PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Exchange question...

JeepinHank
08-26-2004, 09:36 AM
Hey folks, I just scored an Oxy/Acet set-up for 50 bucks.

Came with a home made cart
Victor torch with lots of cutting and brazing tips
Two big ol' tanks (not sure on CF, but they're both about 4' tall)
and hoses

The tanks have surface rust, the hoses are dry rotted, and it could use a new set of regulators. All in all, I figure it wasn't a bad deal, and I've been wanting a torch for a while (I've probably spent enough on 4.5" cutting disks to buy a pretty good portable torch setup.) That is provided I can get the tanks filled or exchanged.

I don't have the transport caps for the cylinders. Hopefully I won't catch too much crap for that.

Anyway, I was wondering what kind of experiences you guys have had in exchanging old cylinders? Are they going to turn me away because of some rust?

I know, just take them in and see what they say. I just wanted to get an idea of the rules before I go in there looking like a dumb ass.

TIA

Alaska ZJ
08-26-2004, 12:11 PM
It will depend on the date stamp on the neck of the bottles. But if the date is good they should exchange them for the price of a fill. If it is bad then they will charge you something because they will have to Hydrotest the tanks before they go out again.

The caps will cost you about 5-7 bucks.

JeepinHank
08-26-2004, 12:47 PM
Thanks, I don't think they're too old. They've just been sitting for a long time.

I'll find out soon enough - I'll go by and pick up the caps today.

JeepinHank
09-21-2004, 04:18 PM
FYI - Hydro test fee was $12 per bottle at National Welders.

The acetylene tank I got was a 145 CF bottle, and the O2 bottle was 90 CF. They let me down size to an 80 CF bottle of acetylene, and gave me a credit for the difference in price, so all I had to pay for was the re-fill.

Picked up a 25ft hose, new regulator, and some goggles - now I'm in business!!!

the first thing I'm going to use it for is to rip a 40" piece of 4x6 box tubing in half. :wink: