PDA

View Full Version : I screwed up pretty good this time

shayzj
08-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Pulled my leaking radiator today to replace it and wanted to replace the hard as hell to get to bypass hose on the top of the water pump. Could not get the last bolt out and pryed a little too hard on the bracketry for the ac and alternator. What to do now?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/shayzj/IM002830.jpg

I barely put much pressure on it and it cracked like a toothpick. Now my ZJ is tore to pieces and I have none of the replacement parts on hand yet!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/shayzj/IM002831.jpg

The radiator was leaking from the drivers side tank and I have also been having some minor cooling issues. Wonder why!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/shayzj/IM002832.jpg

Anybody have one of these pussy cast aluminum brackets laying around I can have or I guess I will try and bolt it all back up and see how bad it is. I do not think you can weld this brittle looking shit.

Any advice. Anyone else ever been this stupid?

Shay

JayDee
08-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Well ya shouldn't have done that.

I'd say.... replace that bracket or you're gonna have a bunch of belt driven componentry flying around your engine bay. Just go to the 'yard or somethin.

gsh
08-10-2004, 01:36 AM
Maybe JB Weld and duct tape :?

Seriously, I'd check the junkyards. Juts remember that alot of other models just might have the same bracket.

JeepinHank
08-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Ouch, I feel for you on that one.

Your best option would be to get a bracket from a yard. You could try to fab something up, but I don't think it would be worth the time/effort unless you were adding something else (air comp, second alt) into the pulley routing.

PM me if you have trouble finding a part up your way. I found a good pick-n-pull last weekend - 9 or 10 ZJs mostly complete.

Hank

Alaska ZJ
08-10-2004, 11:15 AM
New Bracket......That is Cast aluminum...Serious PIA to weld back together....lol that sucks.

shayzj
08-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks jeepinhank I will let you know. When I get the radiator in and all the new hoses I will bolt it back together and epoxy the crack just for the hell of it and see how it runs. If not I will need a bracket for sure.

Yea from the looks of the softness of that metal I do not know if it would be possible to weld at all. If it looked possible I would get some aluminum wire to throw in the hobart 175 and try it myself but I do not think so.

Oh I will figure something out. It was my own stupidity!

Shay

JpRngr
08-11-2004, 01:39 AM
Don't you hate it when things like that happen! :roll:

I'll trade ya a bracket for that nice shiny winch! :lol: JK! If you can't find one local, make it worth my time to ship it to ya and I'll let it go!

Corey

paulkeith
09-27-2004, 06:09 PM
hey, a buddy of mine just tore his v8 zj apart and parted it out (he spun a bearing)

he might have that bracket, but there's a good chance its in SC , and he's in VA. i'll see what i can do and will let you know asap

Paul