PDA

View Full Version : Is buying a custom driveshaft locally my best bet?

Jim311
08-02-2004, 10:15 AM
Or would it be better to order from somebody like Tom Woods? I've seen lots of people saying that local shops are just as good as Woods... any truth to this? What exactly should I be looking for? Should I stick to a CV setup? Possible to switch to ujoints or would that be undesirable? I totally wasted my front CV shaft on a steep hill climb this weekend... the rain made the trail into soup :x

http://www.jeepcrew.com/uploads/DSC05986.jpg

Now sure whether I came slamming down on that ledge with the front shaft, or whether the front CV shaft was just old and in need of replacement anyway. I think the shaft was the cause of my driveline howl and vibration since none of that is there now that the shaft is gone.

BigDaveZJ
08-02-2004, 10:41 AM
Stock CV front driveshaft = biggest piece o' shit ever. I blew 3 of them up . . . . STOCK. The slip of the shaft is built into the joint, bad news. Extend the joint, apply gas, boom. I got mine at a local shop, although TW is good place too. Get a quote from each and go from there.

Cody
08-02-2004, 11:49 AM
I had a local shop (6 states) build a driveline for me three years ago. It cost about 220 if I remember correctly, and I twisted the splines within 3 months. I had it fixed, and had since blown the CV, and both CV ujoints. It was cheaper, but it was also built cheaper.

I had my drivelines built by Tom Woods. He gave me a great deal, and after picking up hte drivelines, there was a night and day difference in quality from my TW line and my old one.

Cody

As a note, had I not met him in AZ earlier htis year, I would have never considered ordering anything from him. I always felt he was overpriced. However, after talking to him and hearing him explian the difference between drivlines--and then him down selling me from 1350 stuff, I got a quote on some stuff and was really surprised that the prices weren't that much different than the local smaller shops.

BigDaveZJ
08-02-2004, 12:07 PM
BTW, you'll need to snag a new pinion yoke too.

Jim311
08-02-2004, 01:15 PM
BTW, you'll need to snag a new pinion yoke too.

Will the local driveline places have this? That's one of my bigger concerns. So all the CV shafts are weak and should be avoided, then? A ujointed setup is preferable? Will there be any noticeable difference in noise versus the stock shaft?

nathan
08-02-2004, 02:09 PM
are you talking double cardan (refered to as cv) or an actual cv joint (ball and cage) ?

I run double cardan front and rear with no probs

Cody
08-02-2004, 02:43 PM
Double carden would be the way to go to get rid of vibes.

My driveshafts now are 1310 non CV. My angles aren't that extreme, I have very little pinion movement through my suspensoin's cycle and I wanted to make it as simple as possible. Getting rid of the H block eliminated the weak part of my driveshaft.

for most ZJ's though, you'll want a double carden

Cody

Jim311
08-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Great, I'll see about getting a double cardon then to try and remove those driveline vibes I was getting before at cruising speed. My Jeep is free from clunks and the driveline vibes it had before.. it's so quiet now. I'm thinking I might just run without the front shaft for street driving from now on considering how much better gas mileage I'm getting. My VC is shot anyway.

Trancezj
08-03-2004, 10:23 AM
meh, I just carry a spare. They're not hard to come across.

Tommy
08-10-2004, 11:03 AM
I have a stock lengthened one I can sell you. What are your measurments? I did a 242 swap and SYE from Tom Woods. Cody is right, the quality was like night and day between the local shop and Tom's stuff.

slomatt
08-18-2004, 03:15 AM
You might also want to try calling South Bay Driveline. I bought a double-cardon/1310 u-joint front shaft and new pinion yoke from them and have been very happy.

http://www.sbdriveline.com/

- Matt

Jim311
08-18-2004, 11:33 AM
You might also want to try calling South Bay Driveline. I bought a double-cardon/1310 u-joint front shaft and new pinion yoke from them and have been very happy.

http://www.sbdriveline.com/

- Matt

Mind me asking how much you paid for the whole setup?

slomatt
08-18-2004, 09:10 PM

Jim,

I don't remember exact numbers, but it was in the ball park of $260-270 for the driveshaft and $50 for the 1310 pinion yoke. Also, they work pretty fast, my new driveshaft showed up just a couple days after I ordered it.

- Matt

Jim311
08-18-2004, 09:33 PM

Jim,

I don't remember exact numbers, but it was in the ball park of $260-270 for the driveshaft and $50 for the 1310 pinion yoke. Also, they work pretty fast, my new driveshaft showed up just a couple days after I ordered it.

- Matt

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. That might be the easiest route for me to go. The closest reputable driveshaft shop is almost an hour away anyway.

AprilzWarrior
08-19-2004, 01:21 PM
Steve at South Bay is the way to go.... He can also use thicker material DOM for the shaft so it can take some serious hits like mine do... the first one he made for me I bent really bad and now its a trail get home spare if I need it, and a Really heavy new one... He gave me my Yoke FYI.

Steve doesnt fuck around, he knows his shit !

Jerod

Jim311
08-20-2004, 07:03 PM
Steve at South Bay is the way to go.... He can also use thicker material DOM for the shaft so it can take some serious hits like mine do... the first one he made for me I bent really bad and now its a trail get home spare if I need it, and a Really heavy new one... He gave me my Yoke FYI.

Steve doesnt fuck around, he knows his shit !

Jerod

How much did you spend? Is it a double cardan shaft as well?