PDA

View Full Version : 46RH problems after swap.

FB
08-01-2004, 05:41 PM
I swaped out the 46RH tranny that was in my 94 ZJ with one out of a donor 94 ZJ that had been rolled. I drove the donor truck and got the tranny good and hot before I pulled the tranny to make sure it worked fine. It seemed to work fine so I swaped it into my ZJ. I changed the torque converter seal and the output seal and the tranny filter (old one was clean). The torque converter had a sticker on it saying that it had been replace with a model year 1996 converter and if replace a 96 model year converter should be used. I installed the tranny but my flex plate would not line up with the 96 converter. I went back and got the flex plate from the donor zj everything bolted up fine.

My problem now is...
The tranny feels like it is going into Neutral when stopping at a light. If I lift my foot off the brake the truck will not want to coast foward at all. As if it was in Neutral. When you go to take off and the rpms go up 1-200 rpm the tranny hooks up like I am droping it from neutral to drive. It did not do this before the swap. I have tested my TPS, went as far as putting in the tps from the donor truck and the problem is still there. I adjusted the front and rear bands on the tranny and still nothing.

It feels like the Idle on my engine is not high enough for the tranny pump to maintain enough pressure to keep the clutch packs engauged. My engine idles at 680rpm. The donor ZJ idled at almost 800 rpm.

Any ideas ???

Thanks
FB

FB
08-01-2004, 05:46 PM
A few more things.

I swaped out my 249 for a 242 at the same time.

The tranny cooler lines on the donor transmission were different then the ones I had. My tranny just had 2 lines with the QD clips going from the tranny to the coolers (been flushed)
The donor tranny had somthing like a thermostat unit on it and bothe cooler lines went to it before going to the cooler. I assume they used a thermostat on the tranny because the 46RH has no idle circuit in it to warm the tranny up while in park.

I did not use the donor set up.

Could that be the problem?

luvthejeep
08-02-2004, 12:28 AM
not shure dude- btw- you couldent have pulled a 46 from a 94- only a 44- 46's came in the 5.9's only if im not mistaken- and those are 98 only-

tony

nathaniel
08-02-2004, 01:27 AM
not shure dude- btw- you couldent have pulled a 46 from a 94- only a 44- 46's came in the 5.9's only if im not mistaken- and those are 98 only-

tony

93-95 v8 had 46rh
96-98 5.2 44re
98 5.9 46re
93-98 4.0 42re
some 93 4.0 with aw4