PDA

View Full Version : any ideas on how to fix my LCA mount?

hoffyinaz
09-14-2004, 10:31 AM
My LCA mount?
http://community.webshots.com/album/187635281uaBfec

Thx

JeepinHank
09-14-2004, 11:26 AM
Yeah - cut if off and weld in a new one.

Actually, you may be able to straighten it up and reinforce it with some 3/16 plate, but you won't be able to get away with just straightening that. Its going to need some kind of stiffening either with some Kevins Type lca skids or some plate beside it (or both).

BigDaveZJ
09-14-2004, 12:18 PM
That looks strangely familiar . . . . . . I did the same thing on the GSW Pre-run back in May. A word of advice, DON'T DRIVE IT!!!! A guy I know here in Denver did the same thing on his XJ and didn't take my advice and wheeled it. That bracket completely ripped off the axle, snapped the pinion side u-joint on the d-shaft, bent both UCA's and severely bent the other LCA. NOT a situation you want to be in on the trail.

It's a nasty break, but an easy fix. RE sells replacement brackets, think they're $35 or so. I ordered those through Kevin and ordered his LCA skidz as well. Not only do the skidz act as a skid plate for the LCA's but they will also significantly increase the strength of the bracket. The one downside to the RE stuff is that they do not have the cam plate to adjust caster. This makes the precision of getting the bracket in the right place pretty important. My LCA's are adjustable, so I'm not really worried about not having a cam plate.

Trancezj
09-14-2004, 02:16 PM
Shit that's nothin' bro. Get a BFH and straighten them out. A good thing to have is something to put between them, I used my old CA. This will help a ton. Then put kevins sliders on or make some. I've done both. Imagine yours, x11ty. Mine were as close to flat against the tube as they could possibly get.

nathaniel
09-14-2004, 05:26 PM
If it can be beat out we could do that at Kevinsoffroad and reinforce it with a pair of LCA skids or replace the bracket at his shop. I have a d30 complete at his shop that could be swaped in as well.

hoffyinaz
09-14-2004, 05:50 PM
thx nathaniel
Damn wish i was home in arizona, but i'm at home in new mexico. i dont think my jeep will see arizona until GSSW (FEb).......

BigDaveZJ
09-14-2004, 07:52 PM
I can't really tell from the pics, but if the metal is just bent you could bend it back probably. Mine was actually cracked and partially ripped away from the axle, hence the level of repair I went to. Still only cost me $60 or so in parts.

hoffyinaz
09-14-2004, 10:54 PM
I can't really tell from the pics, but if the metal is just bent you could bend it back probably. Mine was actually cracked and partially ripped away from the axle, hence the level of repair I went to. Still only cost me $60 or so in parts.

i had it on a lift today and checked it out, it's not cracked just bent.
i will bend them into place and replace Arms and have some gussets or plates welded to them to strenghten and some sliders. thx

RufftyTuffty
09-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Don't even bother bending them back....the stock brackets are too thin for wheelin.

Get some HD ones and a skid....ORGS, CURRIE, KEVINS, etc...

Fix em good and forget about them....

KevinF
09-21-2004, 02:33 AM
Ouch, Doug!!! Sounds like NM has been treating you to some trails, but those rocks will get you every time. I hit mine pretty hard maybe 5-6 years ago, and it was *almost* as bad as yours. I just removed the arm, got some long-handled channel-locks and hammered the mount back as closely as I could get them, and then welded on a LCA skid and it worked for another few years after that until I swapped in my other d30 axle with the 4.56 gears in it. It's a cheap fix (hammer and welded on LCA skids), but doesn't completely address the problem of the bracket being weakened now that you've just bent it twice and hammered on it to boot. Even with the LCA skid, you're going to have to check for stress cracks after every wheeling trip for a while. The REAL fix would be to plasma-cut off the old bracket and re-weld an RE bracket on there, and then an LCA skid on top of it. I can get them for you if you want me to, but the install is going to be say an hour or so of labor that way.

Just let me know if you need some help, Doug.

Chat soon,
Kevin

LouisianaZJ
09-21-2004, 09:44 AM
That looks strangely familiar . . . . . . I did the same thing on the GSW Pre-run back in May. A word of advice, DON'T DRIVE IT!!!! A guy I know here in Denver did the same thing on his XJ and didn't take my advice and wheeled it. That bracket completely ripped off the axle, snapped the pinion side u-joint on the d-shaft, bent both UCA's and severely bent the other LCA. NOT a situation you want to be in on the trail.

It's a nasty break, but an easy fix. RE sells replacement brackets, think they're $35 or so. I ordered those through Kevin and ordered his LCA skidz as well. Not only do the skidz act as a skid plate for the LCA's but they will also significantly increase the strength of the bracket. The one downside to the RE stuff is that they do not have the cam plate to adjust caster. This makes the precision of getting the bracket in the right place pretty important. My LCA's are adjustable, so I'm not really worried about not having a cam plate.
same thing. a dude around here with a TJ bent his like that a month ago. I told him to bend it back, put a few more welds to the tubes, and weld some plate on the front to brace it. Nope, he keeps on wheelin it and driving it 60mph to and from the trails.
lets just say, im not trail repairing his shit when it brakes

hoffyinaz
09-21-2004, 05:38 PM
Ouch, Doug!!! Sounds like NM has been treating you to some trails, but those rocks will get you every time. I hit mine pretty hard maybe 5-6 years ago, and it was *almost* as bad as yours. I just removed the arm, got some long-handled channel-locks and hammered the mount back as closely as I could get them, and then welded on a LCA skid and it worked for another few years after that until I swapped in my other d30 axle with the 4.56 gears in it. It's a cheap fix (hammer and welded on LCA skids), but doesn't completely address the problem of the bracket being weakened now that you've just bent it twice and hammered on it to boot. Even with the LCA skid, you're going to have to check for stress cracks after every wheeling trip for a while. The REAL fix would be to plasma-cut off the old bracket and re-weld an RE bracket on there, and then an LCA skid on top of it. I can get them for you if you want me to, but the install is going to be say an hour or so of labor that way.

Just let me know if you need some help, Doug.

Chat soon,
Kevin

Thanks, Kevin
But I already ordered the RE brackets (both sides) and since I'm in NM still had to find someone to weld them one........ The guy builds rock krawlers and lots of weld work so should be good. Thanks again.

Looking forward to Feb for GSSW :lol:

cbassett
09-22-2004, 07:54 PM
3" flat plate or channel welded to the front could've repaired those; I've repaired worse, and they're still in action.

Also, the stock lower brackets tend to want to roll down and begin ripping off teh axle. You can repair/prevent this by welding a piece of 1" flat bar, standing on edge, between the top of the bracket and the bottom of the coil pad.