PDA

View Full Version : Center long arm limiting straps

Troy
08-03-2004, 04:39 PM
OK guys, I read the posts on NAGCA and would like some of you to chime in with length of CENTER limiting straps that you use front or rear or both.

I know Cody runs 2-3 inches in the front and 3 inches in the back.

I'll be installing them soon enough on my rig and this is why. :

http://smallnet.homeip.net/gallery/albums/Paragon-July-31-August-1%2C-2004/DSCN2455.jpg

Alaska ZJ
08-03-2004, 07:15 PM
Mine are chain. Reason why is so that I could adjust them. 3 inches on the front worked grear and I was at about 4 in the rear and should have shortened them some more.

JayDee
08-03-2004, 07:56 PM
Mine are chain. Reason why is so that I could adjust them. 3 inches on the front worked grear and I was at about 4 in the rear and should have shortened them some more.

Where did you attach to the frame? I assume "3 inches" means how much the whole axle can droop (slack?)

Alaska ZJ
08-03-2004, 10:33 PM
on the I6 there are 3 empty bolt holes on the side of the block. I made a plate to attach to those holes and then welded the chain to the plate.

Cody attached his to his motor mount area. He has the V8.

Rear is to my shock x member that I added special so it doesn't help you much.

Nate Cannon
08-04-2004, 02:02 AM
I attached it to my motor mount and just a tab welded to the axle. When I'm going to be wheeling moab or doing climbs I literally get it to be tight sitting at rest, it seems to work well if I'm not limited by suspension parts dragging, and I haven't had problems climing anything that doesn't have ridiculous breakover angles. don't have one in the rear yet.
-Nate

Troy
03-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Reviving this old thread...

Alaska, got any pictures of the holes you used? I don't see any empty bolt holes on my I-6 block.

For anyone else running front/rear limiting straps, where did you mount them on the frame side?

Kraqa
03-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Alaska hasn't been on here for some time now. No one knows where he went.

norcaljr
03-21-2005, 10:20 PM
Alaska hasn't been on here for some time now. No one knows where he went.

isnt he still in the army ? maybe he got deploy'd ?

DND
03-21-2005, 11:16 PM
From what I heard Brentt was Reg Force stationed in Alaska and is now Reserve and lives in Idaho?, I believe. He mentioned his Reserve unit was scheduled to deploy in early '05. He was on the site a couple of weeks ago but didn't reply to the 'Where's AlaskaZJ' thread. Strange.

chadjans
03-22-2005, 12:03 AM
Alaska has a new jeep....

95 ZJ
03-22-2005, 12:39 AM
He's in the reserves but lives in Minot North Dakota now because his wife is stationed there. He hasn't deployed to anywhere that I've heard of. I can't figure out why he won't respond to threads, occasionaly he'll post a sentence or two on out Alaska based 4x4 board but then we won't hear from him for a month or more until the next sentence. I'm pretty curious what he's up to.

DND
03-22-2005, 03:39 AM
He's in the reserves but lives in Minot North Dakota now because his wife is stationed there. He hasn't deployed to anywhere that I've heard of. I can't figure out why he won't respond to threads, occasionaly he'll post a sentence or two on out Alaska based 4x4 board but then we won't hear from him for a month or more until the next sentence. I'm pretty curious what he's up to.

Oh well, I was close for the most part. :supz:

Troy
03-22-2005, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep trying to figure out a way to anchor the frame end of the strap.

Trancezj
03-23-2005, 02:27 PM
dunno, but winch around the axle = variable lengths.

nate
03-23-2005, 04:46 PM
I was thinking of using cable. You'd be able to adjust the length to get it just right... wouldn't be nosiy like chain... dunno.

Troy
08-13-2005, 01:24 PM
I got the beginnings of mine installed today. I have to mount the front axle end which I need a welder to do and I need to create some sort of cross member for the body end of the rear. Here are the pics. I'm not sure how the front will do since I had to come up with ghetto fab idea since I couldn't find a mount point in the middle. Good old pythagorean theorum helped me figure out the strap length for the front. I'm thinking of going with 3" of downtravel for the rear and only 2" in the front since I'm not sure if having a triangulated setup will work or not. Any recommendations?

http://smallnet.homeip.net/gallery/albums/Limiting-Straps/DSCF0025.sized.jpg

http://smallnet.homeip.net/gallery/albums/Limiting-Straps/DSCF0026.sized.jpg

http://smallnet.homeip.net/gallery/albums/Limiting-Straps/DSCF0027.sized.jpg

http://smallnet.homeip.net/gallery/albums/Limiting-Straps/DSCF0029.sized.jpg

ATL ZJ
08-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Interesting. I need to do that on mine. What did you use as an upper mount in the rear?

OverkillZJ
08-13-2005, 01:55 PM
I can't believe I never throught of the 2 straps in the front, makes so much more sense with the engine in the way.

Troy
08-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Interesting. I need to do that on mine. What did you use as an upper mount in the rear?

I haven't built it yet but I'm thinking of cutting a slit in the cargo area with a metal tab that sticks down... that will be the eyelet for bolt to attach to. Then I'll build something out of plate that'll distribute the weight across the bed of the cargo area.

norcaljr
08-14-2005, 02:51 PM

I haven't built it yet but I'm thinking of cutting a slit in the cargo area with a metal tab that sticks down... that will be the eyelet for bolt to attach to. Then I'll build something out of plate that'll distribute the weight across the bed of the cargo area.

why not just run a cross-member in front of the gas tank ?

That's what I am planning on doing, and it can also be used to triangulate your shocks too :smt003

Troy
08-14-2005, 08:36 PM

I had thought about doing that too. How are you going to secure it?

norcaljr
08-15-2005, 01:43 AM

I had thought about doing that too. How are you going to secure it?

I was thinking of running some 1.5'' DOM I have across and welding some channel to the ends so that it meets the unibody both on the inside and bottom of the fram rails. To attack it I thought of using the same holes that the rear bump stops mount to, or just welding the bastid on there.

This is the only pic I can find of what im talking about right now. Its of Chris Bassetts old ZJ. In the pic you can see how he has his rear shocks set-up and it you just as easy mount the top limiting strap to it.

http://fototime.com/0CB24E70D430A2F/orig.jpg

Troy
08-15-2005, 06:56 AM
That helps. I'll look into doing the same although I'm not into triangulating my shocks just yet. I guess Chris welded his cross member in? I'll probably bolt mine in.

JeepinHank
08-15-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm not positive if it would work, but what about the swabar bracket bolts?
[Edit: Just looked out at the Jeep (I'm driving it BTW :supz: ) - I was thinking about the bump stop bolts - you could put sandwich a piece of angle iron in there between the bumpstops and the body, and attach your limit straps to that. As long as it wouldn't affect your axle on up travel. I'm looking at other options for my shock mounting points, so I've been looking at that myself.]

Is there other stuff in the way?

Front looks good. Couldn't you just use like a beefed up hose clamp on the front axle side mount?

JH

Troy
08-15-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm no engineer but I'm not too sure about the shear angles on the front bolts I used, especially since I only used one bolt that is undersized compared to the hole size in the strap. I may try and fab up some plates to attach beneath the two bolts on each side and use it instead, with the correct size bolt holes. As far as the rear... I'd be worried about shear on the bumpstop bolts too but it may be doable with a bracket and the proper sized holes. I think that a crossmember would work OK since your bolt shear angles will be close to 90 degrees but I'm worried about the weight on the middle of the tube/pipe. I'm going to fashin a crossmember this Saturday and probably run a 1"X1/4" truss down the edge of the pipe to help it's strength.

TrojanMan
08-15-2005, 03:42 PM
i'm sure you could take like 1/4 plate, make some kind of bracket, and use the holes that the ac compressor and alternator bolt to. You can go to the hardware store and buy new bolts 1/4" longer so that won't be a worry.

MassZJ
10-28-2005, 06:48 PM
Any update on this?

OverkillZJ
10-28-2005, 07:06 PM
i'm sure you could take like 1/4 plate, make some kind of bracket, and use the holes that the ac compressor and alternator bolt to. You can go to the hardware store and buy new bolts 1/4" longer so that won't be a worry.

How did I miss this 2 months ago? You're talking about using your aluminum engine block to hang your axle off of?

Three words: NO NO NO!

Frame, motor mount, etc... not motor....

:shake head:

Troy
10-28-2005, 09:58 PM
Any update on this?

I got them installed. Never did change the way the front uses the motor mount bolts though. I did make a crossmember for the rear. I'll take some pics and post ASAP.

Troy
11-08-2005, 12:05 AM
Pics of the finished straps and mounts.

http://smallnet.homeip.net/gallery/albums/Limiting-Straps/DSCF0022.sized.jpg

http://smallnet.homeip.net/gallery/albums/Limiting-Straps/DSCF0023.sized.jpg

http://smallnet.homeip.net/gallery/albums/Limiting-Straps/DSCF0024.sized.jpg

http://smallnet.homeip.net/gallery/albums/Limiting-Straps/DSCF0025_001.sized.jpg

OverkillZJ
11-08-2005, 12:07 AM
Very nice!

TrojanMan
11-08-2005, 12:53 AM
that's kinda sexy.

zjeepin
11-09-2005, 04:19 PM
so can you buy those straps made to your specified length? i need to do this.

by the way nice work and good ideas! props

Kraqa
11-09-2005, 04:59 PM
you can use old seat belts. thats what i will be doing.

zjeepin
11-09-2005, 05:38 PM

thats a damn good idea, how do you plan make them the correct length... ie sewing them?...

Troy
11-09-2005, 05:44 PM

Correct.

I used the sway away straps because of the added strap protection. They have a metal collar inside of the strap loop which will help them to last a bit longer. I have seen the ones without the metal insert wear through. Plus I try to avoid ghetto fab but sometimes my poor workmanship shows more than the quality part.

Kraqa
11-09-2005, 08:11 PM
the same way climbing starts are made. loop it throeugh then use two plates of steem and bolt them together clamping the two together.

or i guess for rear getto fab you could use the middle seat belt and just adjust it.