PDA

View Full Version : need help 42RE-->AW4 swap

DeathWobbleZJ
09-26-2004, 01:05 PM
besides having to get the driveshafts and Tranny Control Module from the 93-93.5ZJ what else am i going to have to do.

sorry i sound lame, im doing homework, and searching and whatnot.

i have access to a rebuilt AW4 locally for 300, with crossmember, and "all the wiring and stuff you need" basicly i get to take from the rolled vehicle what i need to get it done....

what do you guys think?

Kraqa
09-26-2004, 06:32 PM
don't have any info for you but this is definatly on my to do list. get in contact with alaska he has done it. i'm ure he'll chime in with some good tech info.

Alaska ZJ
09-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Actually I just bought a ZJ that had a AW$ in it....1993 baby. The OG

K2
07-22-2005, 04:24 AM
Anybody done this swap? Is it bolt in? My tranny needs rebuild #2.

K2

dfreeman616
08-02-2005, 06:23 PM
i'm looking to mate a 318 and a aw4, also...so if anyone finds out anything, let me know please!

by the way, i'm dfreeman on michiganjeepers

LouisianaZJ
08-02-2005, 08:26 PM
http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/aw4.htm

dfreeman616
08-02-2005, 10:22 PM
thanks for the link, but we're looking for a 318/5.2l V8 to aw4, and as best i can tell that link is for a 4.0L. which, of course, is fairly easy.

LouisianaZJ
08-02-2005, 10:26 PM
umm no the quesion was about a 42 re swap, 4.0l trans

dfreeman616
08-03-2005, 03:45 PM
yes, swapping from a 42re
http://jeep.avtograd.ru/Grand_Cherokee/transmission/42RE/images/42REpic.gif
to an aw4, that's what i said.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/images/pics/aw4_rlq.jpg

TrojanMan
08-04-2005, 02:35 AM
dfreeman616 : he posted the link for DeathWobbleZJ, not for you.

That writeup might be a little off, considering the AW4 involved in the swap is OBDII, the AW4 from a 1993 would be OBDI.

LouisianaZJ
08-04-2005, 02:48 AM
ture

but read a little further in the article

Here's what happens...it runs perfect!! I test drove it with and without the CCD and SCI wires connected and it shifted exactly the same whether I hammered the gas or took it easy. It braked exactly the same and idled the same. The best part was that I no longer get any error codes when I scan the PCM. The PCM is happy thinking it still has a manual tranny behind it. It gets RPM info from the tach, and output speed info from the speedometer and its happy like before the swap. Now the TCM I think is getting everything it needs too. The tranny has its own input and output speed sensors. So the TCM knows the engine RPM, and of course the output RPM's. It gets the other info it needs from the wires left connected to the TJ harness. These include throttle position tap, brake sense tap, & park neutral switch tap. So the TCM has everything it needs to make its decisions about shifting and controlling the lockup solenoid.

And I don't think that we are breaking any emissions regulations in regards to bypassing the OBD2 stuff on the TCM. Our TJ's never had any OBD2 controls on the tranny prior to the swap so technically I don't believe we are required to integrate the OBD2 TCM into the data link connector.
Now if for some reason the tranny is misbehaving and you want to pull other codes from the TCM all you have to do is hook up the CCD + and - as well as the SCI transmit wire. Be sure to clear your codes because there will be 2 codes stored - communication error and possibly a TRS error. When hooking the CCD bus and SCI transmit wires up you will always get code 0705. Ignore that code. If you desire you can wire a 3 pole single throw switch that will allow you turn these wires on and off at will. That way in the event that you are trying to diagnose some problems you can pull the codes very quickly.

i dont know if this will help in you case though

TrojanMan
10-08-2005, 12:41 AM
So i'm starting to look seriously into this...

What year does the XJ have an AW4 OBDII? Does it start in 96 like I would think, or 98 like the parts list in one of the write-ups might suggest?

Also, Would I just need the aw4 (with accessories like cables & such), TCM, and harness? I'm thinking maybe I can snag the 93ZJ shifter & bezel (I have one in my bone yard)... would the 93 shifter fit in my 96?

Hopefully soon i'll do the swap and make a good writeup for ZJ's so the next guy won't have to ask.

LWB
10-08-2005, 07:55 AM
I'm doing an AW4 swap into my '93 right now- MoPar doesn't list different part numbers for the AW4/42re driveshafts IIRC in the ZJ.

The 242 shifter and bezel will swap right in from '93-'98, and you can just swap the shift gate onto the shifter you already have, but it is a bit of a PITA. (The local JY will give me the gate, but wants $30 for the shifter) You will have to pull the shifter regardless of whether you swap the whole thing or just the gate.

If you are asking about tranny shifters, I haven't looked up the part numbers on those yet, but I would think they would be a straight shot as well. (It is possible that the trans tunnel section changed for the AW4 version to the 42re, I guess I'll find out when I get into it) I'm sure I may have to cobble up some shift linkage, and I'll see what I can do with the original stuff from my '93, some XJ stuff from the JY, and sum mAd faBriCaTion sKiLLz, yo.

I'll let you know how it shakes out.

AW4 to 5.2 will not happen- too much work to be worth it.

TrojanMan
10-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Sweet.. even though yours is still OBDI and mine is OBDII... your project will help me with mine because you are in a ZJ and the two writeups i've seen were both TJ's. Take alot of pictures, do a writeup afterwards.. and when I do mine I'll add onto it for the 96+ guys.

jeepnfl
05-05-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm digging this out of the archives. Has anyone completed this swap yet? Also does anyone know for sure which year XJ's/ZJ's were OBDI/OBDII?

J B
05-05-2006, 12:58 PM
I'm digging this out of the archives. Has anyone completed this swap yet? Also does anyone know for sure which year XJ's/ZJ's were OBDI/OBDII?

OBD II was federally mandated for all vehicles for the '96 model year.

MUDDTRACKS
05-05-2006, 04:25 PM
dont know if this helps at all

I put a 88 aw-4 in my 98 zj with a http://www.awshifting.com/index.html
joystick shifter

I had to redrill the flywheel,make a bracket for the cps on the bellhousing, make a bracket for the shift link and make a new trans mount

Other than that it was 4ires to the tranns and one wire to a 12v ignition lead and a jump wire to the ns switch.

This made the tranns fully manual but it works great.

Angelous
05-05-2006, 04:54 PM
why dont u just take your dodge tranny and build it right. build it for wheelin, thats what I did in my 93 ZJ. Buy an overdrive planet set with 5 pin gears that are straight cut instead of the usual 3 pin helicut gears. Then get u a Good convertor not some dacco or transtar convertor - maybe a precision (sp?) convertor. Then mount you a big ass tranny cooler and bypass your freakin restricted radiator. Get you a tranny temp gauge and keep an eye on the temps. I have had no problems since then. If u need any pointers just holla at me.

goodolboy71
05-05-2006, 11:54 PM
for the right amount i know where 3 ZJ's with aw4's are that i can pull the tcu and wiring from...or you i can give you the #'s to the place and see if you can get them to pull it and send it to ya...pm me if ya want them....i currently have one for myself with a aw4 sitting in the garage and all the wiring scematics

nick_n_ii
06-28-2008, 10:21 PM
I know old post but I'm still looking for info. I'm doing a swap of a AW4 from a '93 XJ(I have the whole Jeep for parts and wireing) into my '94 ZJ what are the mager problems, I have 4 days to complete this swap and have it run able...

TrojanMan
06-28-2008, 11:25 PM
The mechanical part is easy. The only hard part is getting the electrical right.

nick_n_ii
06-29-2008, 12:06 PM
That I figured out, And so far any that have done the swap on a OBDI ZJ hasn't finished it or did a write up about it.

mendelmax
08-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Hi guys. I'm new on this board, but not new to the jeep world at all ;)

Are there any new info about these swaps? Has anyone tested how it works out with OBDI? I'm asking because I'm preparing to do the same thing on my friends 93 ZJ, and I wouldn't like to find any fatal problems during install...

It's always good to know that someone was there before :/

ernurse
08-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Yeah, me too. I cannot find a completed AW4 OBD II into OBD I swap. I have a 98 XJ with tranny, TCM, and complete wiring harness sitting in the back yard just waiting to go in my 95 ZJ. I hope the 42RE holds out a while longer.

mendelmax
08-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Theoretically the swap should be easier and more error-forgiving, since OBDI monitors much less sensors, but I'd love to know if someone tried it in practice.
As for the OBDII into OBDI swap, it might be possible, that you will need OBDI tcm (not sure on that, just speculating), but mechanically the tranny is exactly the same.
The electronics were different though, look at the simple change- comfort/power button.

We already have the tranny (totally worn out, with all wires cut, but for about $150- great deal here in Poland), and I guess we will begin to work on it on september, october at most. If we'll find anything interesting I will post it ASAP.

The engine for the stroker is also ready :smt077 It will be a loooong winter in the garage :smt041

mysticranger
09-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Hi Guys...

i'd also be f***ing interested in this swap as my 2nd 42RE is obviously dyein'...
If someone has completed the swap AW4->42RE/RH please gimme your knowledge.

As my ZJ (95) as a daily driver must take me to work from monday to friday i'd be also very interested in teh time you spent on the swap...

Thanx for your help and best regards,
Ivo

dirty
09-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Hi Guys...

i'd also be f***ing interested in this swap as my 2nd 42RE is obviously dyein'...
If someone has completed the swap AW4->42RE/RH please gimme your knowledge.

As my ZJ (95) as a daily driver must take me to work from monday to friday i'd be also very interested in teh time you spent on the swap...

Thanx for your help and best regards,
Ivo

Search.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11572&highlight=42RE+AW4+swap

ernurse
09-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Search.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11572&highlight=42RE+AW4+swap
Belive me, I have searched. What I (and I think some of the others) am looking for is OBDII into OBDI swap. I have 98 AW4 to go into 95ZJ. I do have the complete wiring harness (not that I'd know where everything goes) still in the XJ. I'm almost tempted to try to just ahead and swap the engine and tranny from the XJ into the ZJ.

dirty
10-01-2008, 03:17 AM
Belive me, I have searched. What I (and I think some of the others) am looking for is OBDII into OBDI swap. I have 98 AW4 to go into 95ZJ. I do have the complete wiring harness (not that I'd know where everything goes) still in the XJ. I'm almost tempted to try to just ahead and swap the engine and tranny from the XJ into the ZJ.

I see, well going backwards should be easier than going forwards. Best I can do is look at what connectors my ZJ came with. It's a '93 with factory AW4.

mysticranger
10-01-2008, 05:35 AM
Yeah, my rig's a OBDI as well...
And i'd be even more easy to satisfy as i plan to swap OBDI > OBDI...
All i'm concerned bout is the wiring stuff.

As we have very strict emission laws here for older vehicles i can't ride a rig with the CEL running. They will detect this during emission testing.
So i need a really bomb proof wiring on this swap.

mendelmax
05-19-2009, 03:49 AM
Ok, so I'd just like to update, that the AW-4 swap into 93 ZJ has been performed last week. From mechanical problems we had to lenghten/shorten driveshafts by 1.5", and that was it. We didn't even change the shifter, just the bezel, but if someone don't mind it showing improper position- you can leave the old one as it is.

Electrical connections were pretty easy, but you have to be very focused at what you are doing, since you have to reuse some of the 42RE pins (like neutral for starter relay), and generally there are a lot of wires to connect.

Though we left the original PCM for now, the rig runs fine. It has only thrown O/D off lamp obviously, but surprisingly the lamp went off after some time and hasn't returned since. Probably, using the XJ PCM will solve this problem, which I recommend. We will soon change it (we have it anyways, bought together with the tranny, but we were curious whether the 42RE pcm will work- it did). There is no CHECK ENGINE or any other problems so far.

Now the tranny itself didn't make a night and day difference in terms of performance, but it shifts much better than 42RE did. Now I'm considering making my own TCM, to make it programmable for my own shift points. The reason of doing so is that this tranny sits behind the stroker, which obviously has much different powerband than original 4.0 had.

ernurse
05-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Too bad you didn't do a writeup with pics. Thanks for the update.

mendelmax
05-20-2009, 02:57 AM
Well, it wouldn't differ much from the one that is currently on this site, (which on a side note was extremely helpful, even though it was for OBD II) so I decided there's no need to make another one. And we were in a little rush, since we are going to use this rig in a local offroad rally next week.

Generally, I recommend this swap to anyone who has dying 42RE and had done multiple mods to his rig- this is a great opportunity to make proper driveshafts lengths :)

spykosshow
06-03-2009, 12:46 AM
Find my build thread. I did a 99xj swap into a 96zj.

daverobb@rewedmonton
06-15-2009, 03:52 PM
why dont u just take your dodge tranny and build it right. build it for wheelin, thats what I did in my 93 ZJ. Buy an overdrive planet set with 5 pin gears that are straight cut instead of the usual 3 pin helicut gears. Then get u a Good convertor not some dacco or transtar convertor - maybe a precision (sp?) convertor. Then mount you a big ass tranny cooler and bypass your freakin restricted radiator. Get you a tranny temp gauge and keep an eye on the temps. I have had no problems since then. If u need any pointers just holla at me.

I was thinking the same thing. Rebuild the 42RE upgrade to an SMR valve body and torque converter, add a deep pan and proper cooler and your 42RE will out last any AW4. The AW4 was a great trans in the XJ but the ZJ is too heavy for it. JMHO!

MUDDTRACKS
06-20-2009, 03:13 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Rebuild the 42RE upgrade to an SMR valve body and torque converter, add a deep pan and proper cooler and your 42RE will out last any AW4. The AW4 was a great trans in the XJ but the ZJ is too heavy for it. JMHO!

Fuck all that might as well do a v-8 swap if u want to spend all that money.

Plus i think the aw-4 is a much better trans. I beat the shit out of my aw-4 and she just keeps kicking as strong. Last time I check i was at 5,100 pounds on 37x14 Irocks Most times shifting at the rev limiter.;)

Flexdxj
01-27-2010, 02:44 AM
So I take it this is not easy when swapping an OBDII AW4 into and OBDI ZJ? Well crap back to the drawing board! Didn't even think about the on board diagnostics! Sorry for reviving a dead thread but My buddy needs a Trans for his ZJ and I have a wrecked 97 XJ to pull parts from.