PDA

View Full Version : I give up. How to remove knuckles?

Trancezj
07-29-2004, 08:57 AM
Ok, this damn axle is kicking my ass. I finally got all the ball joint bolts off, but I had to cut 2 of them off. Now, how the hell do I get the knuckle off and the ball joints out? I've been trying to use a ball joint spreader fork thingy on the bottom and a BFH on the top. I'm getting scared I'm going to bend the ears or a tube or something. A brief explaination or some hints would be tits.

Oh it's been hit with liquid wrench for the past 3 days.

Alaska ZJ
07-29-2004, 10:23 AM
Damn Balljoints....I hate these things...lol

Anyway, do you have an air compressor or CO2 bottle? If so it would be well worth your time and 30 bucks to go get a Air hammer with a pickle fork attachment.

You don't need the snap on model just a Cambell Haus for the occasional use.

OR

Put the pickle fork between the knuckle and the C. Hit repeatadly with the biggest hammer you han swing with accuracy. Sometime a pair of forks one up top and one on the bottom does the trick.

once the Balljoints pop loose they are loose. But with the taper fit, they are completly tight until they are loose...Know what I mean?

As for getting the BJ out. again spend the 30-40 bucks for the tool. Seriously worth it's weight in gold. I carry one in my trailbox it is so handy. Ujoints, balljoints anything that needs pressed together.

Take some pictures I am glad to see someone else hates these things as much as I!!

Trancezj
07-29-2004, 10:48 AM
Ok, I'll make a stop at napa today and pick up the tool. Some things are just worth buying. My buddy has a pickle thing too, so I'll grab his. And I can swing the shit out of a hammer. I grew up splitting wood, so I'm a pretty good aim. lol. IBIsmashMyFootOrSomeShit

Thanks.

nmzj
07-29-2004, 11:13 AM
A big fucking hammer has always done the trick for me...

Trancezj
07-29-2004, 11:46 AM
A big fucking hammer has always done the trick for me...Yeah well I was swinging that BFH damn hard. Didn't budge. I figured plan b was in order before I bend my new 44.

On a side note, all I've got done is strip the axle, remove old one from my jeep, build my brackets, cut one spring perch free, order my gears/rebuild parts, and start cleaning it. And it feels like I've been doing this shit for a year.

Trancezj
07-29-2004, 12:53 PM
alaska, where would you buy one of those big c clamp things? Napa only had one for 400 bucks. I'm going check northern tool

Trancezj
07-29-2004, 01:05 PM
HF is like 60. Not bad in comparison.

Alaska ZJ
07-29-2004, 11:05 PM
Yah I carry the HF version

60 bucks...man I got mine for 30 something a year ago...damn chinese and russians....

ATL ZJ
07-29-2004, 11:36 PM
A big fucking hammer has always done the trick for me...Yeah well I was swinging that BFH damn hard. Didn't budge. I figured plan b was in order before I bend my new 44.

On a side note, all I've got done is strip the axle, remove old one from my jeep, build my brackets, cut one spring perch free, order my gears/rebuild parts, and start cleaning it. And it feels like I've been doing this shit for a year.

I hear you on all of this. I used a BJ press from autozone to press them out of my 44 last week. "Borrow"/rent/buy the press for $100 and it should do the trick. The press is gay though, so you have to be in a ghetto frame of mind when you use it. Competely disregard the instructions on the case (I don't think you'd need them anyway) because they'll lead you astray. At some points the C-clamp will be too small depending on whether you're removing or inserting (can't remember) so you'll have to leave out either the pressing adapter or receiving adapter. Hard to explain but you will figure it out. And when using the press, may I suggest a breaker bar.

Trancezj
07-30-2004, 09:13 AM

I hear you on all of this. I used a BJ press from autozone to press them out of my 44 last week. "Borrow"/rent/buy the press for $100 and it should do the trick. The press is gay though, so you have to be in a ghetto frame of mind when you use it. Competely disregard the instructions on the case (I don't think you'd need them anyway) because they'll lead you astray. At some points the C-clamp will be too small depending on whether you're removing or inserting (can't remember) so you'll have to leave out either the pressing adapter or receiving adapter. Hard to explain but you will figure it out. And when using the press, may I suggest a breaker bar.
I've ALWAYS got a breaker bar handy. ALWAYS lol

Bulldog 6
07-30-2004, 04:17 PM
Try a propane torch. Heat the knuckle and not the BJ. Press it out.

Jim311
07-31-2004, 03:13 AM
Smash the bejesus out of it! If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

SLO MO
08-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Actually, if you hit the top side of the inner C it should just pop right off.
And the BJs, once you get the one out (not sure if its top or bottom) just use a piece of tubing to reach thru to the other BJ and beat it out with a BFH. Done 3 sets in the last 6 months. Piece of cake.

SLO

Swamp boy
08-08-2004, 09:29 PM
My buddy has a pickle thing too, so I'll grab his

http://delta4x4club.com/forum/html/emoticons/toofunny.gifhttp://delta4x4club.com/forum/html/emoticons/toofunny.gifhttp://delta4x4club.com/forum/html/emoticons/toofunny.gif

Whooooo.. I gotta go wipe.. I crapped my pants...

Anyway.. I just beat the crap out of the top of the nuckle when I did mine..

Sounds like you tried that though so.. Go with the pickle fork.. It will work..

Carl