PDA

View Full Version : steering squeak/creak

bobgoblin
09-16-2004, 06:52 PM
i need some advice. for the past few weeks, i have had a squeaking/creaking noise coming from my steering column/steering shaft when turning. if i am stopped and slowly move my steering wheel back and forth just the tiniest bit, then i can hear it squeel real good. i have done a visual inspection but i havent dealt much with steering, so i might be missing something obvious.

if anyone could tell me something i could look for, i'd appreciate it. btw, its a 98 with a 3.5 re lift and 32's. if that matters.

edit: i didnt realize it was my first post. what's up everyone? i've been on ju since 99. does that make me cool? :mrgreen:

thanks,
jason

robselina
09-16-2004, 08:02 PM
are your steering box mounts in good shape?

bobgoblin
09-16-2004, 09:32 PM
yes, i see no cracks are weird alignment or anything...

JpRngr
09-17-2004, 12:26 AM
Is your noise coming from the column itself or out of the front end?

Nordic1
09-17-2004, 02:12 AM
I get a similar squeek from my steering... it's coming from my power steering pump because it can't suply my 621MR with enough fluid. I'm awaiting for this thing to go out :shock:

Jim311
09-17-2004, 09:33 AM
I get a similar squeek from my steering... it's coming from my power steering pump because it can't suply my 621MR with enough fluid. I'm awaiting for this thing to go out :shock:

Gonna put in an aftermarket pump now? This mod is getting expensive.

:D

Nordic1
09-17-2004, 10:01 AM
I played e-mail tag with the people at PSC... I THINK I might be doing their P-style pump conversion...

http://www.pscpowersteer.com/Performance_Steering/Components/Off_Road/powersteeringpumpsPSC3.cfm

Although I want to ask around for power steering pump recommendations as well as finish some other mods before I do the pump. Is it becoming expensive... yea I guess... but then this thing isn't a honda, remeber that.

Jim311
09-17-2004, 12:28 PM
I played e-mail tag with the people at PSC... I THINK I might be doing their P-style pump conversion...

http://www.pscpowersteer.com/Performance_Steering/Components/Off_Road/powersteeringpumpsPSC3.cfm

Although I want to ask around for power steering pump recommendations as well as finish some other mods before I do the pump. Is it becoming expensive... yea I guess... but then this thing isn't a honda, remeber that.

Yeesh, that's another 475 bucks? Have you considered an AGR pump? I was looking in a mag earlier this morning and they have those pumps for less than 200 bucks. However I'm not sure how the fluid output would compare to your stock pump.

Nordic1
09-17-2004, 02:23 PM
When I get to the point of replacing my PS pump, I'll prob do a side by side comparison of all of the aftermarket pumps... I asked PSC first because I REALLY like the quality of their work (of the steering box that I bought) and I'm assuming their quality carries on into their other products.

bobgoblin
09-17-2004, 10:59 PM
jprngr - i cannot really place where it is coming from. i can hear it from inside the cab, but i can also hear it if i am looking at the engine compartment. vague, i know.....

ATL ZJ
09-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Make sure your trackbar bracket is tight. The same thing was happening to me and that's what it was.

JeepinHank
09-20-2004, 11:04 AM
Make sure your trackbar bracket is tight. The same thing was happening to me and that's what it was.

I second ATL ZJ... Make sure the T-bar bracket is tight and if you have a RE bar with a heim joint at the frams side, check that out too... I've got a creak that has gotten continually worse for the past year +, and I finally forced myself to find it yesterday. It was a worn out heim joint.