PDA

View Full Version : Ok, truck adivse needed. Might be getting rid of the chevy

Trancezj
09-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Ok, so the rear leaf spring broke on the 3500. My dads truck is all to shit too, but we talked about me giving him this one back (I bought it from him last month) and me getting something else and him trading that one in. Really the only question I have, is do you think I could get a ~decent tow vehicle for 12-16k? I was thinking '98 or around f250 or something. I'm new to the whole "big" truck seen so I'm a newb at know how much they are. I can't really afford to buy a new truck this year with the wedding next year and all. I dunno, I'm paying no intrest and 300 a month to my dad right now, and I really have no idea what I could get with out paying out the ass. Suggestions? It's been a shitty week and at least for a couple of days the ZJ is my DD. Swerving to work every morning, no sway bars, and a shitty steering set up isn't the best way to start your day.

MaineZJ
09-16-2004, 12:02 PM
new leaf springs?

Trancezj
09-16-2004, 12:37 PM
new leaf springs?
well.... duh. But it's more than that. I had zero load on this thing. My dad didn't tow with it, I do. The guy before did. I'm wondering how hard this thing has been beat down. Plus, it's not perfect. It's got pleanty of issues. Not to mention I'm really not very impressed with it's towing abilitys. Not at all. Basically I'm wondering if i should get out now. All I really need to know is if I could possibly find something I could tow one jeep(zj) with fair for 12-16k.

robselina
09-16-2004, 01:15 PM
you should be able to get a good tow rig for that.

Get a 94.5 or newer F250/350 powerstroke diesel with the manual trans. I almost picked up a 94, powerstroke, 4x4 in great shape for under 8K at a local dealer, You could go as new as your money will let you. The IH powerstroke fords are freakin' solid. I'm sold on them as a real work truck/tow truck. Get the 2wd version and stick with the manual trans and you've got nothing to worry about.

ROKN ZJ
09-16-2004, 02:01 PM
I recently bought a 98 Dodge 2500 for $12,500 with 150k on it, and it does tow duty just fine. I pull a 36' enclosed trailer, with a 3000lbs buggy, tools, and some tires inside it. I know a lot of people who have super high milage Dodge's, so thats why I went with Dodge. Some people like Chevys, and others like Ford. So its up to personal preference, but I would suggest checking out all three, and seeing what you can get for your money.

Hal

Trancezj
09-16-2004, 03:16 PM
If I didnt' need 4x4, there'd be no question about getting a good truck. I HAVE to have 4 wheel drive here. We get way too much snow not to.

Alaska ZJ
09-16-2004, 04:30 PM
in that price range I am going to recommend you stay away from Chevy. Seriously, you need a Diesel and the 6.5 and 6.2 are junk. Look for a MANUAL cummins. (Dodge).

You will be happy.

OR you could just fix this truck.

It is a gasser right? 454 or 350? if it is a 350, dump it. 454..keep it.

Trancezj
09-16-2004, 05:09 PM
in that price range I am going to recommend you stay away from Chevy. Seriously, you need a Diesel and the 6.5 and 6.2 are junk. Look for a MANUAL cummins. (Dodge).

You will be happy.

OR you could just fix this truck.

It is a gasser right? 454 or 350? if it is a 350, dump it. 454..keep it.
No, it'd would be the 6.5 junk you refered too. I think that's why I'm not happy with the towing power.

Alaska ZJ
09-17-2004, 09:42 AM
You can find a Alli/Dmax with wiring on Ebay for about 6k. That would be cool as shit.

Jim311
09-17-2004, 12:32 PM
I was looking at some of those diesel trucks as well, but the mileage on many of them scared me. How much is TOO much for a diesel truck? Even some of the ones with 150k on the clock were out of my price range...

robselina
09-17-2004, 03:42 PM
I was looking at some of those diesel trucks as well, but the mileage on many of them scared me. How much is TOO much for a diesel truck? Even some of the ones with 150k on the clock were out of my price range...

I can't comment on the GM or Dodge engines, but I know guys getting 300-400k out of their Ford (actually IH) diesels....

ROKN ZJ
09-22-2004, 06:44 PM

When I got mine I just looked at stuff under 200k. I bought mine with 150 on it, and I know have 165. I've also heard of people getting 300+ out of it, but I wouldn't want to buy one already too close to that number...

Hal

Alaska ZJ
09-23-2004, 09:29 AM
I am only concerned with milage if I think the previous owner was a kid or hot rodded the thing.

If it was just some farmer putting a shitload of miles on his rig I would not be concerned all the way up to 200k.

my 03 now has nearly 70k on it and it drives better now than it did when I got it.

Joey D
10-23-2004, 08:59 PM
What year truck is the GM? Might be cheaper to keep what you have and fix the problems with it. I know the 6.5 is far from a Cummins or a Powerstroke but they are cheap and can be made to pull fine with a few aftermarket options.