PDA

View Full Version : brake bleeding? I'm stupid.

Trancezj
08-23-2004, 09:17 AM
I've done this before. Granted I've never been shown how to do it properly. I know it's holding presure, I just can't get it right. I do have help, but I thought we were doing it right. Here's what we were doing. He pumps it up tight and holds it. I release it until fluid was coming out solid. Well after the first few times fluid just came out period, no air that I could tell. I've been through like a quart and a half a fluid. I dont know what to try.

BigDaveZJ
08-23-2004, 09:43 AM
Open the bleeder valve, down on brakes, close valve, up on brakes. What symptoms do you have that make you think the brakes need to be bled?

robselina
08-23-2004, 09:44 AM
what order are you doing the wheels in? you should always start with pass rear, then drv rear, pass front, drv front. Basically start with the furthest one from the MC and then move up one.

Also, when you say your friend pumps it, he shouldn't sit there and pump it a couple of times, that'll just make any air bubbles miniscule and increase your problem. I've found that using those brake bleeder kits is a lot easier BTW, or let it drain by gravity if the ZJ will do that (haven't tried it on the ZJ) Basically on my wagon, I can open up a brake bleeder and leave it open and let the fluid flow out on its own accord (nobody pumping). Once it's running clean, close it up. Want to keep an eye on the MC level of course if you do it that way....might work on the grand?

Also, you sure you don't have a fluid leak anywhere?

Trancezj
08-23-2004, 09:48 AM
well I just found some info on it. Question one, should it be running or no? It said to pump it up, and let it run out until no bubbles are coming out (into a jar of brake fluid).

I have no brake pedal to speak of, you have to pump it 2-3 times to get any pressure.

BigDaveZJ
08-23-2004, 09:57 AM
I don't think I've ever done it with the Jeep running, too hard to talk to the person working the brake. I'd bleed 'em all, in the order posted, and put brand new fluid in until the new fluid comes out each line. If the problem persists, well, fuck, I dunno!

Alaska ZJ
08-23-2004, 10:29 AM
Make sure you calipers are on the correct side. BLEEDERS UP. Ask me how I know.

The World was introduced to the Kung Fu Mod because I didn't check that.

Trancezj
08-23-2004, 10:47 AM
Make sure you calipers are on the correct side. BLEEDERS UP. Ask me how I know.

The World was introduced to the Kung Fu Mod because I didn't check that.
ummmmmmm well, my bleeders are pointing down. :? soooo that's bad?

Trancezj
08-23-2004, 10:48 AM
come to think of it, the air would go UP huh. DAMNIT!!!!!

BigDaveZJ
08-23-2004, 11:11 AM
come to think of it, the air would go UP huh. DAMNIT!!!!!

When I put my 8.8 in I put the calipers on the wrong side, luckily it's happened to enough people where someone told me to check it!

Alaska ZJ
08-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Thank you for shopping MallCrawlin.com

I am glad my stupidity and experience helped you out.

Mtn WJ
08-23-2004, 09:02 PM
You know Alaska I agree I always tell the owner of the company I work for just be glad I made most of my mistakes at the last company I worked for.

On the brake bleeding part. Since lately I have to bleed my brakes by myself I went to using a hand pump with a clear hose. You will need to get a good one and not the cheapy auto parts specials. This has worked a bit better because inevitabley your helper whether pumping the pedal or closing the bleeder valve makes a mistake by allowing the pedal to move up or not closing the valve properly.

BigDaveZJ
08-23-2004, 09:11 PM
This has worked a bit better because inevitabley your helper whether pumping the pedal or closing the bleeder valve makes a mistake by allowing the pedal to move up or not closing the valve properly.

That's why I don't have kids helping me wrench!!

Trancezj
08-24-2004, 08:38 AM
yeah it's fixed. took 5 minutes. lol, I had to get my fiancee to help with the pedal. Needless to say it's not exactly perfect yet.

Jim311
08-24-2004, 12:46 PM
I did the same damn thing. I was so fucking pissed off it wasn't even funny. I couldn't believe how obvious of a mistake it was, but it definitely sounds like I'm not the only one who did it :x

Trancezj
08-24-2004, 01:58 PM
Well, I just figured they'd only go on one way. Must be pretty common, even though Alaska diagnoised it first, that was the first and only response on pirate. It was a long weekend, I wasn't suprised. If a bolt could be broken, stripped, you name it, it did. To top it off, when I put the wheels back on, sat night, I broke 2 lugs off. On the same wheel. In a row. Couldn't even do a test drive. No auto parts stores open past 1 or on sunday in hickville.

Raacerx
08-24-2004, 03:28 PM
Although it sounds like you got it, I did the sequence described above. Farthest from the MC, then worked my way closer. I had one friend stay by the MC with more DOT fluid, one friend working the brake pedal, and me opening and closer the bleeders. Took 5 minutes and the brakes work GREAT!!!! I cant believe how well they work. From D30 discs up front and 8.8 discs in the rear to Chevy 1/2 ton discs up front and Fors drums in the rear. Yet the new setup works BETTER then the dual discs and the Chevy calipers arent THAT much bigger.

PS. Anyone seen brake caliper brackets THIS close to the rim?

http://www.fototime.com/{425FA78B-B6F0-456C-883D-D253F68236D1}/picture.JPG

Trancezj
08-24-2004, 03:50 PM
damn that's close as hell... I welded my u-joint caps though, and with tiny weeny little tacks, they wouldn't fit through the knuckle. I though that was rediculous.

Swamp boy
08-24-2004, 05:02 PM
I am thinking of putting disks on my 8.8 I have a line on a set from an old cop car... Are they any good?? Worth the hasle?? I am sure someone has done it before...

Carl