PDA

View Full Version : rustys xj coils

jsteves
09-02-2004, 02:07 PM
I am starting to gather parts for my next suspension overhaul which will include more lift and long arms. what i am wondering is if anyone is using rusty front xj coils. he has 6.5 and 8.5 inch springs. i want my zj to sit around 6-6.5" I have a v8, TR bumper and M8000 winch, so should i get 6.5" springs or the 8.5" I hear his are always taller than advertised, but they are for an I-6 xj? any help would be awesome.

Kraqa
09-02-2004, 03:18 PM
go 8.5"

the xj springs are a difrent spring rate and will compress more. a stock I6 front coild from a ZJ with net you about 3/4" lift for a stock I6 XJ.

robselina
09-02-2004, 03:29 PM
I used RE XJ 4.5" coils up front on my 5.2L powered ZJ (no winch or bumper). It sits at about 3". If you subtract 1" to 1.5" you'll sit about right....

Alaska ZJ
09-02-2004, 04:09 PM
Why in the sam fuck would you want 8.5 inches of lift? You already have the 1 ton axles to hold up to the 44 inch tires your gonna run?

get 4.5 RE springs and save your money for usable Jeep Parts.

Oh and Everything I have ever purchased From Rusty has been SHIT and his service matches it to the "T"

Nordic1
09-02-2004, 06:14 PM
Oh and Everything I have ever purchased From Rusty has been SHIT and his service matches it to the "T"

I actually agree completelly. Here's pictures of Rusty's craftmanship on their tie rod conversion. The tubing looks to be .120 which isn't bad but the tie rod ends are TINY.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B3D8B7378-05BB-45C5-A2D4-298E5F7A8075%7D/picture.JPG
http://www.fototime.com/%7BC630EB17-0426-47A7-AD9E-9E3B4EEB808C%7D/picture.JPG
Heres a chevy TRE compared to a TRE that rusty's shipped with the kit.
http://www.fototime.com/%7BCA1594B5-580A-41DD-830C-897AE47846A9%7D/picture.JPG

I personally wouldn't wheeling to much on that setup.

Other than that, time and time again, people on NAGCA report that his 3" springs are like 2.25" if not less.

Also people complain about his customer service being shit.

IMO I would steer clear of Rusty's stuff.

BigDaveZJ
09-02-2004, 06:16 PM
Other than that, time and time again, people on NAGCA report that his 3" springs are like 2.25" if not less.

:roll:

Never heard of Rusty's coils being lower than advertised, at least at first. The may sag a little bit, but the ones I've seen have started out around the 4.5-5" range and sagged to 4ish.

BMRisko
09-02-2004, 08:08 PM
I know several people who have run or still run Rusty's coils, including me, who have beat on them and they are still going strong. All of the ones that I have seen have actually given more than the advertised amount as well. Same goes for a set of his adjustable LCAs which I have had on the rear of my ZJ forever and they are holding up....pretty surprising for how much torsional loads my ZJ puts on those when the rear is flexed. Yea the bushings are shot, but what bushings wouldn't be with over 30,000 miles on them, including lots of wheeling. I have always received good service from him also. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to run his coils again if I ever changed my set-up.

jsteves
09-03-2004, 11:36 AM
Why in the sam fuck would you want 8.5 inches of lift? You already have the 1 ton axles to hold up to the 44 inch tires your gonna run?

I am not looking for 8.5" of lift, I want 6" of lift, and I wanted to know if those coils would give me about that. Thanks for the replies

gearhead313
09-03-2004, 05:52 PM

im 9.5" mutha fucka! :twisted:

also, i put my 4.5" zj springs up to a rusty's 6" spring and they were almost 2" shorter if i remember right. I would presume the RE 4.5" springs on an xj would give you 8.5"!

Alaska ZJ
09-04-2004, 06:26 PM

also, i put my 4.5" zj springs up to a rusty's 6" spring and they were almost 2" shorter if i remember right. I would presume the RE 4.5" springs on an xj would give you 8.5"!

And you smoke pole.

gearhead313
09-06-2004, 01:36 PM

And you smoke pole.

You will bow down to my pole and smoke it like a little girl.

BigDaveZJ
09-06-2004, 01:58 PM
You like little girls dont ya gearhead? :D

BMRisko
09-06-2004, 03:20 PM

What in the hell does the unsprung length of a coil have to do with its final lift height? Not all coils have the same spring rate / stiffness. :roll:

JOE
09-06-2004, 08:48 PM
I have rustys 3" coils in the front of my ZJ with a 2" spacer. I've been running those coils for 65,000 miles and they are holding up good. They gave me about 4" of lift when I put them on. I really haven't noticed any sagging.

gearhead313
09-07-2004, 10:31 AM
You like little girls dont ya gearhead? :D

hell ya i do! my g/f is 4'11", has D cups and is only 1 year younger than me! :lol:

gearhead313
09-07-2004, 10:38 AM

What in the hell does the unsprung length of a coil have to do with its final lift height? Not all coils have the same spring rate / stiffness. :roll:

most coils b/w xj's and zj's are close enough in rate that loaded height of the spring is usually with in a 1/2" total.

I just put my zj 4.5" RE springs in a buddy of mines xj this past friday. He had skyjacker 3" springs in before. The difference was around 2.5" and it lifted the front the exact difference in unsprung height. It is now more than an inch taller (with an arb bar and m8000 winch) than his friend that is running rusty's 6" coils with a stock bumper.

cbassett
09-22-2004, 08:42 PM
I ran Rusty's 6" XJ coils in the front of my 4.0 ZJ with an OE spacer; ran then on top of Ford radius arms. Height was perfect for 38s.
Ran tired RE 4.5" ZJ fronts in the rear with an OE spacer.

Damned if this place isn't a regurtitation of all NAGCA content.
You guys should just start linking NAGCA threads to repetitive inquiries here.

Alaska ZJ
09-23-2004, 09:01 AM
I ran Rusty's 6" XJ coils in the front of my 4.0 ZJ with an OE spacer; ran then on top of Ford radius arms. Height was perfect for 38s.
Ran tired RE 4.5" ZJ fronts in the rear with an OE spacer.

Damned if this place isn't a regurtitation of all NAGCA content.
You guys should just start linking NAGCA threads to repetitive inquiries here.

We would but we are not all that certian how long NAGCA is going to last. Hence the reason we are trying to get a refuge for when it does go tits up. Clay is not active with NAGCA anymore and it is only a matter of time before he stops footing the bill, most likely.

cbassett
09-23-2004, 01:37 PM
I'll buy that. 8)