PDA

View Full Version : It's steering box time

JayDee
08-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Well I managed to break the rear ear off the steering box coming back from Texas last night. It popped an ear off the box, and then sheered another bolt. So I picked up some new bolts, backed the sheered ones out with vice grips (took forever), installed the new bolts in the two front ears and put 2 ratchet straps around the frame and where the steering shaft enters the box and limped home. The ear that broke off has likely been cracked for a while. Mistake on my part for not knowing that.

I would like to find a box with FOUR ears on it that would physically fit in the factory space. I realize that with a brace, this likely wouldn't have happened. I suppose that a 4 ear box along with a sector shaft brace would end these troubles.

The frame is fine, no damage there. I may just shave the frame flat and plate it on both sides before I mount the new box.

So suggestions...

What kind of 4 ear steering box could I find that would have the correct sector shaft splines? I can get a new steering shaft made up if needed.

I suppose that I'll fix this box up, and soon order a new pump with hydraulic provisions and keep them plugged until I get a ram on the axle.

chopshop
08-01-2004, 05:56 PM
j20's have 4 mounting holes. 3/4 FSJ stuff. extra mounting hole is cast into steer box.

research a bit yourself with that info.

I'm pretty sure stock pitman and stock coupler at the input work.

They have a different turn ratio, too.

that should get you started, confirm it. It's pretty well known fact, and lots of peeps have done it on yj's etc.

Alaska ZJ
08-01-2004, 06:18 PM
Your biggest improvement is going to be a steering gearbox brace or hydro assist.

J20 box. Bigger and cheaper.

JayDee
08-01-2004, 09:41 PM
It looks like I'm going to find an '80+ J20 box. I'm not sure of the steering ratios on these boxes. I am sure there are different ratios for different years. I'll keep searching around for info on that.

I assume the sector shaft diameter and splines are the same. How about the hydraulic fittings? Those could be modified, but if one year range has the correct size fittings, then that's a good thing.

Any other ideas? What brand would you guys suggest looking at? I'd rather get a "new" box over a junk yard box just to get on the road quicker, and to get a warranty (hell... just in case).

nathaniel
08-01-2004, 11:43 PM
rebuild's from autozone and others seem ok with lifetime warranty. I know an 85 j20 box will just bolt riight up and is a good ratio but not sure what ratio.

Kevin has one that was modified by increasing bore size and such that he should release eventually and if wanted can come tapped for hydro assist

Raacerx
08-02-2004, 01:59 AM
Olympic 4x4 Supply in Washington. They have access to quite a few. I got mine for $110 shipped, guaranteed to be in good working condition, and a good warranty (cant remember, like a year or something). '82 J20, 4 bolts, 3.5" bore. Mine is not hooked up yet (more important issues to attend too), but I tried one on an XJ with 31s and...lets just say it was WAY overpowered. From the people I have talked to who have this modification on their ZJ or XJ, they are very very happy. Definitely rock the sector shaft brace and ask Aprilzwarrior to post his if he hasnt already.

JeepinHank
08-02-2004, 10:56 AM
What are the differences between ZJ & WJ steering boxes?

I've got a WJ box sitting in the shop (freebie from the local dealership) and I was checking it out just to get an idea of if it would work or not as a swap. I didn't actually campare them side by side & take measurements, but I know the WJ box has 4 cast mounting ears. Anyone know if there is a difference in the sector shaft or fittings or anything? Got any specs on it?

Like I said, I got it as a freebie, but I figured I'd ask you folks if they're interchangeable...

Jim311
08-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Maybe a dumb question, but don't some of the ZJs have speed sensitive steering? Would that be affected by swapping to the older J20 box at all?

JayDee
08-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Maybe a dumb question, but don't some of the ZJs have speed sensitive steering? Would that be affected by swapping to the older J20 box at all?

Yeah I have the variable ratio box. What I'm going to do is find the lowest ratio J20 box that I can find, and use that. That way my steering is very tight and responsive, and then when I add a ram it won't get lethargic.

cherokeekid
08-03-2004, 03:22 PM
Yeah I have the variable ratio box. What I'm going to do is find the lowest ratio J20 box that I can find, and use that. That way my steering is very tight and responsive, and then when I add a ram it won't get lethargic.

You sure about the speed sensative steering? I thought that was only in 97.

I'd have to look but I'm pretty sure our 98 has jsut regular pwr str.

Pearce
08-03-2004, 05:07 PM
My 98 is regular but its a Laredo.

JayDee
08-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Oh well, doesn't matter. I got a PSC box coming. It's 14:1 fixed ratio with a 3.125" piston instead of a 2.750 piston. Should be a TON easier to steer, and with the proper brace I shouldn't have problems. I'm thinking my wheel base will help out on the hiway if it's "over assisted" but I guess I'll just suck it up and live with it :roll:

The PSC part number for the box is 621M, by the way. 4 mounting ears :)

JpRngr
08-03-2004, 08:33 PM
How come you didn't order the 621MR that is already ported for hydro-assist? You know you could have just blocked off the ports until you were ready for hydro-assist. Woulda been alot easier in the long run.

Corey

JayDee
08-03-2004, 09:16 PM
How come you didn't order the 621MR that is already ported for hydro-assist? You know you could have just blocked off the ports until you were ready for hydro-assist. Woulda been alot easier in the long run.

Corey

I probably won't ever add a ram. If I do.. I'll just drill and tap the box myself. I'm not paying 75 bucks for that. :roll:

LouisianaZJ
09-09-2004, 04:05 PM
fab up something like this for the new box:
www.jeepin.com/features/c_rok/index.asp

AprilzWarrior
09-20-2004, 01:04 AM

Corey

The box is already precapped for retards like JD.

HTH
AW

RufftyTuffty
09-20-2004, 05:01 PM
....Old box cracked/busted bolts?

....Think your safe with a J20?

....What happens next?

Carnage...thats what... :(

http://www.photostep.com/images/2/197345936.jpg

:D

Krash80
09-24-2004, 12:33 AM
Wow ...that ^^^^^ sucks! There isn't a real easy trail fix for that one either short of trying to weld it up and limp home.

Just an FYI for anyone who cares; i pulled a box of a '94 YJ last week and it had 4 mounting ears...not sure if all YJ boxes are like that or not though. It's no J20 box, but it's something to consider if you can get one cheap/free as it's got to have more strength than a stock 3 tab ZJ box.
Anyone know the difference in ratios between a YJ and a ZJ box?

-Ron-