PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Dodge D60 9.25 ring gear.

Tommy
09-15-2004, 12:56 PM
Any thing I should be concerned with? I picked up front and rear D60 from a 96 dodge with 4.10's.

Tommy
09-15-2004, 01:38 PM
I hope I am not fucked. i did some research and found that all post 94 front d60's on dodge are 30 spline which is the same as ad44. Although the ring gear is larger. Plus it has a CAD and ball joints.

Tommy
09-15-2004, 02:03 PM
Fuck. Two piece inners and center axle vacum disco. Looks like I am going to have to take this one back.

robselina
09-15-2004, 03:02 PM
what, huh? vac disco can be disabled, and you can always replace the two piece shaft up front if you want.

As for the rear D60 being 30 spline, assuming it's a full floater it's still substantially stronger than a D44 since they use different materials for the shafts since they have no vertical loads, not to mention the simple fact that it's a full floater makes it substantially stronger.

If you're talking about the front being 30 spline, the benefit is in the larger u-joints, the shafts never were the weak link. As for ball joints, they're fine....

Anyway, what the hell did you pay for these things 'cause assuming you didn't pay through the nose for them they could still be a good deal....

Tommy
09-15-2004, 03:36 PM
How would I go about disabling the vacum disconnect? I gues I am a reatard. I didn't pay to much for them that is why I gambled. I pulled all of this info from pirate and from the front D60 bible. Everything I was reading was bad. One post said that dodge used a D60 center section with it's own tubes and knuckles post 94. Do the sell one piece shafts to replace the two piece long side shaft. I don't think many parts are interchangeable. I juust worried about the front, the rear should be OK.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/

Since I don't have the fab skills, welding in any case I am having a buddy's shop do the work for me. I am getting a good deal. we are aquiring parts for the build now. That is why I was asking for picks of ROCKNZJ's rig, we wanted to see how they mounted the coilovers.

long arms
front and rear d60's
coilovers ' 16" swayaways

Tommy
09-15-2004, 08:54 PM
Maybe I should use spell check. Anybody have any other thoughts?

Alaska ZJ
09-15-2004, 09:05 PM
There is a sliding coupler in the vacume housing. simply buy another coupler from the dealer (15 bucks or so) and weld it to the other coupler (not the axle).

PRESTO you have now dissabled the vacume disconnect.

Pull those axles out and lay them next to a D44 axle. Your mind will be put at ease.

Balljoint are fine. Your not planning on running 44's are you?

If you don't want that front 60. Let me know, I can find a home for it.

robselina
09-15-2004, 09:09 PM
hum...yea, not sure if you want to tear into this thing..... I'd wheel it as is. I'd disable the vac disconnect system and permanently engage the axle. Run it like that.

Seems that people typically blow the stub shafts on D60s before anthing else, and it seems that these would have equivalent strength there, so in stock form they're probably don't suck, but upgrade options for them do......

I'd bet those 32 spline shafts and unit bearing hubs won't be too big of a problem.....

Tommy
09-16-2004, 12:03 AM
Perfect, Thanks guys. No, I am not planning to run 44's. LOL. I want to run the 38.5x16/15 boggers. Thanks for the quick responses, as always a big help.

Tommy

LouisianaZJ
09-18-2004, 01:15 AM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263404

i almost got a D60/D70 off a guy from pirate 4x4 for like $6-700 + shipping but he did not want to ship :roll:

Tommy
09-21-2004, 05:57 PM
That would have been a decent deal. I can't wait to get this build started. Went on a spur of the moment run to Borrego on friday night.

Carnage includes, driver front upper control arm mount ripped off, 2 motor mounts , sterring stabilizer, and one chevy S-10.

JeepinHank
09-22-2004, 12:32 PM
and one chevy S-10.

LOL - care to elaborate?

Tommy
09-24-2004, 06:06 PM
I also found this thing call a POSI-LOCK. it seems cool, it is a cable actuated device which replaces the vacum on the axle and locks the two axles together. it is only $150.00. This when disengaged and in 4 low, you would have 2 low. Could make for some cool burnouts. LOL. just kidding, not bad for 150 bucks though.

Tommy
12-24-2004, 12:19 AM
Anybody have any in's at DYNATRAC they sell a manual hub conversion for this axle which replaces the knuckles with D70 knuckles and eliminates the CAD. I sure wish I could get some part numbers so I could gather up all the crap for this. They want like $2800 bucks for the kit. That is for the Stage 2 kit.