RTI on 25 degree ramp:
406 with front and rear connected
594 with front disconnected and rear connected
712 with front and rear disconnected

RTI converted to 20 degree ramp standard:
501 with front and rear connected
734 with front disconnected and rear connected
880 with front and rear disconnected

The purpose of the exercise was to test the vehicle's articulation with the swaybars connected and disconnected, to observe the tire clearance over the total range of flex possiblities, and to identify any issues needing attention. It wasn't to determine the maximum RTI we could achieve, so we didn't bother to air down the tires (though we may do so next time). Still, the RTI results weren't bad for a highway cruiser.

Jim.

gearhead313
10-04-2004, 09:32 AM
I heart WJ's... good stuff.

Alaska ZJ
10-04-2004, 09:44 AM
Leave the rear connected. Looked to me like it was working better with the rear connected. Not to mention is will feal a shitload better offcamber with it connected.

I say leave the rear connected.

Oh and why in the hell wern't you driving?

jsteves
10-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Leave the rear connected. Looked to me like it was working better with the rear connected. Not to mention is will feal a shitload better offcamber with it connected.

I say leave the rear connected.

Oh and why in the hell wern't you driving?

...cause he was taken the pics :lol:

robselina
10-04-2004, 01:19 PM
I got a 773 on a standard 23 degree ramp with the rear connected and felt very stable, it's worth keeping IMHO....that was a stock rear swaybar, with your adco, you're going to articulate less, as is apparent in your scores....

BTW - my waggy scored an 1153 :twisted:

gearhead313
10-04-2004, 01:33 PM
it is fact that leaving the rear sway on will keep it more stable... i think its personal preference if you leave it on or not. its worth the extra flex in the back if you can deal with the tippyness. I'd rather have it disco'd IMO.

jpmtx
10-06-2004, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. It confirms what I am thinking myself.

The only reason we disconnected the rear anti-sway bar for the ramp test was to get data on all three possibilities: front and rear connected, front disconnected and rear connected, and both front and rear disconnected.

I like the way The Geezer works off-road with the front anti-sway bar disconnected and the rear one connected. It can walk up and over every obstacle I want to attempt without getting too uncomfortable in off-camber situations.

If you look at the raw numbers, I pick up 47 % more off-road articulation when I disconnect the front anti-sway. And in doing so, I normally stay withiin my off-camber stability comfort zone.

Disconnecting the rear anti-sway bar would add another 20 % more articulation on top of that. But I don't want to pay the off-camber price to get it. Someone else could easily decide differently for themselves. But that would be their decision, based on their personal preferences.

The reason I'm not driving The Geezer in the photos was that I wanted to be able to get a real good look at how the vehicle was articulating and the tires were stuffing. And you can't do that from the driver's seat. The photos give a pretty good indication of the test results. But I wanted to see everything up close for myself.

And I figured that those of you who know me had already seen enough of my mug. :D

Jim

Alaska ZJ
10-06-2004, 08:48 AM
True True.....You are one Ugly SOB.

I think your reasoning is dead on. Way to many people get way to caught up in "Flex". Everytime someone ask's me how the chuggy "Flex's" I tell them "hell if I know, last time it was on a ramp is when it had a body and I needed to check clearences."

jpmtx
10-06-2004, 09:07 PM
True, true ... and if either one of us should ever fall short in the first category, we can always more than make up for it in the second. :D :D :D