PDA

View Full Version : Gathering TC info, please contribute

gsh
08-10-2004, 01:48 AM
I'm gonna try to assemble a reference guide for TC swaps. We all know about the different length input shafts and spline count and gear cut change around '95.

Here's what I need from yunze:
The ID tag numbers,
The actual input shaft length (.75", .84", or 1.55" )
Tranny model
Engine
Vehicle year
donor vehicle model , tranny and year if known

Only report if you know the origin of the TC(s)

TIA

P.S. The reference guide is not gonna be just a listing of this info. I need this to confirm some other sources I'm finding.

Also if anybody knows the actual date of the change in the gearcut, that would help. Thought I saw a post on NAGCA before, but can't get a search narrowed enough to be useful.

If you don't have all the info above, contribute anyway. I just need to tie the tag codes to the measurements.

cherokeekid
08-10-2004, 02:19 PM
the gear cut was mid 1994 I never got an actual date and I would venture to guess that the parts would carry over a bit anyways.

I've swapped a newer input (input only not the entire sun gear) into an older case with good luck but not the other way around. and I've put an older sun gear and input into a newer annulus with good luck too. Not sure if that really helps but I guess on a budget it might.

MaineZJ
08-14-2004, 06:21 PM
man, sure is overwhelming the amount of responces to this...
right when I'm looking for info too

gsh
08-15-2004, 06:10 PM
Yeah. I was hoping to assemble a chart with confirmed build dates for the gear cut change. Then figure out what indicates input shaft length. It would be nice to know if you need to change a shaft beforehand. Then it would be nice to know if you can use your original. I try to minimize downtime on my daily driver. Having all the parts ready to go sure is nice.

Cody
08-16-2004, 01:51 PM
95 v8 ZJ w/ 46rh tranny.

Input shafts measured 2 1/8" from mounting surface.

Donor's came from, newer TJ, newer TJ, Advance Adapters.

Yes I've gone through 2 231's and an atlas. :D

I know newer TJ's with the 4.0 have the same input gear as my 95 v8 junk. I think most 4.0 XJ's are in the same boat.

FWIW, the atlas input shaft measured just shy of 2" and it seems to have sealed just fine.

Cody

MikeZJCJ
08-22-2004, 09:48 AM
The Cut off year that I have found and so far have had luck with is thru 1/12/95. Not sure how accurate that is but its the info a local mechanic came up with for me and it has been good to date.