PDA

View Full Version : Weird 4 Low w/231 issues

LouisianaZJ
08-15-2004, 01:25 AM
d30 w lockright and D44 with track lock
4.0L AW4 auto

4 hi and 2wd works fine.

It shifts into and out of 4 low fine, no grinding etc. and I dont hear any t-case noisies at all. The thing is If I put it in reverse I can feel the gear reduction fine, but as soon as I put it in D or 3 (locks out OD on AW4) IT seems to start out in 2nd or mabey 3rd gear????If i put if I put it in 1-2 on the shifter it will start out in 1st fine? it also felt like the lockright was not engaging very well at all at times.

The auto shifts fine on the street in 2wd.

Alaska ZJ
08-15-2004, 10:05 AM
nuetral safety switch. That would be the first place I looked.

LouisianaZJ
08-19-2004, 05:37 PM
NSS? it starts fine in park and in neutral and reverse lights work, so I guess it is OK.

Fluid levels in TC and trans are good, they did not look emulsified

new tps a couple weeks ago

It is also shifting a little softer than it used too.

robselina
08-19-2004, 05:56 PM
It is also shifting a little softer than it used too.

what's your trans fluid level like? what about the fluid itself? still nice and red or is it kinda oily and burnt?

My best guess is your governor valve on the trans is failing. Fix it quick or it'll take the whole trans with it in no time......

LouisianaZJ
08-19-2004, 06:02 PM
yes, it is a little thinner than before but not burnt.

is there a way to test the valve? or would it show up in the TCU codes and how much will a shop charge me to fix that?

I found this that said it does not use a gov valve?
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15044&highlight=governor+valve

robselina
08-19-2004, 08:25 PM
AW4, sorry I was thinking 46RH

robselina
08-19-2004, 08:27 PM
AW4, sorry I was thinking 46RH

short version is that it does sound like a fluid pressure problem though. That would explain the smoother shifting and the feeling that you're in third in 4LO. I'm not up to speed on the AW4, but I'd look into what can cause low fluid pressure. Have you changed the filter recently? might be an easy fix...

I would work it out soon though, 'cause with low fluid pressure, you're going to wear down your clutch packs sooner and torch the trans. That feeling that it's a little thinner is probably because it's getitng saturated with clutch material...