting to jump on it, but with this new info, I think its a really expensive route to go to get a narrow ass Dana 44. Not really anything of value for a ZJ or XJ.

Alaska ZJ
10-06-2004, 09:21 PM
Sell that 44 to a CJ5 guy.

the commando is only good for the cool body and uniqueness. Drivetrain is junk at best. Some came with a V8 I think?

K2
11-02-2004, 05:48 AM
Sell that 44 to a CJ5 guy.

the commando is only good for the cool body and uniqueness. Drivetrain is junk at best. Some came with a V8 I think?

Some have the V8, yours is a bull nose though. Some like that better than the CJ look alike. I love my 68 CJ rip off. It is mearly a piece added to the cj grill, riveted on. Check here for more info, these guys are into the Jeepsters. http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=offroadjeepjeepster

I agree you get it for the unique body, then stick it in the agarage and don't touch it. Well so far that is all I have done!

K2