PDA

View Full Version : jeep stalls

Beerman
09-09-2004, 10:00 PM
I have a 93 Grand 5.2 V8.

The problem is that it just shuts down the motor just dies everything else seems to work.If I turn the key to the off position and wait about 10 sec. it will fire back up and be fine but if I don't turn the key off and try to start it it just cranks.

It's not throwing any codes.

I replaced the

-computer
-coil
-fuel filter
-crank position sensor

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

And I've searched all over on this and couldn't find anything.

Thanks,Charles

JeepinHank
09-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Beerman, first off, welcome aboard!

How about a little more info:

I'm assuming it's stalling at idle?
Is the engine stumbling before it stalls?
Is the engine hot or cold when it happens?

Do you have good pressure at the fuel rail?
How is the battery? Good charge & condition? How are your battery connections?

That might help narrow it down a little more....

Hank

gearhead313
09-10-2004, 12:31 PM
IAC? mine does the same thing....if it stalls when it comes to an idle.

...after the battery as been disconnected.

gsh
09-11-2004, 01:45 AM
Yeah, welcome Charles.

Since you have to turn the key to off, I'd favor something electrical in the troubleshooting. In addition to the above checks, try swapping some of the non-essential relays like the ABS and fog light to the fuel-pump and auto-shutdown positions. If it still happens, there could be an occasional short in the auto-shutdown relay trigger circuit. Once the auto-shutdown trips, you have to reset by turning the key off.

Beerman
09-11-2004, 08:02 AM
Beerman, first off, welcome aboard!

How about a little more info:

I'm assuming it's stalling at idle?
Is the engine stumbling before it stalls?
Is the engine hot or cold when it happens?

Do you have good pressure at the fuel rail?
How is the battery? Good charge & condition? How are your battery connections?

That might help narrow it down a little more....

Hank

It doesn't stall at idle,the fuel pressure is good
Hot or cold it stalls and it's a clean shut down.

I swaped my relays and that didn't work.

Swamp boy
09-11-2004, 10:25 AM
I have to agree with gearhead.. When My IAC went out I would be driving down the road and bam it would just die.. It would usually take quit a bit of cranking to get it started again... BUt it would start and run ..

I did just remember that it only did it when it was cold.. Once the engine warmed up I didnt have any problems...

I also had a problem once where the Intake Air Charge sensor went bad..
The engine would barely run at idle but would run fine at highway speed but it got about 4 or 5 MPG... :shock:

Good luck..

Carl

gearhead313
09-12-2004, 04:25 PM
The engine would barely run at idle but would run fine at highway speed but it got about 4 or 5 MPG... :shock:

yep, that was ALL me also! :evil:

Beerman
09-13-2004, 08:35 PM
could the o2 sensor be so bad that it would make it stall?I cleaned the iac and replaced the map sensor and pickup coil.

I'm about to roll this thing down a hill.

JeepinHank
09-14-2004, 09:41 AM
I was thinking along the lines of a shorted wire somewhere, but that should be blowing fuses.... I know I had a wire from my O2 sensor get rubbed bare by my rear d-shaft (shitty install at the exhaust shop), and when it shorted, my jeep would just die. It would blow one of the fuses in the PDC. After I found the short and corrected that, no more problem.

You should be getting a check engine code if its a bad O2 sensor.

No blown fuses in your case, but you have to turn the key off and back on to get it to start. Are there any breakers (not sure if that's the right term or not) that could be getting tripped? It sounds like its not getting fuel or spark after the engine dies, but you said fuel pressure is fine. Have you by chance checked after it stalls on you and before you turn the key off and back on? I think there is a fuel pressure relay in the PDC - that seems to be the one that the O2 sensor was messing with in my case.

Just thinking out loud here, so if my rambling sounds really stoopid just ignore me. :lol:

Beerman
09-14-2004, 01:50 PM
I'm starting to think of a short somewhere.I'll take a look at the O2 sensor wires.

Thanks for the help

Swamp boy
09-14-2004, 07:24 PM
The sensor I changed was called the Air charge temperature sensor..
Here is a pic of it..
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/94/94531/folders/137747/1230957IM002833.JPG

Hope that helps..

Oh almost forgot.. I bought the part for a 95 dodge with a 5.2
The Grand Cherokee part was something like $65 and the dodge part was
$19.

Good luck.
Carl

Beerman
10-16-2004, 04:56 PM
Well found out what was wrong,my motor mounts were bad so everytime the engine would jump it would lift the tranny housing and the wiring harness on top of the tranny hitting the screws that were sticking out of the floor board.which were stabbing the wire causing them to short.2 out of 5 wire were cut in half.

OverkillZJ
10-18-2004, 03:18 PM
Well found out what was wrong,my motor mounts were bad so everytime the engine would jump it would lift the tranny housing and the wiring harness on top of the tranny hitting the screws that were sticking out of the floor board.which were stabbing the wire causing them to short.2 out of 5 wire were cut in half.

..Remind me to change my motor mounts.

gearhead313
10-18-2004, 03:46 PM

..Remind me to change my motor mounts.

x2