PDA

View Full Version : Chevy 1 Ton Steering FAB VIDEO

AprilzWarrior
09-27-2004, 09:19 PM
This is me doing all the work, and its a guy from NAGCA.... his gal pal was filming me the whole time...

Its kidna cool...

Right Click Save As
http://www.caoffroaders.com/steering92504/steeringvideo.wmv

AW :D

MaineZJ
09-27-2004, 09:27 PM
Nice :mrgreen:
2 questions: How do you know how far to ream for the TRE's.
and do the TRE's not fit on top of the arms (where they probably hit the rim)?

AprilzWarrior
09-27-2004, 09:36 PM
1. Ream until you are happy with the fitment of the TRE. IE Test Fit and ream some more.

2. The 1 Ton TRE fits above and below the knuckles just fine, even with stock wheels.

HTH
AW

Raacerx
09-27-2004, 10:13 PM
:D

Anything to combat the dead spot? I thought that with my histeer it wouldnt be as much of an issue with the angle but there is a good bit of rotation in the middle of the steering. Ive tried different TRE positions and such. Any advice Jrod?

Pearce
09-27-2004, 10:36 PM
The TRE's didnt fit on top of my knuckles without spacing the wheels out. I had 4.5" of BS and they required a small spacer. Those were black steels. So unless you have 16" wheels I would be surprised if the stock 15" fit, of course the inside of a 15" aluminum could be different than a steel.

Nordic1
09-28-2004, 03:05 AM
I kinda wish I had done under the knuckle but whatever. BTT about the dead spot. I heard the ony way was to do cross-over.

chadjans
09-28-2004, 03:44 AM
Why didn't you freeze the inserts instead of pounding them in?

nathaniel
09-28-2004, 05:54 PM
BS on #2 If they are over there is no way 15" stock whhels will clear
I know I tried to put my 32's on stock sawblades and they dont fit
Nathaniel

1. Ream until you are happy with the fitment of the TRE. IE Test Fit and ream some more.

2. The 1 Ton TRE fits above and below the knuckles just fine, even with stock wheels.

HTH
AW

Alaska ZJ
09-28-2004, 06:01 PM
Nice glove, yah fuckin Nancy.

AprilzWarrior
10-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Why didn't you freeze the inserts instead of pounding them in?

I did that... I just tapped that one in with the Brass Hammer, the others went in just fine...

Those holes I drilled for the Plug Weld left little burrs inside, thats why you see me tapping it in.

AW

AprilzWarrior
10-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Nathaniel

I replied to thise BULLSHIT/Ignorant Comment, but it was deleted by someone !!!!

:roll:

nathaniel
10-01-2004, 10:35 PM
Ok here is the what happened when I put them on. They looked good until you actually put the lug nuts on tight then they will NOT fit. At least on the passenger side. I didn't bother with test fitting the drivers side since its pointless. That with the same setup as you just did on a HP30 with ZJ knuckles. They would probably fit with 1/4" wheel spacers but the studs for the lugneuts would be too short for the stock wheels.

BTW this was right before GSW so I could make the trip geared at 4.10 with 32" instead of 35" I ended up driving with just 32's on the back

I suppose if you reamed the knuckle way out then they might fit.

Nathaniel

I replied to thise BULLSHIT/Ignorant Comment, but it was deleted by someone !!!!

:roll:

AprilzWarrior
10-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Ok here is the what happened when I put them on. They looked good until you actually put the lug nuts on tight then they will NOT fit. At least on the passenger side. I didn't bother with test fitting the drivers side since its pointless. That with the same setup as you just did on a HP30 with ZJ knuckles. They would probably fit with 1/4" wheel spacers but the studs for the lugneuts would be too short for the stock wheels.

BTW this was right before GSW so I could make the trip geared at 4.10 with 32" instead of 35" I ended up driving with just 32's on the back

I reamed it out at the stock point... not changing the pitch of the Taper. The ONLY thing that I can think of is this guys ZJ had CANYON WHEELS... opposed to Saw Blades OR SnowFlakes... ?????

But to say it just WONT work is not the case here ! Thats my point... if you had been more clear by giving a description on which wheel didnt work, it would be a great help for those others wanting to do this upgrade and not get screwed at the very end when the wheels go back on.

Cheers

AW

Pearce
10-02-2004, 10:51 AM
I want to see pic of it fitting on the top. I just dont see it working. Hate to question you on it, but there was no way with my steel wheels, and I can't figure the saw blades are that much different from a stock ZJ canyon. Are you sure it wasnt that TJ looking canyon which might have a different BS? Also with the amount of movement in the TRE, it could be in a good position at one point and then a worse the next.

AprilzWarrior
10-02-2004, 08:48 PM
Ill see if I can get some pics for ya...

nathaniel
10-04-2004, 05:52 PM
Mine was with changing to the 1.5 per foot that its supposed to be not putting the inserts in.

I reamed it out at the stock point... not changing the pitch of the Taper. The ONLY thing that I can think of is this guys ZJ had CANYON WHEELS... opposed to Saw Blades OR SnowFlakes... ?????

But to say it just WONT work is not the case here ! Thats my point... if you had been more clear by giving a description on which wheel didnt work, it would be a great help for those others wanting to do this upgrade and not get screwed at the very end when the wheels go back on.

Cheers

AW