PDA

View Full Version : Chevy 1/2ton Caliper to Stock Brakelines Question

Raacerx
08-15-2004, 02:59 AM
Got around to hooking up my brakes today. '75 or '76 Chevy 4WD 1/2 ton calipers. I have the RE Stainless extended lines. The bolt that bolts the brakeline to the caliper on the Chevy calipers is bigger then the ones used on my old jeep stuff or the Ford calipers the D44 originally came with.

Question is, can I just drill out the banjo fitting on the line to fit the larger bolt? Or do I have to buy new lines or maybe just a new banjo fitting? I dont see why I cant just drill the banjo out a little more, there is enough material, but I wanted to make sure before I go and ruin my brand new bling bling shiney brake lines. Sorry, I do not have a digital camera.

PS. Anyone else running Chevy knuckles and caliper brackets on their D44? My brackets come within about 3/16" of an inch of the rim (15x8). I had to remove my wheel weights for them to fit. I also had to grind some off the calipers for them to fit as well, but after that, they fit fine.

Alaska ZJ
08-15-2004, 10:06 AM
I drilled out my RE lines. No problem.

Cody
08-15-2004, 02:36 PM
On my ford front end, everything worked fine (RE brakelines). I used the stock front brakelines in the back w/ 1/2 chevy calipers and I just went down to Autozone and found the correct banjo bolt for the application. Thats all I remember doing anyways.

Cody

Raacerx
08-17-2004, 12:57 AM
Drilled em out today. There was like a recessed portion in the RE banjo and thats no longer there, but hopefully that doesnt matter. Used a 15/32 cause thats what I had, although I think a 7/16 would have been better.

AprilzWarrior
08-17-2004, 01:07 AM
Yeah, drill them out no bigge... did it on NorCalJrs ZJ, just use NEW copper o-rings on the banjo bolt.

AW

Raacerx
08-20-2004, 02:00 AM
If anyone cares, Ive been driving the thing and the brakes are actually great. I havent even done the rear disc swap yet. Stops better then with the HP30/8.8 combo and 33" tires. Probably wont even change it for awhile.