PDA

View Full Version : Axle Experts...I need help! (8.8 wobble)

JOE
09-27-2004, 04:34 PM
I put on a new rear driveshaft the other day and while I had the rear axle on jack stands I decided to start the jeep and put it in Drive to just check everything over. I noticed the pass side tire wobbling ALOT. I then took the tire/wheel off and did that again.....Still even then I could watch the shaft go up and down and up and down. I put a new shaft in....no difference. Then I took out the carrier with the mini spool in it, and put in the LSD carrier....NO DIFFERENCE! still wobbling. just the pass. side. Does anyone have a clue as to what i should check/do now...besides get a stronger axle (which I will eventually).
Thanks!

Alaska ZJ
09-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Bent housing?

That would suck.

FYI, my 8.8 wobbled a bit but I never had a problem. I had a guy follow me once to tell me that my tire was loose even.

Pearce
09-27-2004, 05:22 PM
you sure the replacement shaft is not also bent? I have that problem with my YJ's 9". The one I put in was bent, and then the one I replaced it with is bent a little less. Still need to get my ass to pull-a-part to find another.

If I'm not mistaken the bearings are pressed into the housing. Just for fun you could stick it in the other side and see what it does. Asuming its the long side thats bent. Or put it in a lathe?

JOE
09-27-2004, 09:36 PM
no, I'm not sure that the replacement is not bent, and I'm not sure that the one that was in there was bent...... I will mic the shafts sometime this week and see if they are bent. Thats a good idea....but it's the short side that I'm having problems with.

JOE
09-30-2004, 07:25 PM
F**k it. I need somthing stronger than the 8.8 anyways. i wonder if it was the spool that messed things up

Raacerx
09-30-2004, 11:13 PM
wouldnt that be a toasted end axle bearing?

BMRisko
09-30-2004, 11:27 PM

My thoughts exactly.

JOE
10-01-2004, 11:53 AM

My thoughts exactly.

thats what i though, but then i pulled both shafts and pulled the mini spool out, and put the jeep in drive and I could watch the carrier rock inside the axle....

and yes, I tried another carrier that i have to make sure it's not the carrier bearings.

OverkillZJ
10-01-2004, 04:46 PM
ib60'sotw

JOE
10-03-2004, 08:12 PM
ib60'sotw

huh?