PDA

View Full Version : Welded diff

justinreinke
08-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Well since I have the locker-less D44A I was thinking about having it welded up. It's cheap and effective off road. I still need to pay someone because I can't weld. Unless somebody in Colorado wants to do a charity case. But I want to know just how bad is it on the street? This is my dd. Also, I don't see why not but can the r&p be swapped to lower gears if I want to in the future after everything is welded up. I have an uninstalled OX for the front but I am still debating if I want to even bother with the 30 up front or try to sell the OX for a better axle.

luvthejeep
08-04-2004, 02:24 PM
dont waste money on those axles-

Alaska ZJ
08-04-2004, 03:44 PM
http://www.funsport.it/fun/vignette/Giallo/turd.jpg

That is what I think of your Aluminum 44 and the lincoln locker you can't install.

Pearce
08-04-2004, 03:51 PM
:shock: stinky!

BigDaveZJ
08-04-2004, 04:14 PM
They're fun on the street. Unless you have a really short commute or don't mind buying new tires a lot, I wouldn't do it. I have my 8.8 spooled, but it's not my DD. I'd just get rid of the A44 altogether.

justinreinke
08-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Nice visual! Was it burrito night at the igloo? Don't they wipe in Alaska?

I know that axle sucks but I don't have any money to switch it out (unemployed) and I am only running 33's now. As for me not being able to install, it's not a matter of me not knowing how to wrench my ride. I do all the work myself as it is. I do not have a welder and I am not sure I would trust my welds if I did. Someday I will learn. I know there are limitations but I don't think the 44A is a horrible axle and it should last for a little while given where I'm at with my Jeep. The Lincoln locker shouldn't make it any worse. They are pretty much worthless when I get around to swapping it anyways. I will upgrade when funds permit. As for the 30, I got the OX really cheap and if I were to install it I could always sell the axle with OX later when I upgrade or I could just sell the locker now. Still havent made up my mind on that but I can't afford deeper gears right now so it's a mute point. I would not bother with it until I could change the gear ratio at the same time. It's all about baby steps right now. I was just wondering how bad the driving characteristics really are in the real world on the street. Tire wear is an issue I have already considered. Another is winter time driving. Opinions are greatly appreciated though.

justinreinke
08-04-2004, 05:49 PM
Oh, and just how long can one expect a set of tires to last? Is it obscene or just slightly accelerated wear.

JohnBoulderCO
08-04-2004, 05:54 PM
No TP? :shock:

I hope you wiped after pinching that off.