PDA

View Full Version : Mounting 2 ARB Compressors

Mtn WJ
08-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Has anyone mounted two ARB or 12 V compressors on their Jeep. Before you say just get a York or something else let me explain why I am thinking of doing this. When I was in the production industry we used to double stack video projectors calling it the 3 B's. Brilliance, Brightness and Back up. My theme this summer is to create back up or contingency plans for as many potential problems on my Jeep.

The idea for adding a second ARB pump is the same. I already have one to run my locker and pump up my tires. It actually only takes about 20 minutes to take the 4 - 32's from 16psi to 32psi. So if I add a second ARB compressor and use a tank I will certainly decrease the fill up time and have a back up compressor in case one fails to run my locker. I have room for a second one next to the red top battery which is smaller than the old battery.

I can either run them both off of 1 preasure switch or use the separate switches that come with the compressors. I do not think separate switches will be an issue because they will just shut off at 90 psi and this will be a pretty simple install.

Any opinions or ideas?

robselina
08-03-2004, 02:29 PM
just add a tank and don't worry about a second compressor. It's more useful that way and you're not going to have failure of that pump probably.

If you do want a second compressor, do a york or equivalent 'cause that will eliminate the possibility of electical problems being the cause of your ARB pump failure (in which case both could now be dead)

Don S
08-03-2004, 05:50 PM
Mtn WJ

... Go for the redundancy. My FSJ has two optimas, two fans, two fuel tanks and two electric fuel pumps. Added to that it has two drivers, two easy chairs, two lawn chairs and a double bed in the back.

Keith, how many amps does the pump draw at max load? After doing this for 20 years in the '76 I'm thinking about airing down and discos on the swaybar. :roll:

In July we did Lost Trail, Stony Pass and Yankee Boy Basin on our 2,200 mile ’76 Wagoneer trip.

Have a good one ;) and CUL Don S..

The 2005 Ouray FSJ ReUnInvasion July 13 - 16

Jeepin' Wolf
08-04-2004, 02:57 AM
I've got a QAII in tandem with the ARB one and it does pump the tires say 10-20% faster. If you do this watch your connectiona, make sure they're either a) on separate circuits (no common + or ground) or b) make sure the wire can withstand a 60+ AMP peak draw w/o setting things on fire. 2-3ga Tank helps either way. I wouldn't buy a second air compressor just for this, but if you have them lying around....why not.

Mtn WJ
08-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the ideas

I am able to buy a second ARB compressor pretty cheap which is what led me to the idea.

I plan to wire them separately off of the battery. The ARB's use a 30 amp fuse and I will run separate 10ga wire for both the ground and hot leads. The second compressor will T with the first to a 2 gal tank. I will locate the switch for the second pump on my front bumper along with the air chuck inside a metal box. This way I can turn on the first pump as usual from inside the cab and when I want to pump up tires I will attach my hose to the chuck and turn on the second compressor. This will give me more speed while providing a second compressor if needed for my locker. My entire investment should be about 100-150 with everything including the compressor.