PDA

View Full Version : Possible donor vehicle - Could you guys give me some specs?

JeepinHank
07-28-2004, 03:38 PM
Hey everyone. I just left an auto shop, and I happened to mention that I was looking for an axle.

Long story short - One of the guys in there said his father has a wrecked 77 Ford crew cab sitting at his house. He said it was a F100, but I don't think I agree because of what he said was in it. Specs that I know of: 460 engine and 4 wheel drive. Thats all I've got until I get a chance to talk to the guy's father.

The best I can figure is that its either an F-150 or F-250 crew cab. It was a work truck for the guy's roofing company.

If so, it SHOULD have a nice HP dana 44 up front (flat top knuckles, etc) and a big bearing 9" rear end.

Can anybody add to or correct what I know (or think I know)? I figure one of you guys has at least come across one of these trucks, or actually swapped a set of these axles.

I'd really like to know what the other specs are, Trans, t-case, etc.

I can probably get the entire vehicle for around $500, and if I can sell off some of the other parts and make a little money back - I could get these axles pretty cheap.

Thanks all!

Hank

Of course - I'll try to provide any other information as I get it.

Alaska ZJ
07-28-2004, 05:55 PM
Get it.

It might be a 100 but as long as it is 4x4 no big deal. HP 44 and 9" reguardless.

Easy way is to count the lugs on the axles. 8 lug = F250 5= 100 or 150

JpRngr
07-28-2004, 08:27 PM
If you're looking for axles, get it. Who knows maybe you'll luck into a F350 with 60's. As for trans, if it's an auto, it'll be a C6, if it's a stick, maybe NP435? but don't quote me on that. T-case should be a NP205 if it's a 150,250, or 350. Unsure of what it would be for an F100 as they didn't have a 4low.

Corey

JeepinHank
07-29-2004, 09:36 AM
Cool... Thanks fellas.

I hope to go check it out this weekend... If I get lucky and its not a POS and can manage to pick it up, this may be the start of a new Jeep Journal.

JH

Cody
07-29-2004, 02:16 PM
If it's an 8 lug it'll be a rear 60.

Cody

Creech
07-29-2004, 03:12 PM
What everybody else said, except the tranny would be a T-18 in a 77 pickup. That's just the predecessor to the NP435. Still a 6.xx first gear, but has a cast top on the box instead of aluminum and an un-synchronized 1st gear ( I believe). If it's a 250, you're almost guaranteed to get a 60 rear, and the front of course will be a HP44 with bigger brakes, but it's leaf sprung. No biggie? Try removing the driver's side spring pad. Pain in the ass. It's part of the casting for the diff housing.

chopshop
07-30-2004, 06:40 PM
yeah, if it's extended cab, it is leaf spring front.

the hp60's didn't come out until 78/79, you won't get that lucky.

luvthejeep
08-02-2004, 12:32 AM
If so, it SHOULD have a nice HP dana 44 up front (flat top knuckles, etc) and a big bearing 9" rear end.

all thats correct except about the flatops- no flat tops on that one my freind

JpRngr
08-02-2004, 01:20 AM

all thats correct except about the flatops- no flat tops on that one my freind

Actually it might have the flat tops, the knuckles on the extended cab half tons with leaf springs had flat tops. One of the guys here in Co is, I beleive, still looking for a knuckle for his after he broke it. Apparently they're pretty rare knuckles.

Corey