PDA

View Full Version : can't remove my ring gear from carrier

robselina
09-01-2004, 11:40 PM
I decided to try my own R&P swap. (why pay someone else to screw up my rig, I'm perfectly capable of doing that on my own!) Anyway, I'm currently trying to get the ring gear off. All ring gear bolts are removed, but the damn thing won't budge :confused:

I've been smacking it with a rubber mallet, tried prying on it, even tried reinstalling a couple of the ring gear bolts but leaving them loose by 1/16 and smacking them with the rubber mallet but no go....

BTW - The axle in question is a Ford 8.8 out of a early 90s explorer. It has some sort of appendage attached to the carrier for ABS and I've been prying between it and the ring gear.

I'm about ready to move to the 5 lbs sledge, but thought I'd ask here first....

Thanks,
Rob

Kraqa
09-02-2004, 12:05 AM
heat the ring gear, hit with mallet.

robselina
09-02-2004, 12:37 AM
cool. Busting out the torch and 4lbs sledge in the morning :lol:

JpRngr
09-02-2004, 01:18 AM
Just give it some good love taps around the edge with a real hammer. Shouldn't take too much. I've never had to heat one up to get the ring gear off in the 30-40 I've done.

Corey

Raacerx
09-02-2004, 03:30 AM
Just give it some good love taps around the edge with a real hammer. Shouldn't take too much. I've never had to heat one up to get the ring gear off in the 30-40 I've done.

Corey

Yeah, I just tapped around the edge a good bit of times and worked it loose until it came off.

cherokeekid
09-02-2004, 01:22 PM
I just put a blunt punch into one of the ring gear bolt holes and tapped it, the heating it works really good but I've only done that to install a ring gear.

Alaska ZJ
09-02-2004, 04:00 PM
I had to heat the ring gear on my 88. Just be careful if your doing this with an ARB. Those seals are a PIA to change if you melt them. Ask me how I know......lol

robselina
09-02-2004, 10:35 PM
I just put a blunt punch into one of the ring gear bolt holes and tapped it, the heating it works really good but I've only done that to install a ring gear.

This ended up working. I'm stuck again now since I need to get the pinion bearing pulled and pressed on the new pinion...going to see if one of our machinists at work can help me tomorrow....