PDA

View Full Version : Ideal way to tow a grand on a trailer.

Nate Cannon
08-13-2004, 10:01 PM
I'm renting a 2 axle car hauler from ahern rental with a 5k capacity 15 foot bed.

What is the ideal way to put my jeep on the trailer and tie it down?
To the body or the axles?
How far should I pull it on, ideally?
We're towing it with a cummins, so no worries on power.
-Nate

ROKN ZJ
08-13-2004, 11:37 PM
Watch the tongue when you pull it on, and just make sure its about level. Its hard to give an aprox distance, but ideally the vehicle weight should be centered over the axles of the trailer.

As for strapping it down, I always tie down to the axles.

Hal

Swamp boy
08-14-2004, 12:37 AM
I have always heard that you should slightly compress the springs so that the vehichle doesnt bounce.. I would strap to the axles and then maybe hook the hitch and the tow hooks (or whatever) and squat the suspension a little..

There was a huge argument on my local forum about this .. And in the end we talked to car haulers and tow truck drivers and they both said.. Hook to the axles and squat the suspension..

Good luck...

chadjans
08-14-2004, 03:12 AM
Try squating a lanky ZJ suspension. Not going to happen. And if you try your rig is going to plag tug a war with the straps and the straps will lose. Tie the axles with good quality straps and binders. Let the shocks control the "bounce" on the jeep. Which wouldn't be any more than driving the thing.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237358

Chad

Nate Cannon
08-14-2004, 12:49 PM
I was shooting for 500 pounds of tongue weight.
I was thinking I could strap the jeep by the axles and then tie down to the frame to keep it from getting crazy, we're doing a 1000 mile pull so I want as few problems as possible.
-Nate

mikebeach
08-14-2004, 10:23 PM
When I got my Grand from CA, I towed it back. I strapped it at the axles and then used the winch to sinch the suspension just a little bit cause the suspension was so soft.
http://img20.exs.cx/img20/8153/grandintow.jpg
HTH
Mike

Cody
08-14-2004, 10:31 PM
Strap/chain the axles, then strap down the suspension. I usually only pulldown my front suspension since thats where my weight is . On long hauls, like to AZ, I sucked down front and rear suspension. Tust me, the bouncing jeep effect is a PITA especially in rougher conditions. Just make sure you use some HD ratchet straps and you'll be good. Those chincy little motorcylce straps don't work. Just hook it up to the front bumper. and then jump on the hood while someone ratchets the strap down tight.

This is especially useful if you're towing with a smaller tow vehicle. If you have a quad-cab-long-bed dually I don't know that it would be that big of a deal.

Cody

Nate Cannon
08-14-2004, 10:56 PM
we're basically using a truck just like your's cody.

I have 4 10k max rated ratchet straps and 2 slightly smaller ones.

Is it ok to use the oval holes in the "frame" that the tow truck drivers use? Is it bad to strap to ONLY the body?
-Nate

ROKN ZJ
08-15-2004, 12:10 AM
Is it ok to use the oval holes in the "frame" that the tow truck drivers use? Is it bad to strap to ONLY the body?
-Nate

I wouldn't.

I don't load the suspension much at all. Basically I strap to the axles, and then with the slack of the strap I hand tie the body of the zj to the trailer, just to keep it from bouncing too much. I've found every time I really try and load the suspension with straps its not enough and I end up losing my ratchet strap, or it just becomes loose and flops around on the trailer. I can't ever compress the suspension enough.

One thing to watch out for though (obviously) is sharp edges. Also watch out for braklines on the axles. I usually tie down my grand by going over the pinion of the axle, and then out to the edges of the trailer. This is a pretty good way of strapping down vehicles regardless of suspension.

JpRngr
08-15-2004, 01:59 AM
I agree with the above comments. I strap the axles to hold it to the trailer and then crisscross a couple more straps from side to side from the body to the trailer to control sway of the body. I would definitely not do from the body alone as even though you can cinch down the suspension quite a bit, you're not going to eliminate all the movement in the body. This could potentially lead to the straps coming undone and losing your Jeep.

P.S. There's no such thing as using too many straps! If it doesn't look secure enough with however many you have, get more and use them. It's cheap insurance.

Corey

JpRngr
08-15-2004, 02:02 AM
BTW, Mike, I just saw that Jeep last night! Brand new MTR's on it and a rear bumper in the process of being built. Pretty cool.

Corey

BigDaveZJ
08-15-2004, 02:46 AM
I strap the axles to hold Dave's ZJ to the trailer

Fixed it for ya!

Alaska ZJ
08-15-2004, 10:17 AM
Trailering for Dummie's (AKA Mr. Cannon)

Hook trailer to vehicle.

Ensure all lights and brakes work.

measure the height of the trailer hitch/ball assembly. (remember the number)

Load ZJ.

Drive ti forward and backward until you have compressed the rear suspension of the tow vehicle about 2-3 inches

Strap the axles with chains and binder.

Strap the body to keep it from swaying (If you have front and rear sway bars you probably don't have to do this.)

Enjoy.[/code]

mikebeach
08-15-2004, 09:14 PM
BTW, Mike, I just saw that Jeep last night! Brand new MTR's on it and a rear bumper in the process of being built. Pretty cool.

Corey
Sweet! Tell Stuart I said hey. That was a great jeep, to bad I couldnt have kept it.
Mike

Bulldog 6
09-28-2004, 04:20 PM
You are gonna want to have 10 - 15 % of the towed weight in tounge weight so 500# will get you into that ballpark. I would even look towards going more than 500# but no more than 650#. Definately you will need to have some sort of trailer brakes on it. Being a rental it probably will have surge brakes.

Strap the axles, and some sort of sway control strapping. Keep an eye on it while towing. Make sure that the trailer tires are properly aired up. Under inflated trailer tires will lead to trailer sway. If the trailer sways then you either have under inflated tires or not enough tounge weight. Just move the trailer forward on the trailer to increase your tounge weight.

Slow down and take your time. Check the tires and straps at every stop you make. Air pressure in the trailer tires goes up 4-5 psi when heated.