PDA

View Full Version : SRC Long Arms

NorthernZJ
07-27-2004, 02:12 PM
Here are a few photos of our long arms. These photos are from my project ZJ. All the parts are CNC waterjet. I had claytons long arms on before and I don't know of anybody who has removed a set of long arms but it is really damn hard. I ended up needing to remove the uni-body sheet metal rail all the way to the floor board. I used a section of 3x3x0.25 to sleeve inside the uni-body rails at each end. The 3x3 is welded at each end and it has supports which connect the major load areas to the rocker guards. The x-members are move up and out of the way. I'll try to get some better photos too and get them on my web site soon.

http://www.rockcontrol.com/web6.jpg
http://www.rockcontrol.com/web8.jpg
http://www.rockcontrol.com/web9.jpg

nmzj
07-27-2004, 04:03 PM
Looks good, but are those cross members welded in? If so, hope you don't have to service the tranny or xfer case.

Jason

JeepinHank
07-27-2004, 04:06 PM
Sweet skid you got there....

Links & mounts look really beefy. I don't envy you at ALL for having to cut out Clayton's kit, or any LA subframe for that matter. I believe all of us have the intention of that being a permanent addition.

Alaska ZJ
07-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Nice SKid.

Troy
07-27-2004, 08:14 PM
Damn. Nice stuff. I'll never show off pictures of my crappy skid mounting job.

Forwheelin49
07-28-2004, 01:49 PM
That look damn good!!! :shock:

Kraqa
07-28-2004, 03:20 PM
looks ofly similar, i like it alot. nice skid, i just hope you don't have to ever change that t-case or decid to use a difrent one.

NorthernZJ
07-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I'm not really worried about the welded in rear x-member. The front one bolts in and out. I could have done the same thing with the rear, however, I wanted a little bit more than 8 3/8th bolts holding my lower links in. If I ever get an atlas it should be easy enough to cut the x-member out with the plasma and fab a new one. As it is the t-case isn't really hard to get in and out.

The next time I do something like this for somebody I'll have the stuff for the rear x-member cut out of 3/8th and use 8 9/16th bolts to mount everything.

NorthernZJ
07-28-2004, 04:23 PM
For those of you guys who like the skid I can also do custom stuff. We have a skid for Claytons kit which we can produce and I'll do custom stuff like tranny skids or whatever you want if you can get us the size and shape info.

wkbrdr03
07-28-2004, 05:51 PM
Hey Tyrel(sp?),
Answer your phone, I need to talk to you about it.

Alaska ZJ
07-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Dude....do you realize how much clamping forse there is with 4 bolts.....LOTS.

wkbrdr03
07-28-2004, 06:16 PM
hey what do you guys think about this, i am thinking about buying it?

luvthejeep
07-28-2004, 11:15 PM
looks stout-

have fun routing exaust out of the way with that one :shock:

Alaska ZJ
07-29-2004, 10:15 AM
Looks stout. I personally would want to check out the cut and replace unirail before I forked out my hard earned dollars.

But the arms and mounts look nice.

Oh I would require I removable x member. But then again I have had to R&R a Tcase on the trail.

NorthernZJ
07-29-2004, 02:20 PM
wkbrdr03, my cell phone is DOA I dropped it and it isn't working. Call me on my house phone and leave a message with your contact numbers. 530-896-0394.

luvthejeep, exahust is pretty easy with a round tube type muffler.

As for production versions they will not require you to remove the uni-body. They will use a steel sleeve over the unibody. Pretty much the same foundation that Alaska, Tim, and Nbaldwin are using. I had to remove my unibody rails due to having claytons kit before this one.

Production versions will have a removable rear x-member. However, it will be more beefy. 3/8 thick flanges with 9/16th grade 8 bolts and lock washers. There will also be 4 counter sunk allen heads that attach the bottom of the skid with the rear x-member.

I'm even planning on changing out my rear x-member to the produciton style. At the time I didn't have the stronger parts for the rear x-member so I used what I had go keep the project moving.

As for cost I'm pretty sure I'll be less than the cost of a clayton kit. I don't want to make a killing on this stuff. I just want people to get a good product at a price which they can afford and have fun with.l

Cody
07-29-2004, 02:53 PM
Looks nice. MY suspension is setup kinda like that--with 2 removable crossmembers. Each one is held in my 8 3/4" botls. It's a PITA to drop it (suspension and all :rolleyes:) to do a t-case swap, and I've done it 4 times this year already. I'm about ready to weld it in place so Im never tempted to swap a t-case again.

I like the skid too.

Cody

wkbrdr03
07-29-2004, 05:45 PM
hey tyrel, hate to do this to you but not only did i think your phone was DOA i thought you were DOA as well. I already bought clayton's kit cuz i didn't know when you were gonna be ready. Sorry man, I was really looking forward to it but time is an issue now that I have some other guys money for my control arms. I still want to talk to you about that 8.8 tho.

Kevin

NorthernZJ
08-01-2004, 03:07 PM
Cool, don't worry about it. I've still got issues trying to find somebody to give me some insurance! I really hope that I can start production of these soon.

Thanks
Ty

Jcbzj
08-23-2004, 03:04 PM
Post on here when you decide on a price and when you think you'll start production. I'd be interested for sure. I almost bought a rockkrawler kit, but decided against it. Let me know when you get a price though, because I really cant afford to drop the $ that clayton wants

NorthernZJ
08-25-2004, 08:06 PM
Shoot me an email at info@rockcontrol.com, I would just email you with some info but I didn't find you email in your profile.

deadman
09-06-2004, 03:55 AM
How is your front done?
I see the 2 lower arms mounting next to the front crossmember, and going to the axle. But what about upper(s)?

It looks like something is mounted on top of the front diff, but I am not too sure.

Also... do the front shoks mount to the lower arms? How did you come up with that idea? I haven't seen it done this way yet.

http://www.rockcontrol.com/ZJBuggy/8-21-04/350/350_IMG_3221.jpg

NorthernZJ
09-08-2004, 08:57 PM
On my ZJ I'm running a 3 link with the 3rd link coming in from the frame near the front x-member to the top of the diff. I used a heim joint on both sides and welded tabs to the top of the D44 with nickle welding rod. On kits it will be radius arms.

Yeah, the front shocks mount to the LCA arm in the front. As you can see I don't have the stock axle brackets and that is just kinda where the shock fits. MikeLib had his shocks on top of the control arms on his WJ. From the point of view of the stength of the arm it adds another bending force in the control arm but it isn't a big deal with 2x2x0.25 control arms.

Kraqa
09-08-2004, 09:10 PM
i don't think that the shock force on the control arm will affect anything. look at what it is mounted to on the top of the wheel well. sheet metal. to me that is a negligable force.

deadman
09-09-2004, 07:39 AM
On kits it will be radius arms.

Good!
Since you say "arms" I am guessin a 4-link?

Not that I disagree with your 3-link design, but it wouldn't fly over here (Germany). Inspection guys are really picky about suspension mods, and you can't bribe them either. (...and I don't want a trailerqueen, yet) :D

I don't think there is a strength issue about the mounting of the shocks... or any part of this kit. It looks really beefy. I just didn't see it done this way before.