PDA

View Full Version : rustys longarms

speedmontzj
09-30-2004, 11:05 AM
the dealership i work at is about 15min from rustys shop. so rustys shit is on everything around here. a guy just brought a jetski in and it had a rustys la kit on the front, with about what looked like 8" or so and short arms in the back. the rear arms looked like they were almost straight up and down. i know that thing had to ride like shit. he said rusty is making them now. i dont use rustys stuff but thought i would pass it on, someone else might want to.

Trancezj
09-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Jetski?
When I was figuring out which LA to buy, I waited for info from rusty for a while. When he was finally able to tell me about the design, it sounded like shit. I only gave him a chance because I've had pretty good luck with him. But, I ordered an axle from him 2 weeks ago. Still don't have it.

speedmontzj
09-30-2004, 12:49 PM
it wasnt rusty or any of his crew. it was some kid having his ski winterized.
i work at a motorcycle/atv/jetski( which is actually a kawasaki) dealership selling parts.

JpRngr
09-30-2004, 08:38 PM

Alaska ZJ
10-01-2004, 09:29 AM
So this kid put a radius arm suspension on a Jetski?

Everything I have bought from Rusty has been pure Crap. But I have a buddy who swears by his stuff......Six in one hand, Half dozen in the other.

speedmontzj
10-01-2004, 10:56 AM
did it come out that bad. the kid was pulling the jetski with a grand cherokee, zj, etc. he dropped the ski off and drove away in the grand cherokee. this is the grand cherokee suspension section isn't it, if i posted this in the jetski suspension section feel free to move it.

JeepinHank
10-01-2004, 11:34 AM
did it come out that bad. the kid was pulling the jetski with a grand cherokee, zj, etc. he dropped the ski off and drove away in the grand cherokee. this is the grand cherokee suspension section isn't it, if i posted this in the jetski suspension section feel free to move it.

:D :D :D :D :D

OverkillZJ
10-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Rusty's products bring the suck.

Jcbzj
10-10-2004, 12:05 AM
Probably just the XJ 8" Long arms on the front...I dont see why you couldnt do that, if you wanted to

Jim311
10-10-2004, 05:23 PM
No, Rusty is producing a longarm kit for ZJs now, or at least he was working on it. A guy in my club has the very first longarm kit Rusty produced for ZJs on his rig. Apparently he talked to Rusty personally about it and shit. He seems to like it, but I've always thought Rusty's stuff was junk. He hasn't had any problems with the kit though.

Jcbzj
10-10-2004, 05:38 PM
I've seen a lot of people with XJ's that swear by his LA kit, and then a few who hate it. The design is pretty basic, but his stuff is usually pretty beefy. I just bought his front LA's off an XJ for cheap, so im hoping it will work with minor modifications

Kraqa
10-10-2004, 05:59 PM
its pritty hard to goof up a radius arm setup. especially if you already are in the market for making CA's. his XJ front is similar to claytons. i would be skepticle if he started building rear 4 links tho.

my $0.02

8WR_ZJ
05-16-2005, 09:51 AM
TrancZJ: Did you buy the log arm kit from rusty's is so how does it work? Does it ride good, and does it preform offroad. i am looking to spend the money for a long arm set up and was trying to find out the good and the bad from each manufactuer.

JeepinHank
05-16-2005, 10:36 AM
TrancZJ: Did you buy the log arm kit from rusty's is so how does it work? Does it ride good, and does it preform offroad. i am looking to spend the money for a long arm set up and was trying to find out the good and the bad from each manufactuer.

I've been looking at the Rusty's longarm kits... (I've got a buddy that wants to get one for his XJ)

I really don't like the idea of a bolt on longarm setup. I guess you could make it work, but I don't think it could really be done safely (in the long run) without at least welding in some sleeves to run the bolts through.

Just my opinion.

Jim311
05-16-2005, 05:30 PM
My friend who runs the kit has had serious problems tearing off the UCA mounts. He ended up fabbing his own crossmember to mount the uppers to.

8WR_ZJ
05-17-2005, 09:42 AM
So if not Rustys which kit would yall run? I pull a trailer that weighs about 3,500 pounds at least four days a week for my landscapping buisness. So i would love for it to ride good. I live about 8 hours away from any rocks so i can only go about 4-8 times a year. suck. But we do a lot of trail rides. Can yall point me in any direction as were to look. I know of a few manufatures that sell kits, (Rustys, KOR, Claytons, RC, and Rockcrawler). I have searched to try and find as much as i could about each kit but i still am undecided. I am in the process of building front and rear 9" for my jeep so i would like someting that i could easily adapt to my axles. So far i like the RC lift the best. Anything yall have to say would be appreciated

OverkillZJ
05-17-2005, 09:52 AM
Just don't get RC and rockKrawler mixed up. One's good, one's crap.

Claytons, RC, or Kevins

Jim311
05-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Honestly, if you're going to two seriously and frequently, you shouldn't be lifting. I towed at 6k trailer with my Jeep and it sucked hard. Acceleration was okay, but the ass end was squatting WAY down and handling sucked.

8WR_ZJ
05-18-2005, 08:06 AM
I believe that rockkrawler is the one that could be desgined a little better if i rember right. I only use my jeep for pulling the small trailer around because it rides better and still gets better fuel mileage than my f-350. I guess it wouldn't be that big of a deal to pull my trailer with my truck i just like my grand better. And i want to have a back up vechile just in case something goes wrong. Because me making money depends on if i can haul stuff. I should have made myself more clear when i posted before. Thanks for the help.

jsteves
05-18-2005, 12:21 PM
rockkrawler is the one that could be designed a lot better!!

Trancezj
05-19-2005, 11:46 AM
I don't thnk RK is that bad, but I definetly wouldn't tow shit with it. Hell I ripped my up rear CA mounts off just driving it. I don't think I'd tow with much over a 3" lift.

Jim311
05-19-2005, 05:46 PM
I don't thnk RK is that bad, but I definetly wouldn't tow shit with it. Hell I ripped my up rear CA mounts off just driving it. I don't think I'd tow with much over a 3" lift.

I think the RK kit gets a really undeserved reputation here. My friend beats the piss outta his ZJ with the kit, and the only problem he's had with it has been the broken track bar bracket. It's the Jeep that's falling apart around the suspension... ha.

Trancezj
05-19-2005, 05:52 PM

I think the RK kit gets a really undeserved reputation here. My friend beats the piss outta his ZJ with the kit, and the only problem he's had with it has been the broken track bar bracket. It's the Jeep that's falling apart around the suspension... ha.
exactly.

OverkillZJ
05-19-2005, 06:24 PM

They deserve every single bit of that rep, the bastards earned it. They're simply lucky no one died and relatives didn't sue their asses into oblivion. Brackts shearing off, krawler joints exploding, I think I'll spend my money on something that doesn't SUCK!

Kraqa
05-19-2005, 06:35 PM

They deserve every single bit of that rep, the bastards earned it. They're simply lucky no one died and relatives didn't sue their asses into oblivion. Brackts shearing off, krawler joints exploding, I think I'll spend my money on something that doesn't SUCK!

if the designed there junk properly then the jeep around the kit would't fall apart. look at claytons kit. no problems there.

Jim311
05-19-2005, 06:49 PM

None of that shit failed on my friend's kit, nor did any of it fail on Trance's rig. Maybe their 1st gen kits deserved a bad rap, but they're not the same company they used to be. Would I run their stuff? Doubtful, but I still think their reputation has been blown way out of proportion. When you wheel, shit breaks and brackets shear off. Nobody is asking you to buy their kits, and I'm not sure if you've run their stuff in the past, but everyone's crusade to publicly blast RK's stuff online is rather lame IMO, especially considering the majority of the people bashing it have never actually used the stuff themselves. Stuff like that might be acceptable on Pirate 4x4 where even the finest of setups are ripped to shreds, but I think we should avoid that mentality on this site personally. I'm sure plenty of RK bashers will sign into this thread and flame me for even suggesting that they lay off RK already, but I'm not into web-wheeling. I've seen stuff that looked dumb as hell when I've seen it on the internet that actually worked great when I saw it in person...

OverkillZJ
05-19-2005, 10:05 PM
None of that shit failed on my friend's kit, nor did any of it fail on Trance's rig. Maybe their 1st gen kits deserved a bad rap, but they're not the same company they used to be. Would I run their stuff? Doubtful, but I still think their reputation has been blown way out of proportion. When you wheel, shit breaks and brackets shear off. Nobody is asking you to buy their kits, and I'm not sure if you've run their stuff in the past, but everyone's crusade to publicly blast RK's stuff online is rather lame IMO, especially considering the majority of the people bashing it have never actually used the stuff themselves. Stuff like that might be acceptable on Pirate 4x4 where even the finest of setups are ripped to shreds, but I think we should avoid that mentality on this site personally. I'm sure plenty of RK bashers will sign into this thread and flame me for even suggesting that they lay off RK already, but I'm not into web-wheeling. I've seen stuff that looked dumb as hell when I've seen it on the internet that actually worked great when I saw it in person...

RK sucks, what are you gonna do about it? :finga:

But really, there's several company's out there that make GOOD setups, why go with one that has the mentality of building shit that will only hold up for mallcrawlin? Brackets shouldn't shear off, period, unless the installer welded it poorly. Fact is, it's their designs, not their installs. Don't make me bust out the pics from that thread I started a few months ago of their latest "design".

More so, as a company, I just plain don't trust them. They still defend their shit on most of the boards claiming to hold certain patent numbers on the designs, yet if you look them up you'll find the status REJECTED.

RK SUCKS. PERIOD.

I'm glad your friends and trances kits didnt' fail, but 2 kits holding up is not exactly a scientific method of deciding if the majority will hold up. They earned the rep, it's going to stick, and I don't see them building things much better to lose the rep.

Jim311
05-20-2005, 12:38 AM

RK sucks, what are you gonna do about it? :finga:

But really, there's several company's out there that make GOOD setups, why go with one that has the mentality of building shit that will only hold up for mallcrawlin? Brackets shouldn't shear off, period, unless the installer welded it poorly. Fact is, it's their designs, not their installs. Don't make me bust out the pics from that thread I started a few months ago of their latest "design".

More so, as a company, I just plain don't trust them. They still defend their shit on most of the boards claiming to hold certain patent numbers on the designs, yet if you look them up you'll find the status REJECTED.

RK SUCKS. PERIOD.

I'm glad your friends and trances kits didnt' fail, but 2 kits holding up is not exactly a scientific method of deciding if the majority will hold up. They earned the rep, it's going to stick, and I don't see them building things much better to lose the rep.

I personally could care less if you or anybody likes them. I just feel that everyone severely exagerates the problems with the kit. I read the flaming and web-wheeling about the latest production kit, but until I see it in person or run it myself I'll withhold my judgement. And like I said.. I'm not defending them, I'm more or less commenting on the mentality I've seen both here and on POR. I'd rather not see this board have a similar mentality where things that nobody has ever tried or seen in person are slammed even though those who speak the loudest haven't actually seen or run the kit themselves.

OverkillZJ
05-20-2005, 10:28 AM
I personally could care less if you or anybody likes them. I just feel that everyone severely exagerates the problems with the kit. I read the flaming and web-wheeling about the latest production kit, but until I see it in person or run it myself I'll withhold my judgement. And like I said.. I'm not defending them, I'm more or less commenting on the mentality I've seen both here and on POR. I'd rather not see this board have a similar mentality where things that nobody has ever tried or seen in person are slammed even though those who speak the loudest haven't actually seen or run the kit themselves.

That's fine, that's your opinion. I'm mostly giving you a hard time here.

I've seen the kit in person and I still hate it, but that's my opinion. Since that's the opinion I've developed from seeing it in person though, I'll continue to spread it on the boards as that's information sharing, and that's why it's here.

POR will bash things just to bash it. When I say RK sucks however, it's because I think it's a piss poor design and I feel they're a bunch of liars. If I didn't spread the feelings I had towards RK to other members of this board, I'd be cheating them and not using this board for its intended purpose: sharing knowledge.

Jeepin' Wolf
05-21-2005, 03:50 AM
I just feel that everyone severely exagerates the problems with the kit.
Yea, reputation's a bitch :finga:

nathaniel
05-21-2005, 11:57 AM
I just feel that everyone severely exagerates the problems with the kit.
Yea, reputation's a bitch :finga:

your springs suck :smt003

nate
05-21-2005, 02:13 PM
We had a guy up here put a RK long arm kit under his ZJ, and I took a look under it after it was done. I was actually scarred that it was on the road. It took alot of extra work with bracing things to make it "decent". We had a guy blow about the joint at the rear wishbone link on his 1st run, like not even halfway into it. He fixed it with electrical tape and that held it together... what kinda junk is that!

Now for Rusty's, I have never dealt with him. I know Brentt had bought a t case skid plate off him, and he was not happy by anymeans, it didn't come close to fitting. With his LA kit, just looking at it doesn't make me warm and fuzzy.

I can't find his webpage... found this though http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/rusty/rusty.html haha.

OverkillZJ
05-21-2005, 02:53 PM
I can't find his webpage... found this though http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/rusty/rusty.html haha.

LMFAO

Jim311
05-21-2005, 03:28 PM

Bwahaha

OverkillZJ
05-21-2005, 03:37 PM
by the way, the web page is http://www.rustysoffroad.com/

OverkillZJ
05-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Like a lot of kits, it'd "work" - but I wouldn't run it. I hate it when LA kits don't distribute the load over a larger area of the unibody. I think it'd hold up for a lot of people, but if you want something you can beat the piss out of on the trail and safely drive home, I don't think this is it.

Obviously, I haven't seen it in person, but I'd like to.

http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/media/suspension/zj/500lt_02.jpg[/list]

Jim311
05-21-2005, 04:40 PM
The problem my friend had was that I believe it used the stock UCA mounts, which aren't known for strength. He tore his off in the rear on a couple of occaisions. So he build a new crossmember to mount them on and hasn't had problems since.