PDA

View Full Version : Taps

cherokeekid
08-09-2004, 09:40 PM
I'm doing a couple WJ front brake/knuckle conversions and I want to be able to tap the Tie rods/drag links myself. THe WJ TRE's are offset which helps keep them out of the springs.

At any rate I cam having a hell of a time finding a left and rt hand tap they are 24mm ( I do need to nail down the thread pitch though) any thoughts on where to find these?

JayDee
08-09-2004, 11:20 PM
I'm doing a couple WJ front brake/knuckle conversions and I want to be able to tap the Tie rods/drag links myself. THe WJ TRE's are offset which helps keep them out of the springs.

At any rate I cam having a hell of a time finding a left and rt hand tap they are 24mm ( I do need to nail down the thread pitch though) any thoughts on where to find these?

Ya might try J&L Industrial. http://www.jlindustrial.com/

cherokeekid
08-10-2004, 02:14 PM
Thanks JD, I've come across a few now I just need to figure out the thread pitch for a WJ TRE :(

Alaska ZJ
09-18-2004, 09:29 AM
Get a good tap. I bought a cheapo thinking (hell I only need to do these 6 holes). It didn't last one hole.

Went and bought a good industrial name brand tape and it cuts like butter.

JeepinHank
09-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Anyone ever use one of those tapping tool attachments for a drill press? Saw one in the last HF catalog I got, and it looked pretty neat. Figured it'd mess up more stuff than it helped though.

Kinda related, I just figured I'd ask.

Nordic1
09-21-2004, 02:38 AM
I've used a set in a drill press... the tap had an adapter to slow the RPMs down (no idea how the thing works) but the tap cut through everything flawlessly. It was cool :D

Kraqa
10-18-2004, 09:55 PM
try a machien tap. thay are designed to work in a drill expencive but thay really tp well. we bought one 3/4 NC that we use with a mag drill at work. works like budda