PDA

View Full Version : why using shocks as limiting straps is a bad idea

BigDaveZJ
09-01-2004, 01:27 AM
I was killing time at Worst Buy before meeting some people over at Chili's. Leaving the parking lot doing screech screech screech action with the spooled 8.8. Since my shock snapped in half saturday it's been extra super cool because of the extra bouncy action involved in this maneuver. So I'm hanging a hard left (left rear shock not there) and BOING!!! out shoots my spring! It was pretty fawkin sweet! Putting a spring back in wearing dress slacks and a dress shirt sucks though!

Raacerx
09-01-2004, 02:26 AM
I was killing time at Worst Buy before meeting some people over at Chili's. Leaving the parking lot doing screech screech screech action with the spooled 8.8. Since my shock snapped in half saturday it's been extra super cool because of the extra bouncy action involved in this maneuver. So I'm hanging a hard left (left rear shock not there) and BOING!!! out shoots my spring! It was pretty fawkin sweet! Putting a spring back in wearing dress slacks and a dress shirt sucks though!

Can I be the first to say... this thread is pointless without pics? Ban!

Nordic1
09-01-2004, 02:44 AM
here's another reason why its bad to use shocks as limmiting straps
Doing this caused me to break my first 5150
http://www.fototime.com/%7BED44021F-D0CA-4CB7-AA13-896DAC4E5AA5%7D/picture.JPG
If this isn't mallcrawlin goodness http://www.fototime.com/%7B5869CDD7-B325-413D-88AE-E507592105DD%7D/picture.GIF then I don't know what is.
http://www.fototime.com/%7B233BF812-CEEB-4C8B-AA49-A6D47427FA84%7D/picture.JPG
http://www.fototime.com/%7B72C0E24A-B85C-4359-BF8F-9A12AC354605%7D/picture.JPG
Yes Brent I know I look like a hippy wearing those sandals...

Trancezj
09-01-2004, 08:59 AM
:? I don't understand how you lost your spring in a parking lot.

BigDaveZJ
09-01-2004, 09:43 AM

The spool caused my suspension to articulate, and without the shock keeping it in check, out popped the spring. If you have an ARB, go lock it and drive around, you'll see what its like.

BigDaveZJ
09-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Can I be the first to say... this thread is pointless without pics? Ban!

If I had the camera with me I would've taken some. I was mainly in a hurry to get my junk fixed and get out of that parking lot without it happening again, as it's kinda embarassing to have your spring come shooting out in a parking lot!

OverkillZJ
09-01-2004, 10:13 AM

Ummm... What's not to understand?

Haven't you seen a spooled ZJ with no sways try to turn? They pretty much reach full flex just turning at an intersection...

BigDaveZJ
09-01-2004, 10:17 AM
here's another reason why its bad to use shocks as limmiting straps

My shock broke on the trail though your parking lot pansy!! :D

Plus my shock carnage looks cooler.
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/wheelinpics/ocg082804/ocg082804%20088.jpg

BMRisko
09-01-2004, 11:39 AM
Haven't you seen a spooled ZJ with no sways try to turn? They pretty much reach full flex just turning at an intersection...

Ah the good 'ole days of the spool. I need to throw the welded carrier back in the 8.8 for good times sake and since its no longer a DD. :D

Moabrox
09-09-2004, 06:45 PM
I don't know if this has happened to anyone else , but I was on steelbender last week leading a trail when my jeep flexed and overextended the shock. I heard a hissing sound after dropping off a ledge and thought I put a hole in my tire. after a closer look I noticed the top of my shock spewing oil all over the place because they are nitrogen charged. Oh and shock oil really smells too :D .

K2
09-11-2004, 03:54 AM
I don't know if this has happened to anyone else , but I was on steelbender last week leading a trail when my jeep flexed and overextended the shock. I heard a hissing sound after dropping off a ledge and thought I put a hole in my tire. after a closer look I noticed the top of my shock spewing oil all over the place because they are nitrogen charged. Oh and shock oil really smells too :D .

That happened to me last week on Steelbender too!

Nordic1
09-11-2004, 11:20 PM
Putting a spring back in wearing dress slacks and a dress shirt sucks though!

I'm trying to erase the image of plumber's butt in the parking lot....

LOL somebody saw my picture on JU... thats not my crack on there but the pen mark left by AprilzWarrior.

BiggerZJ
07-14-2005, 12:49 AM
SOMETIMES YOU WONDER WHY WE DO SUCH STUPID SHIT! i lost a front coil a rear coil and a front brake line using my shocks as limiting straps, and i was at the top of guardrail at tellico, my coils almost made it to the bottom of the mountain SHIT SUCKS! imagine how fun it was comming down the mountain with no brakes!!! should have hooked the e-brake back up huh!

Trancezj
07-14-2005, 08:59 AM
SOMETIMES YOU WONDER WHY WE DO SUCH STUPID SHIT! i lost a front coil a rear coil and a front brake line using my shocks as limiting straps, and i was at the top of guardrail at tellico, my coils almost made it to the bottom of the mountain SHIT SUCKS! imagine how fun it was comming down the mountain with no brakes!!! should have hooked the e-brake back up huh!
yeah that would suck real real bad

JeepinHank
07-14-2005, 09:06 AM
That's why its always good to have vise grips, zip ties, and brake fluid in your trail box.

Clamp off the busted line w/ vise grips, zip tie up out of the way, re-fill MC res, and hope you can stop with 3 brakes!

Had to do that on an XJ once.... One of the rear drums kept seizing up, so we clamped it off. Made a 3-4 hour trip home like that. Not the safest/smartest thing to do, but it will save your ass in a pinch.

BiggerZJ
07-14-2005, 09:51 PM
actually we did the vise grip trick, but seeing as it was 2am and -10 degrees and snowing sideways i didnt feel like bleading the other front brake. thought it made more sense to stay in the heat and bounce down the mountain!

norton
07-14-2005, 10:12 PM

i cant remember a time i broke something when i wasnt being stupid/trying to show off .. wait does being drunk count as stupid?

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
07-14-2005, 11:11 PM
welcome to last year

nate
07-15-2005, 11:59 PM
It depends on the setup. With my short arms it was like that.

With long arms I can barely tell the rear is locked.

Ummm... What's not to understand?

OverkillZJ
07-16-2005, 12:05 AM
Maybe I should set the board to lock threads that haven't received a reply for 3 months...