PDA

View Full Version : How to keep our Jeep's from being stolen???

JohnBoulderCO
09-30-2004, 09:48 AM
In the aftermath of Cristi's Jeep being stolen :evil: , what do you think are the best ways to keep our Jeeps safe?

Car alarm?
Not sure if the ZJ's came with one.
The WJ's have a microchip in the key, so you can't start it without the factory key.

Additional car alarm with motion and tilt detector?
If Cristi's was towed, then the factory car alarm would't have helped.

Lo Jack?
Do those really help in finding a stolen Jeep?

I know if someone really wants it, they will take it.
I'm looking for ways to make it harder.

Trancezj
09-30-2004, 10:55 AM
lol, I can just see some low life stealing mine. Wouldn't be very hard. Rarely has doors on it, doesnt' require a key to be started, alarm is never set. Dude would get prolly 2-3 miles from my house and jump out screaming. That or we'd find it and he'd be huddled up in a little ball in the ditch shaking his ass off. LOL, I DARE someone to steal it and make a "quick" get away. buahahaha

Bulldog 6
09-30-2004, 11:24 AM
Lo jack is supposed to be the better way to go if it is available in your area.

Security systems that I have seen / heard of.

1. Hidden kill switch.
2. Lights on for vehicle to run
3. Removing coil wire, might be better to have a dummy coil wire to put on as a missing wire might be obvious to a more experienced thief.
4. Chaining vehicle to garage floor. Yeah no shit, heard it on a Mustang forum.
5. Battery interupt system
6. Ugly piece of shit not worth stealing.
7. Hidden fuel shut off, good for car jacking. Set it and get out alive. The thief won't get far by the time it runs out of gas.
8. Always park next to a nicer vehicle
9. Don't drive 1 of the top 10 stolen cars :lol:

Stuff that does not work:
1. Alarm, only a few places to mount, cut the wires then hot wire it.
2. The Club, takes a long time to saw through it, but only 5 minutes or less to cut through the steering wheel
3. Poorly hidden kill switch

If a thief wants your stuff, there is not much to do to prevent it.

Swamp boy
09-30-2004, 12:00 PM
I use both of these methods...

Ugly piece of shit not worth stealing.

Always park next to a nicer vehicle

Worked for me so far.... :D :D

Jeepinparrothead
09-30-2004, 12:44 PM
check this out it is pretty slick.......http://www.autospeed.com.au/cms/A_0059/article.html?popularArticle

jpmtx
09-30-2004, 01:01 PM
John,

This is what I understand about LOJACK.

It is definitely NOT cheap. I believe around $700 plus tax for the base unit that allows the police to track your vehicle (if in a State with LOJACK coverage) once you report your vehicle stolen ... and you provide them with the VIN number. I believe something around another $400 plus tax to add an "early warning" (motion-detector) feature to an existing system that will notify you by cell phone, pager, telephone, e-mail, fax if your vehicle is moved (driven or towed) without your permission (i.e., without one of two sensors you can carry with you on your key chain). And I believe maybe around $1,000 plus tax if you buy both features together.

I understand that the "early warning" system also gives you the opportunity to check that the system is working whenever you want to do so. Just drive (or tow) your vehicle without having the "key chain" sensor device in the vehicle and wait for the alert message by cell phone, pager, etc.

Last I heard, LOJACK was available in Texas, Arizona, Colorado and California, Washington and a bunch of other States. But not yet available in New Mexico and Utah. (You need to check me on this.)

Might not be worth it for some people. All depends on how much you have invested in your Grand ... plus mods ... plus other goodies. Just added insurance, really, paid one-time, up-front when you install the system ... without any recurring annual premiums.

Oh yeah, the system is linked to the specific VIN and is not transferable to another vehicle. So you should be planning on keeping your vehicle for at least several more years to justify the investment. It will be remaining with the vehicle if/when you get rid of it.

I have some familiarity with the LOJACK system. But I am not a LOJACK representative. So you really need to confirm everything I've posted here with them.

www.lojack.com

Jim

BigDaveZJ
09-30-2004, 01:37 PM
lol, I can just see some low life stealing mine. Wouldn't be very hard. Rarely has doors on it, doesnt' require a key to be started, alarm is never set. Dude would get prolly 2-3 miles from my house and jump out screaming. That or we'd find it and he'd be huddled up in a little ball in the ditch shaking his ass off. LOL, I DARE someone to steal it and make a "quick" get away. buahahaha

That's basically the approach I've been going with so far. Spool'd rear, no sway bars. But that doesn't matter on a tow truck.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
09-30-2004, 04:29 PM
I have a fuel pump kill swtich rigged up on mine. Not sure someone would wanna steal it anyway. :D

Steigs
09-30-2004, 04:41 PM
http://www.falcon-security.com/cgi-bin/retail/merchant.cgi?product=cat08

Coulda sworn I saw a US company that makes/sells a system like this, but I couldn't find it offhand. You rig it off your alarm system and, when triggered, it fills the interior of the vehicle with a thick smoke. If nothing else, it may provide for comic relief watching someone try to drive off in a smoke filled Jeep like some kind of Lucy skit...

robselina
09-30-2004, 05:13 PM
don't live in Boulder CO, that should do it :lol:

Jokes aside - live in rural NM, don't even carry a house key 'cause we haven't locked it in 2 years, one jeep has no doors or top and can be started w/o a key, I leave tools outside all the time.....never had anything stolen....(I guess my 110 lbs dog who's mean as fawk to strangers doesn't hurt) :lol:

JohnBoulderCO
09-30-2004, 06:43 PM
Jim,
Sounds like you know a friend or two that might have a LoJack in their rig.
I will have to check into that.

I did some digging on the net. To guard against towing, it seems we should be turning our steering wheel full lock in one direction, to keep them from towing it straight down the road from the rear.
John

Raacerx
09-30-2004, 11:23 PM
Jim,
Sounds like you know a friend or two that might have a LoJack in their rig.
I will have to check into that.

I did some digging on the net. To guard against towing, it seems we should be turning our steering wheel full lock in one direction, to keep them from towing it straight down the road from the rear.
John

gosh that sure sounds excessive to be thinking about that but I definitely understand where your coming from. Last time my Jeep got broken into, the alarm didnt even go off. Dunno what happened. Ive seen a couple jeeps with key cards. Without the card (hidden under the steering wheel) the Jeep wont start. But Id have to agree with other people...youd have to be plain STUPID to steal my Jeep or any Jeep like it. Besides the fact that its more then a handful to drive and theyd probably think the Detroit lockler was the axle falling out the back, but the carjacker would get pulled over so fast he wouldnt know what happened. No mud flaps, no fenders, registration sticker 1 year behind, cracked windshield (to name a few)...thats just asking to get caught.

Oh yeah, and only I can get the seatbelt to work. Thats always a good one.

JohnBoulderCO
10-01-2004, 01:18 AM
Looking into it, didn't say I was gonna buy it.

Turning the steering wheel is free.

gsh
10-01-2004, 01:59 AM
I saw a good one at a Jiffylube once. A BII was just finished being serviced. The tech couldn't start it to pull it out. The owner opens the door from the waiting room to the service bays and yells, "It won't start in park, put it in neutral!" I guess the park/neutral safety switch was fawked.

POSJEEP
10-01-2004, 07:57 AM
there are allot of easy things you can do to deter theives, fuel and ignition kill switches work good but like what was said " if they want it they will get it" i like chaining it to the floor but unlike a mustang its easy to crawl under with bolt cutters.
I try and keep it parked pointed at the house so if the lights go on it will wake me up .
one thing i've seen and really liked was a pager with ignition kill and relay for the fuel pump. sweet set up but i have insurance.

Alaska ZJ
10-01-2004, 09:41 AM
A few things.

Bolt Cutters will clip a steering wheel in about 1 second. Rendering the "club" useless.

Turning your wheels to prevent being towed works as long as the "tower" isn't aware of how easy it is to pop the column. I can do it without even sitting in the drivers seat. A small friend of mine uses a short crow bar.

I can bypass the factory ZJ Alarm in about 10 seconds or less.

And I have NEVER stolen a car.....Imagine what these guys can do who make a living at ripping off our hard earned vehicles.

Trancezj
10-01-2004, 10:03 AM
A few things.

Bolt Cutters will clip a steering wheel in about 1 second. Rendering the "club" useless.

Turning your wheels to prevent being towed works as long as the "tower" isn't aware of how easy it is to pop the column. I can do it without even sitting in the drivers seat. A small friend of mine uses a short crow bar.

I can bypass the factory ZJ Alarm in about 10 seconds or less.

And I have NEVER stolen a car.....Imagine what these guys can do who make a living at ripping off our hard earned vehicles.
Seriously though. ZJ's with their factory ASSlarms give the illusion of being secure. They're not in the least. I could be in a locked zj with the alarm disabled in like 2 minutes.

OverkillZJ
10-01-2004, 04:40 PM
My plan is fullproof: Leave it parked for 8 months out of the year with either blown diffs ore no axles.

It does't even roll :P

JohnBoulderCO
10-04-2004, 01:31 PM
Sounds like they used a big screw driver or tool to open the door.

Then used some sort of tool on the ignition, to turn it and start it.

ZJ owners, I would add a kill switch, to the ignition or fuel system, maybe both.

WJ owners, the factory key has a micro chip, without it, the Jeep won't start, acts like an ingnition kill switch. But...I may add a second kill switch, don't know if any "master keys" exist.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
10-04-2004, 03:23 PM

i doubt anyone would steal yours. Looks like its already been stolen, molested, beat up, and chopped to pieces. :lol:

But in a good way. :wink:

Bulldog 6
10-04-2004, 03:37 PM
one thing i've seen and really liked was a pager with ignition kill and relay for the fuel pump. sweet set up but i have insurance.

I knew a guy with an older pager alarm. He woke up to the pager going off and watched his car drive away.

BlackDiamondBound
10-05-2004, 01:39 AM
sorry for the noob question but how do you go about making a kill switch for the fuel or the ignition?

you cant just run wire from where the fues goes in to a switch then to the fues can you? wont they see that? or do i just have the totaly wrong concept

JohnBoulderCO
10-05-2004, 05:03 AM
sorry for the noob question but how do you go about making a kill switch for the fuel or the ignition?

you cant just run wire from where the fues goes in to a switch then to the fues can you? wont they see that? or do i just have the totaly wrong concept

Yep, as easy as that. Put the switch somewhere easy to use, or you won't use it. But keep it out of sight.

rizzo
10-05-2004, 09:26 AM
OMG, that is so horrible!

In my WJ, I am running an aftermarket fuel cell and pump. It requires me to have a 30A relay in it. I modified a hidden kill switch for the relay in the vehicle. I hooked it up to the ignition and leave it on all day...but when I go to bed, I switch it off. It is not like the neighborhood wouldn't wake up when it was started, but it is a precaution for me to sleep better.

I find that alarm system's are shit. All that they do is go off and anoy people. Most don't even turn in the diection anymore.

The WJ having a chip in the key is worthless. John, go to ACE Hardware and have them make you a spare metal key with no chip in it...put it in the ignition and tell me what happens. In mine, the vehicle will start and EXACTLY 2 miles down the road, it will automatically shut off. When I tried to restart it, NOTHING whatsoever will happen...but there is a 2 mile window for someone to drive off with it and that is more than enough distance to load it right on a flatbed truck.
I am sure that most are aware of this...seeing how when I went to have my alarm installed they told me of this.
ALSO, when you hav an aftermarket alarm installed, like a Clifford or Viper, you no longer retain the chip in your key. There is a bypass that must be installed into the WJ that disables this system from working. I can use the metal key and drive it all day long because of my alarm system's bypass.

So there are pros and cons to every thing that you look at EXCEPT a hidden kill switch.

JohnBoulderCO
10-05-2004, 09:50 AM
OK, I will try that key test and see what happens.
Will let you know what mine does.

rizzo
10-05-2004, 09:56 AM
Really, there is no safe thing to prevent a thief except hidden switches...maybe a few of them would suade them away, but I guess if they just cut them...BLack = ground, red = power, they will just end up stealing it anyways. A motivated thief will stop at nothing to accomplish their tasks.

JohnBoulderCO
10-05-2004, 10:50 AM
That's true, I was looking for ways to slow them down.
If it takes too long, maybe they will leave for fear of being busted.

I'm still trying your key test, I bet it won't run at all.

Jeep would be afraid of a lawsuit if it stopped running 2 miles down a freeway in southern cal.

rizzo
10-05-2004, 11:18 AM
John, you will be very suprised when you do it. In fact, I about shit myself...and I didn't do it until I was in So Cal...after that is when I had my alarm installed.

I totally agree...my whole objective was to make the thief so pissed that he would just slash my seats or steal my toll change. I wanted him to be so frustrated that he would just leave. Then I would have won. BUT some are so motivated to steal that rig and take it to Mexico.
I can not tell you how many motorcycles were stolen from my apt complex in San Diego and were never found. I know exactly where they are...MEXICO. It is 15 miles and my complex was right off the 15 by the stadium...it is merely a 12 minute ride to the boarder where stolen bikes are never to be seen again.

AprilzWarrior
10-21-2004, 01:11 AM
Almost everyone that knows me.... understands that I own a Rather Large Back Hoe... and many weapons.... I keep a 1911A1 .45 in the bottom drawer of my Snap-On Roll Away...

Oh yeah... I live on 80acres too...

http://fototime.com/BD43A5B4DEDFBBC/standard.jpg

:lol: :lol: :twisted:

JohnBoulderCO
10-21-2004, 01:22 AM

In that trailer? Behind the back hoe?

Nordic1
10-21-2004, 01:40 AM
Almost everyone that knows me.... understands that I own a Rather Large Back Hoe... and many weapons.... I keep a 1911A1 .45 in the bottom drawer of my Snap-On Roll Away...

And he's used it too... oh crap I've said to much

Taz
10-24-2004, 03:27 PM
Mine was broken into when I was living in Scottsdale. The factory alarm went off and the punks bolted, they got away w/nothing. I used to pull my fuel pump, and ASD relays out everynight, but I'm living back up north where crime is pretty much nill up here on hte lake. But I've thought about a fuel pump kill switch, ign kill switch, and NSS kill switch so the truck would think it's in reverse or drive.

notevensure
10-24-2004, 04:02 PM
My cousin's ZJ was broken into but luckily enough my cousin and two friends walked out a few minutes after they broke into it. When they saw the person in there and said, "Who the hell is that?" The kid ran out of the Jeep and his two friends ran after the kid (didn't catch him) and my cousin ran to his Jeep. Fortunately, the person wasn't able to steal the two 12" subs in the back, the amp, his CDs, or his CD Player.

Just park your Grand Cherokee on top of a rock or something, that way itll be harder to climb up to...

AprilzWarrior
10-24-2004, 04:46 PM

In that trailer? Behind the back hoe?

a Horse Trailer ? jackass.

LouisianaZJ
10-24-2004, 06:20 PM
aware of this...seeing how when I went to have my alarm installed they told me of this.
ALSO, when you hav an aftermarket alarm installed, like a Clifford or Viper, you no longer retain the chip in your key. There is a bypass that must be installed into the WJ that disables this system from working. I can use the metal key and drive it all day long because of my alarm system's bypass. .

this is only on alarms with REMOTE start installed. alarms w/o remote start retain the factory chip

notevensure
10-24-2004, 06:22 PM
I'm sure that instead of a kill switch, you could make it so that whenever the Jeep's engine is on, red and blue lights will flash in the back. Robber wont know it and, if a cop sees it, will pull them over.

Maybe also put a light somewhere in the dash in case you accidentally leave it on, you'll know.

2drezq
11-16-2004, 01:13 PM
How about 50cc of C4 packed around the steering column with a 5 minute delay on the detonator?
(You'd only forget to disarm it once.)

KevinM
12-06-2004, 11:20 AM
Hey Guys, just picked up on this thread. My Jeep was broken into and almost stolen on Friday night. I thought "who would steal my Jeep" just like everyone else. Well, a couple immigrants looking to run the border with a car full of people would!!!

Living close to the border sucks. Anyway, thinking of what would have happened had the parking lot security guard not stopped the thieves is scary. All the time and money spent on my Jeep gone.

I am looking at getting a lojack now, even though it costs a ton, I know I can get my Jeep back.

Kevin

jpmtx
12-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Kevin,

Be sure to question LoJack about the timeliness of their "early alert" notification. If I recall correctly, they indicate it might take 30 minutes to one hour to work through their system and get to you. Good enough for me normally to get an "early alert" to the local police department. But not sure if that would be quick enough for you given how close you are to the Mexican border.

You might want to look into a quicker, pager-type "alert" device, offered by someone else, that would activate as soon as someone forced entry into your Jeep. That might be a better complement for you to the LoJack tracking system if you go that route. I believe there are some out there.

Jim

POSJEEP
12-07-2004, 12:04 PM

I knew a guy with an older pager alarm. He woke up to the pager going off and watched his car drive away.

at least he could report it stolen right away http://northeastjeep.org/forum/images/smiles/character13.gif soon as its in the chop shop there is no return!
http://northeastjeep.org/forum/images/smiles/poundit.gif
maybe wire in a remote tazer into the seat just be carefull who has the remote lol

KevinM
12-07-2004, 01:09 PM
That is a good thought, I didn't know it takes that long to activate. I am getting an alarm with a pager however. They say it has a 1/2 mile range but they say it can be increased. That should be good, it will have a fuel cut off and ignition kill.

jpmtx
12-07-2004, 11:02 PM
The exact wording in the LoJack Early Warning Recovery System Owner's Manual is:

"Typically, you are notified within 15-30 minutes after your vehicle begins moving without the Key Pass and no more than 1 hour. However, this time may vary."

For me, the main benefit of LoJack remains the ability of the local police to locate and track your vehicle via GPS once you alert them that it has been stolen. But I would probably want a quicker "early alert" system than LoJack offers if I were real close to the border.

You could order the LoJack tracking system separately, without their "early alert' feature, and shop around for a pager system that would alert you immediately if your vehicle were tampered with. That would be the best of both worlds.

Jim

jpmtx
12-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Yippee!!! I'm not a noOB! any more. :D :D :D

OverkillZJ
12-08-2004, 12:12 AM

....I can fix that for you ya know.... :lol:

jpmtx
12-08-2004, 01:31 AM
:shock:

Nordic1
12-08-2004, 01:35 AM

http://www.fototime.com/%7B5869CDD7-B325-413D-88AE-E507592105DD%7D/picture.GIF

POSJEEP
12-08-2004, 01:32 PM

http://www.fototime.com/%7B5869CDD7-B325-413D-88AE-E507592105DD%7D/picture.GIF
http://www.palletmastersworkshop.com/images/jackass.jpg

Tommy
12-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Don't the factory alarms have a fuel cutoff of somesort. Whe I bought my jeep the stealership said it didn't have a factory, not knowing I bought an alarm fron them. So one day while on a business trip the wife takes the jeep, along with the morther inlaw. My mom locked the doors using the interior doorlocks and my wife armed the new alarm with here alarm clicker. They go to enter the jeep and the factory alarm goes off. She thinks that the new alarm is f'd up and keeps arming and disarming. Jeeps honking for like 45 min. And she calls me crying. She started the jeep and it woul start briefly and just turn off. She had no clue that if you go to the passenger door and insert the key to unlock the door the factory alarm will turn off. So I have two alarms, can be a PIA sometimes..