PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an opinion on the RE control arm drop brackets?

robselina
09-15-2004, 10:42 PM
Been looking at the RE9900 drop brackets. They peddle them for XJs but the site says they work for ZJs as well.

For those not familiar with them, they drop the control arm mounts down 3" and forward 0.5". I know people who like they on their XJs, any thoughts about using them on our rigs?

Also, what would be a good way of doing something to match out back or can I get away with adjustable lower and upper arms back there w/o drop brackets? The plan is go go to about 5-5.5" of lift. I don't want to do long arms since they're not good for the wheelin' we do out here. I want to stay with short arms.

I figure if I do this, I should be okay with my existing extended front break lines (YJ lines). I'll have to extend my rear line, get new shocks, 2" spacers (I'm already at 3-3.5" lift), probably a new d-shaft up front if it hasn't blown up already and been replaced, adjustable lowers up front and back, probably adjustable uppers out back unless I do some sort of drop bracket back there too, and of course some 35s since they're the whole point of this.

Thoughts? I still need to finish the 8.8 and get a cage in, but just thinking ahead......

Texas ZJ1
09-15-2004, 11:09 PM
I know that ChrisL used them on his ZJ years ago and liked them. They will definitely improve the ride quality but could rob you of some ground clearance.

Hunter

I was going to do them until I did the front adjustable control arms to push the front axle forward.

nathaniel
09-16-2004, 12:09 AM
What kind of wheeling are you doing in NM thats not long arm friendly

Been looking at the RE9900 drop brackets. They peddle them for XJs but the site says they work for ZJs as well.

For those not familiar with them, they drop the control arm mounts down 3" and forward 0.5". I know people who like they on their XJs, any thoughts about using them on our rigs?

Also, what would be a good way of doing something to match out back or can I get away with adjustable lower and upper arms back there w/o drop brackets? The plan is go go to about 5-5.5" of lift. I don't want to do long arms since they're not good for the wheelin' we do out here. I want to stay with short arms.

I figure if I do this, I should be okay with my existing extended front break lines (YJ lines). I'll have to extend my rear line, get new shocks, 2" spacers (I'm already at 3-3.5" lift), probably a new d-shaft up front if it hasn't blown up already and been replaced, adjustable lowers up front and back, probably adjustable uppers out back unless I do some sort of drop bracket back there too, and of course some 35s since they're the whole point of this.

Thoughts? I still need to finish the 8.8 and get a cage in, but just thinking ahead......

robselina
09-16-2004, 09:39 AM
I know that ChrisL used them on his ZJ years ago and liked them. They will definitely improve the ride quality but could rob you of some ground clearance.

Right. I'm not too woried about the reduced ground clearance, kinda expected that. Did he only run them up front or out back too?

robselina
09-16-2004, 09:47 AM
What kind of wheeling are you doing in NM thats not long arm friendly

It's been an ongoing discussion, but on our rock, long arms aren't all they're cracked up to be. Basically we do a lot of rock crawling that involves steep climbs and decents, off camber sutuations etc. We have one or two long armed rigs in our club and they do piss-poor compared to equivalent short arm guys since their suspensions are always unloading on them at the wrong time. yea, you can winch up the front axle for a steep climb, but it's impractical and trust me, you'd be doing it all day out here. I've seen long arm systems work well when guys run 'adjustable limiting straps' (read: they have ATV winches as limiting straps front and rear). This seems to give them the best of both worlds, but for what I'm doing, short arm systems are cheaper, perform more consistenly and tend to be more stable.

take a look at a couple of pics I posted in the general section under the fender protection thread. A couple of guys with short arms (more leafed vehicles than anything else though granted) have made it up that obstacle, but the only guy with long arms I've ever see try rolled badly, it was close to an endo.....

Alaska ZJ
09-16-2004, 09:51 AM
Those things suck. I have done more trail repairs on those POS brackets than any other part (Except the RE rear Trackbar bracket).

Just do it right and sleeve the framerail and make some longer control arms.

if you have aftermarket RE arms already just cut them in half and they slide snuggly into 1.5 sch80 pipe. the pipe is .200 thick and is harder than DOM.

If you think your gonna bend those...you need to put some 1.5x1.5 angle on the bottom of the arms.

ATL ZJ
09-16-2004, 12:36 PM
I recently did an install of the RE 5.5 kit on an XJ that uses the drop bracket system. I was AMAZED at how rediculously low they hang down (2-3 times lower than my longarm LCA brackets). Also, the install is a pain in the ass for a result that not only robs ground clearance AND articulation, but is essentially a compromise. I hate them. A longarm system with properly adjusted limiting straps is the way to go IMO.

nathaniel
09-16-2004, 04:08 PM
Climbing and decents are about having limit straps

robselina
09-17-2004, 08:41 PM
well, sounds like I'll just keep it under 4.5" of lift and stay with the short arms....

Kraqa
09-17-2004, 10:32 PM
wheeled with a buddy who had em on his XJ. he was on 33's i had bald 31's he would get hung up on stumps/rocks/logs all the time. i remember once he had to go up a rock on a steep incline and couldn't get over it cause that braket would hit the rock everytime. where i danced all over it. also has to do with driver skill but thats a given. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Kraqa/thefinger.gif

robselina
09-18-2004, 10:05 AM
also has to do with driver skill but thats a given. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Kraqa/thefinger.gif

:lol:

bigrubbers4x4
10-02-2004, 12:15 AM
one of the members in my 4x4 club has them on his zj and his dad has them on his xj and they both seem to love them. i was thinking about them for my zj project. i havent had a chance to wheel with them to see how they do in the clearance issue. but i will ask them how they are in that aspect.

Kraqa
10-02-2004, 04:28 AM
Some people love tape players too.

just get adjustable arms.

LouisianaZJ
10-02-2004, 07:51 PM
i have them on my XJ. they drop the CA down about 3-4". They are the regular RE brackets, but not the shitty RE "braces" the braces on mine are 3/16" and tie into the trans member + sliders

true, they do decrease clearance and they are not long arms, but they are a good compromise between LA's and adj short arms.

they flex pretty good also
http://img88.exs.cx/img88/2078/xjflex2.jpg

robselina
10-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the info guys, like I said above, I'm just going to get adjustable arms and stay under 4.5"....I installed some TJ LCAs as a temporary solution to my DW that was developing again, hopefully they'll hold me over for a couple of months until I can afford to do some more suspension work.

LOL. right now I'd settle for having 4WD again :lol: Well, I picked up a new yoke yesterday and I'm placing an order for a Tom Wood's driveshaft on Monday, so hopefully by next week.....

LouisianaZJ
10-02-2004, 10:56 PM
LOL. right now I'd settle for having 4WD again :lol: Well, I picked up a new yoke yesterday and I'm placing an order for a Tom Wood's driveshaft on Monday, so hopefully by next week.....

TW = junk
www.highangledriveline.com

robselina
10-02-2004, 11:55 PM
TW = junk

:roll: Last driveshat I helped install that was made by him (on a buddy's rig) looked damn nice to me. high quality parts, 0.95" wall DOM, nice welds....yea, sure it's "junk"

LouisianaZJ
10-03-2004, 12:21 AM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90709&highlight=wood
i mean TW is not the worst, but i think you would be better off with a highangle shaft

OverkillZJ
10-03-2004, 01:11 AM

TW = junk
www.highangledriveline.com

...My TW shafts are the ONNNNLLLLLY thing on my rig that I haven't broken yet: 4 axle shafts and 2 ring gears, and a tcase this summer. Slammed the woods shafts on the rocks in CO hard, scratched it up, but not a dent.

robselina
10-03-2004, 10:10 PM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90709&highlight=wood
i mean TW is not the worst, but i think you would be better off with a highangle shaft

fair enough, point taken.

Nordic1
10-12-2004, 02:29 AM
south bay driveline made my front and they'll be making my rear as well... I've banged mine around on rocks and they seem to hold up just fine.