PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk winch safety

Trancezj
09-23-2004, 10:18 AM
I'm amazed at howmany peolpe don't know anything about using a winch in a safe way. In a club I ride with, no one EVER puts an anchor in the middle of the cable. That's just stupid. I'm not the most in the know person either, so I'd like to know some things that I haven't thought of.
Biggest one is

Anchor in the middle. A coat, anything. I keep a pair of tube socks that are tied together with tennis balls in the ends to use.

Spectators clear

Being aware of what you're cable is draging over

Checking for freyed(sp?) line

making sure that you're attatched to a good anchor point on whatever vehicle

Making sure the tree you may be using isn't dead. I've seen a couple of trees fall.... after I'd suggested finding another tree.

That's all I can think of. But I'd like to know more because if you think about how much load is on that cable, it could cut you in half.

BMRisko
09-23-2004, 12:24 PM
-Always use a tree strap. We don't need to be damaging trees and giving the eco-nazis more reasons to start closing trails.

-Gloves are good when handling the winch rope.

-Use a winch safety strap and have someone add tension to the line when re-spooling so you don't get your hand winched in and you get a good re-wrap of the cable.

Here is a link to the Recovery Bible thanks to BillaVista and POR. I HIGHLY suggest that everyone print it out and set it next to the crapper. Its some long, but good and worthwhile reading.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/index.html

deadman
09-23-2004, 01:05 PM
ditch the steel cable

Trancezj
09-23-2004, 01:22 PM
ditch the steel cablethe terrain I winch in prolly would eat a syn cable quickly.

BMRisko
09-23-2004, 02:13 PM
ditch the steel cablethe terrain I winch in prolly would eat a syn cable quickly.

Most synthetics nowadays come with some sort of guard. If not, garden hose works well to shield the rope from any rocks you may be winching against. After seeing synthetic cable in action I will definately spend the extra cash to get one.

Swamp boy
09-23-2004, 05:45 PM
I carry an old blanket that I throw across my cable.. I have seen lots of guys just standing between the winch point and the vehicle.. With no type of anchor what-so-ever.. Its scarey... And I Use a shakle on the hook to rewind the cable...Easy to handle and keeps your fingers clear...

I have printed Billa Vista's write up about 10 times for friends as they buy winches... Its top notch..

Carl

JeepinHank
09-24-2004, 10:01 AM
Some things I've used for weights / anchors on the cable:

- Floor mat
- Blanket
- Heavy Coat
- Chain w/ a towel wrapped around it
- Those strap on Ankle weights - these are especially nice to have in your winch bag. Most of them are made of a pretty mud/water resistant material, and if you have a pair you can cover both sides of a line through a snatch block independently. Also, they're smaller than most of the other things you can use for weights so they take up less of your cargo room. Plus - I hate putting a muddy blanket back in my ride - with these weights you can rinse them off a little and toss them right in. I was trying to have some made in bright red or safety yellow, and market them specifically for winching applications, but I wasn't really in the mood to deal with all of the product liability issues.

Something else that's good to have around if you have to winch another vehicle is a set of wheel chocks. I don't like the idea of tying the rear of my ZJ off to something while I winch someone, and its not good for your brakes to hold everything - plus you still run the risk of sliding.

Always think out your plan before you start the recovery process. Make sure you know where you're going and how you plan to get there. Know what your connecting to - make sure its solid. If you're hooking up to a rock - make sure its big enough not to move. If its a tree - tie off low - and make sure its substantial enough to hold. Chain is better to hook up to a rock since a strap can fray. Definately a strap for trees though. If you're having to pull over something, use a fallen tree limb for the cable to slide over instead of over the ground / rocks.

Know your danger zone and keep everyone clear of it. Its not just the area between the two points. Think about where that cable can end up. Keep the suggested number of wraps on the drum (usually 5 or 6 wraps). The wraps are what keep the line on the drum - not that little eye on the end.

Release some of the tension when taking a break or having to rearrange something. Anytime someone is going to approach the winch - back it off a little bit.

And keep your damn controller with you. The winch won't do you a bit of good if you can't use it. Been there done that. :roll:

Alaska ZJ
09-24-2004, 10:10 AM

No it wouldn't. AK wheels just as much Muck and Plasma is the way to go.

HANDSAVER and GLOVES. I have seen a buddy pull two fingers off in a winch mishap.

If you notice all of the new winches coming from warn have a Handsaver incorperated into the cable themselves. You can thank Alaska Extreme Fourwheelers for that.

Use Plasma and you do not have to use a weight put in the middle of the winch line.

Plasma is the only thing I will ever use. If it breaks on the trail it takes about 2 minutes to repair it. Can you say that about Steel? stronger, lighter, floats, does not store energy, no meat hooks, easy to repair and handle. Shit I can think of only abrasion resistance as a possible negative but even that is squelched with a 5 dollar piece of Nylon.

Trancezj
09-24-2004, 10:40 AM
Well, I guess I'll have to look into one. But not 'til next year. If I buy anything else for my piece of shit, I'll have to eat ramen noodles 8 meals a day. Or start bouncing agian, but I'd be single again really fast if I did that.

MaineZJ
09-24-2004, 11:02 AM
I've never whitnessed a steel cable snapping (hope I don't anytime soon) or anything like it.. but I want to know, how much does something like a sweatshirt was a weight help in a situation. Seems like there isn't much mass there to dampen the energy

Trancezj
09-24-2004, 12:00 PM
I've never whitnessed a steel cable snapping (hope I don't anytime soon) or anything like it.. but I want to know, how much does something like a sweatshirt was a weight help in a situation. Seems like there isn't much mass there to dampen the energy
More than you could imagine

Bulldog 6
09-28-2004, 04:06 PM
I have seen more than my fair share of snapped cables at work. Old, dry rusting cables are the most dangerous. You gotta listen for the strands snapping. It is amazing how much a couple of strands that have snapped will weaken a cable.

Fortunately, we all went home in one piece after the cable snapped and did not have to visit the infirmary.

Glove use should be mandatory when using a cable. We will write up someone for a safety violation if we catch them without gloves.

Industry requires that all cables be inspected prior to use and have a routine cable inspection program set up.

JeepinHank
09-28-2004, 06:13 PM
A farmer once told me a good way to preserve/maintain your steel cable is to unspool it into a 5 gal bucket. Then pour in some oil - enough to cover the cable. I used old motor oil. Let it soak for a couple of days, and wipe if off as you're re-spooling it onto the winch. The oil will help push / keep water out of the cable (preventing rust) and lube everything up to help reduce fraying. I don't know how valid it is, but I tried it, and I've had the same cable for several years with no problems.

Any thoughts?

Trancezj
09-29-2004, 09:13 AM
A farmer once told me a good way to preserve/maintain your steel cable is to unspool it into a 5 gal bucket. Then pour in some oil - enough to cover the cable. I used old motor oil. Let it soak for a couple of days, and wipe if off as you're re-spooling it onto the winch. The oil will help push / keep water out of the cable (preventing rust) and lube everything up to help reduce fraying. I don't know how valid it is, but I tried it, and I've had the same cable for several years with no problems.

Any thoughts?
sounds better than what I did. I greased my cable. It did help it respool better. It makes it slide off it's self easier. Only problem with grease is it makes shit stick to it.

Bulldog 6
09-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Oil sounds like a good idea. I would think that you would want to wipe it down and then repeat the wipe down in a couple of days to clean up any oil that seeped out after the first wiping.