PDA

View Full Version : what kind of winch is everyone using

speedmontzj
09-20-2004, 09:19 PM
thinking of buying one of these http://www.e-winches.com/detail.aspx?ID=237 . just want to see if anyone has any exper. with this brand. building my own bumper so it can be built around the winch so size is not my main concern. the local jeep parts place has them for 589.99.

edit: i really like this a lot better http://www.e-winches.com/detail.aspx?ID=701

Swamp boy
09-20-2004, 11:36 PM
Warn XD9000i

http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/images/57/Warn_XD9000i.jpg

Kevin Sells those TMaxx (or something like that) winches.. Realy good prices and one of the 4WD rags just did a test on it and said it did pretty good..

Dont forget to check out Warn.com ... They have their value series..
They used to be called Magnum but they call them TABOR now..
http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/value_series.shtml

Still a warn winch ... And really good price ...

Carl

nathan
09-20-2004, 11:44 PM
Warn XD9000

Jim311
09-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Whichever ones my friends are running :roll:

gearhead313
09-21-2004, 02:38 PM
i've seen the mile marker fail too many times. Although, the 12000 is supposed to be the best of the bread.

i've ALSO seen the xd9000i's break, as much as people like them. dunno if it was a bad one, but the motor quit and cracked the case on him. I guess you can break anything.

I"ll be running the RE series Ramsey, worm gear reduction 12000lb. the fawkers are like 1500 new, but i "BORROWED" mine off my tilt bed :lol:

gsh
09-21-2004, 09:51 PM
Yeah, I dunno about the milemarkers. The prez of the club had one break. He was unspooling it to wind it tight. It was spooled/unspooled a few times during a long winch session. The rope had wedged in some lower wraps. He unspooled to the point to where he thought he could hook it up to a tree and back up the pull the rope loose. He stopped whe he heard a pop. When he looked the rope was still wedged, but the spool was broke.

deadman
09-22-2004, 05:21 AM
Ill be getting a hydraulic milemarker 12000. 8)

JeepinHank
09-22-2004, 11:01 AM
Let me be the first to say that it all depends on how you intend to use it:
I bought one of those cheap HF 8000 lb winches. I burned up the brushes shortly after I got it. Long story short - I got stuck in what I thought was a dried up pond (grass was growing on it, so i thought it was dry) turns out it was nothing but a giant sandy mud hole. [Just so everyone knows, it was at a local sand pit owned by a construction company - and I just happen to know one of the owners. Even so - I wouldn't even think of doing what I did back then today, but I was young(er) and dumb(er)] Anyway I winched for a good 1.5 to 2 hours without taking nearly enough breaks to let it cool. It did get me out of the mud hole before it quit on me.

Afterwards - I rebuilt the winch with good brushes that I got from a big rig alternator shop, and I haven't had a problem since. That was probably 2 or 3 years ago now. Granted I haven't run it hard for an hour straight since then, but it got me out of the jam I was in, and it has saved my butt and those of my friends on several occasions since then. I wouldn't use it to winch everyone in a large group to the top of the hill, but it'll save you in a pinch and that's what I wanted. (I do keep a spare set of brushes in my glove box.)

If you are going to be pulling everyone in your group to the top of a hill: A) you probably don't have any business being there in the first place and B) You should be looking at PTO or Hydrolic winches.

JMO

Trancezj
09-22-2004, 11:06 AM
Let me be the first to say that it all depends on how you intend to use it:
I bought one of those cheap HF 8000 lb winches. I burned up the brushes shortly after I got it. Long story short - I got stuck in what I thought was a dried up pond (grass was growing on it, so i thought it was dry) turns out it was nothing but a giant sandy mud hole. [Just so everyone knows, it was at a local sand pit owned by a construction company - and I just happen to know one of the owners. Even so - I wouldn't even think of doing what I did back then today, but I was young(er) and dumb(er)] Anyway I winched for a good 1.5 to 2 hours without taking nearly enough breaks to let it cool. It did get me out of the mud hole before it quit on me.

Afterwards - I rebuilt the winch with good brushes that I got from a big rig alternator shop, and I haven't had a problem since. That was probably 2 or 3 years ago now. Granted I haven't run it hard for an hour straight since then, but it got me out of the jam I was in, and it has saved my butt and those of my friends on several occasions since then. I wouldn't use it to winch everyone in a large group to the top of the hill, but it'll save you in a pinch and that's what I wanted. (I do keep a spare set of brushes in my glove box.)

If you are going to be pulling everyone in your group to the top of a hill: A) you probably don't have any business being there in the first place and B) You should be looking at PTO or Hydrolic winches.

JMO
I'll winch 1 - 2 people. Then I'm done. Like you said, that many people shouldn't be there that aren't capable enough. Continuously buming a winch isn't cool. It's cool for a while or time to time, but if you're gunna do it, you gotta have one. In this neck of the woods, you can't always rely on other winches. I thought a winch would be last on my list. It got bumped way way way up. I've been in multiple situation where there would be zero way anyone else could help without about 2-3 blocks and 250' cable.

speedmontzj
09-22-2004, 12:27 PM
i think i might wait till i can do the ramsey with the rope.

Kraqa
09-22-2004, 02:29 PM
never needed it. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Kraqa/thefinger.gif

j/j what every someone else has.

Troy
09-22-2004, 05:58 PM
I run the HS9500 with external solenoids. No problems so far other than a bad connection I unscrewed, cleaned up, and screwed back together.

ROKN ZJ
09-24-2004, 03:07 PM
Ill be getting a hydraulic milemarker 12000. 8)

The other day I was at a comp, and rolled my 3k lbs buggy over into a crack. They tried winching me up with a Hyd. MM and it couldn't even budge the buggy :roll:

Then they got a Warn and the rope broke :roll: :roll: but we got the rope tied together, and the winch easily pulled the buggy back uphill and onto it's wheels. Needless to say I was VERY unimpressed with the MM winch. It could have had a problem or something, but damn did it not have any UMPH at all...

deadman
09-25-2004, 04:43 AM
From what I heard is the hyd. MM hella slow (but can be tweaked to go faster), but has a lot of pulling power. Maybe something was wrong with that one... As far as i know is the military switching from Warn to hyd. MMs too.

Has anybody alse seen hyd. MM in action?

- I don't care about speed, i know they are slow... all I want is power.

POSJEEP
10-04-2004, 09:26 PM
i run the same one it snapped in half but they were really good about replacing the parts i needed. i was pulling a k-5 out of a gully over rocks had to tie off to a tree to keep from falling in myself.
no complaints but took awhile for the parts.
o yeah the warn beat me hands down in a pull off. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!
WAY FASTER! but for the money it gets the job done.
if i had to do it again i woulda done hydrolic off the power stearing pump.
also see if you can get the wider fairlead. makes respooling really nice.

robselina
10-04-2004, 10:14 PM
195X Beaver Winch! :lol:

( It's standard on Landrovers)

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
10-05-2004, 12:35 AM

join the winchless club. my idea is too get geared low enough and be very cautious to avoid the whole getting stuck to begin with. :D

Alaska ZJ
10-05-2004, 09:23 AM

join the winchless club. my idea is too get geared low enough and be very cautious to avoid the whole getting stuck to begin with. :D

With statements like that I have a hard time believing you have graduated from anything let alone JU.

OverkillZJ
10-05-2004, 04:29 PM

With statements like that I have a hard time believing you have graduated from anything let alone JU.

.....seriously.

I haven't used my winch in 2 years, not for a lack of trying either. But that moment I need it, I'll NEED it.

Doesn't mean I haven't been tugged though once this summer ;)

JohnBoulderCO
10-05-2004, 05:09 PM
I had to winch my dead ass out of the way, a few weekends ago.

Jeep died on a snow cover trail at about 11k feet. It was a fairly easy trail, so I didn't think about wheeling it alone. :roll:

To make a long story longer, a glitch in my wiring harness caused the Jeep to stop on a snow covered cliff road.

I couldn't just leave it there, had to use the winch to get my ass out of the way (it's hard to push a Jeep in snow) so anyone behind me could get off the mountain. If it was a power steering pump driven winch, it would have blocked the trail.

The next morning (getting into that would take a few more pages of type) I went back up to get it. There were tracks going around it, so if some yahoo was coming down the trail, in the dark, drunk, they might have decided to push it off the trail. :shock:

Get an electric Warn, works if your Jeep won't start, broken or if under water.

Cody
10-05-2004, 05:38 PM
I dont' have a winch, but I deffinately play on the generosity of others when I get stuck. I can get a great deal on a superwinch, and I may do that. For some reason I would rather spend the money on a 60.

I try and be the first to offer a strap to people that need it--not to be disrespectful, but to be helpful.

Cody

nathaniel
10-05-2004, 06:51 PM
I use the cheap of the cheap. Harbor freight 8000k winch. slow as could be and as cheap as possible. When its on sale $279-289 -10 off coupon and includes the mounting tray/plate that has been turned into a multimount. So far I have had to have it twice. Once on way home from gsw to recenter my axle by myself lost trackbar bolt and to get myself unstuck about a month ago.

If I had to do it again I would buy their 9000k with the larger motor.

Mtn WJ
10-05-2004, 07:06 PM
For the most part the Mile Markers have served their owners well considering their cost. My issue with most of the lower cost winches is that as all winches their rating is based on a single line layer on the spool. The lower powered winches rapidly go down in pulling power with additional layer on the spool. The more expensive winches with the bigger motors can still pull a fair load with 3-4 layers.

I bought the Warn built Mangnum 9000 winch. It can pull 7300lbs on the 4-5th layer and rated at 9000 on the first layer. The other day I only pulled out my cable about 30 feet before reaching the tree I was using as a winch point. I am not sure the Mile Marker would have had enough power to pull me off the rock with only 30 feet of line pulled to the 3rd layer. The Magnums range from 450 with a Haise Fairleed to 550 with a roller. I bought the roller one at a shop in Denver. I have seen them for even 500 with roller. My winch is a power hog because of higher powered motor howeer single Optima Red Top is more than enough to run it.

If you get the Mile Marker or even the HF remember not only will it be slow which is fine in my opinion unless you are goosing the throttle at the same time you are winching and this happens often enough. But you may not have the power you need with out pulling the line to a farther spot that may not exist or using a block and takle. I know people who run both a HF and MM and say they have not had any issues with their quality just their performance.

JMHO

Keith

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
10-05-2004, 10:58 PM

I guess ya'll are too hardcore to make jokes on here.... :oops:

rubicondave33
10-10-2004, 10:45 AM
I use a Warn xd-9000

Jim311
10-10-2004, 05:28 PM
I saw one of those "Ray-mart" winches for 379 in a magazine when I was sitting on the can today. I'd probably have a winch already if I had a bumper that would accept one. :?

I'm always on the lookout for an ARB.

gearhead313
10-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Just broke a Harbor Freight winch yesterday.....avoid.

Jim311
10-11-2004, 09:24 AM
Just broke a Harbor Freight winch yesterday.....avoid.

Or buy the warranty plan on it :D

deadman
10-14-2004, 05:43 AM
How about the 8274...

The SWB guys love this one, but is it strong enough for a ZJ with 37s, D60/70, etc.?

JeepinHank
10-14-2004, 09:22 AM
How about the 8274...

The SWB guys love this one, but is it strong enough for a ZJ with 37s, D60/70, etc.?

The 8274 is a classic. I would assume that a built and loaded ZJ is probably pushing the limits, but it's a workhorse, and should be able to handle it. You know the general rule is 1.5 times the loaded weight of the vehicle (which is probably right around the capacity of the 8274), but I think, for some of the hardcore folks, it would probably be a better idea to go with 2x.

bigrubbers4x4
10-18-2004, 12:33 AM
Yeah, I dunno about the milemarkers. The prez of the club had one break. He was unspooling it to wind it tight. It was spooled/unspooled a few times during a long winch session. The rope had wedged in some lower wraps. He unspooled to the point to where he thought he could hook it up to a tree and back up the pull the rope loose. He stopped whe he heard a pop. When he looked the rope was still wedged, but the spool was broke.

well i am the one scott is referring to here, and this is how it really happened. i pulled out the cable to get a tree off the trail and did not have enough line out so i looked and saw that it was pinched on itself, so i hooked it to a tree, left the winch on free spool and got back into the toyota and put it in reverse to try and unstuck the wire and bam, bam, bam, it wouldnt come free, so i did it one last time BAM and the whole winch mount bent, the spool started to pull out of the winch, it broke the case on the left side, its under warrenty, i just need money to ship it back. its a mile marker E9000. it is slow but it will pull down a house when it works right. cant wait to get the new one and get it on my project zj. the last time i used it my spotter didnt feed it back into the spool correctly apparently and it was under tension when it was respooled, i think i am going to get a wire rope as soon as i get my new winch.

Chuck R
10-24-2004, 08:08 PM
I bought my 8274 back in 1976. Here's what I think I've learned about the 8274, and what Warn won't tell you, due to warranty concerns.
They spec it as an 8ooo# winch, and that is how it is built, to last a long time if it is used within this pull range. But it will pull LOTS more, if you ask it to. Four Wheeler ran a winch test back then, using a load cell to check the pull available, and the 8274 broke its 5/16 cable at around 12000#, IIRC. It will easily pull a ZJ.