PDA

View Full Version : Inverted T and sharing trackbar bolt for SS

ATL ZJ
08-07-2004, 01:02 AM
I'm trying to get my steering stablizer on so I can figure out how much bumpsteer I'll have. It's not terrible now, but I haven't been over 50 mph with it. The draglink is too short just because I had the steering wheel turned when measuring :roll: out of carelessness. I may end up making another or going with a drop pitman of some kind. I'm thinking having the trackbar raised a little in it's mount to try and match the draglink angle might help correct the bumpsteer. But I don't know how essential it is to have the adjustable portion of the trackbar (the part that's gold in color) be parallel to the axle housing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/DCP_0464.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/DCP_0465.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/DCP_0463.jpg

What I would like to do is use one bolt for the trackbar and steering stablizer mount on the axle side. It is in the perfect place for steering stablizer. Would a ~ 4" grade 8 bolt used to mount the SS single shear and then through the trackbar mount in the picture be sufficient? I don't want to risk shearing that trackbar bolt and die, so I thought I'd check first.

Is a stock XJ pitman arm longer than and stock ZJ one? The arm would be from an 01 XJ, and since I can get it for free I thought it's worth checking.

luvthejeep
08-07-2004, 03:25 AM
i wouldent recomend it bc when you torqe that boult dont it has to have enugh clamping force to also hold the trac-bar in place- i doubt your going to be able to do that with the rubber bushing on the ss on that bolt- you could use a threaded rod to do it and have a nut between the ss and the track bar mount- that would give you a solid surface to crank down on- anyways if you still decide you want to mount it like that - good luck with clearance- that tie-rod comes mighty close to that mount when your at either lock-

i dont think its impearitve to have that adjustable track bar end parrelell to the axle- its definately close enugh on your rig-

imo i would jsut fab up a bracket simalar to stock for the ss and call it a day

Jim311
08-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Who makes your steering setup? Looks beefy.

Raacerx
08-07-2004, 02:52 PM
you can mount your SS a variety of ways. I just took a bolt, grinded of part of the head so it could sit at an angle, and then welded it to my above axle trackbar mount. Its not like the SS puts much stress on anything. To attach it to the tierod, I used 2 u-bolts, a piece of 1/8" plate, and then welded another bolt to the plate. Cost me $1.49 for everything at the hardware store.

I guess you could run a single bolt if you wanted (granted you had a nut between the trackbar mount and the SS to tighten enough) but wouldn't that hit your tierod when your fully turned? Maybe its because of my histeer but I dont have much room between the axle and the tierod.

PS. For the angles between the trackbar and your draglink, its bolt to bolt. Doesnt matter how many funky bends you have in your trackbar and absolutely does not matter if the adjustable part is parralel to the axle.

ATL ZJ
08-07-2004, 03:20 PM
Who makes your steering setup? Looks beefy.

Me. .250 wall DOM and chevy 1 ton ends, not too complicated. Since I haven't learned to weld yet and lack a welder, I am hesitant to fab up a bracket for the steering stabilizer as that will ultimately take longer and annoy the friends that I have do my welding for me now.

I'm thinking about putting a 4" long bolt through the steering stabilizer, followed by a nut, which will be torqued down pretty well. I then will slip the remaining half of that grade 8 bolt through the trackbar mount that will be fastened on the other side. So yes, basically the threaded rod idea. I may have some clearance issues as you said though, since the tierod is at its farthest distance away from the housing when the tires are pointed forward.

Alaska ZJ
08-08-2004, 08:13 AM
The long bolt sounds like a shitty idea.

Just go get a couple of those Universal U bolt steering stabalizer mounts if you can't make it. All the poser trucks use them to control 10 inch blocks and 44 inch tires on 1/2 ton axles.

I used them when I still had a SS. Worked just fine.