PDA

View Full Version : Some photos of my ZJ/Buggy

NorthernZJ
07-27-2004, 01:25 PM
Here are some photos of my ZJ. We started about 6-7 weeks ago with this project. At the start of the project the ZJ had Claytons long arms, and a half done 9/44 swap. I got three eviction notices at my townhouse durring the school year for working on my jeep durring the half done axle swap. To avoid getting kicked out of our place we had to stop working on it. Also didn't want the land lady to notice the machine shop we stuffed in a 1 car garage. We had air, mig, plasma, lathe, mill-drill, etc stuffed into a single car 18x10 garage! At the start of the summer we got a shop and went to work on building my ZJ. The ZJ is pretty much ready to start driving and hopefully trail test in a week.

Here is what we did. Removed claytons long arms and replaced it with our own long arm kit. Finished swapping in the axles. Built all new control arms and a whole new steering system. Fabbed the tube work, rebuild the rocker guards, new radiator, electric fan, new front x-member. After we get it running we are going to put hurculiner on the inside and use my buddies paint booth to spray the cage black and the body will be gun metal grey.

NorthernZJ
07-27-2004, 01:28 PM
http://rockcontrol.com/web1.jpg
http://rockcontrol.com/web2.jpg
http://rockcontrol.com/web3.jpg
http://rockcontrol.com/web4.jpg

NorthernZJ
07-27-2004, 01:34 PM
Here is a preview pic of the rear suspension. I've set it up for double triangulation to get the roll axis closer to level. With claytons kit I had alot of roll steer in the suspension and too much anti-squat. I like anti-squat because it can lift the belly if you are hung up on something but what I had before was really too much. I'm hoping my new setup will work better. I'll post with more tech on the suspension and sub-frame over under the suspension forum.

http://www.rockcontrol.com/web5.jpg

BigDaveZJ
07-27-2004, 01:37 PM
I'm diggin the front bumper/crossmember! Could you get some more close up pics and detail how you did that a little more? I'm planning something pretty similar for my ZJ.

FinlayZJ
07-27-2004, 02:48 PM
Am I missing it or something, b/c where the fawk is the gas tank?

nmzj
07-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Am I missing it or something, b/c where the fawk is the gas tank?

It must be one of those new "runs on air" 318...

LOL

gearhead313
07-27-2004, 11:54 PM
Here is a preview pic of the rear suspension. I've set it up for double triangulation to get the roll axis closer to level. With claytons kit I had alot of roll steer in the suspension and too much anti-squat. I like anti-squat because it can lift the belly if you are hung up on something but what I had before was really too much. I'm hoping my new setup will work better. I'll post with more tech on the suspension and sub-frame over under the suspension forum.

http://www.rockcontrol.com/web5.jpg

would i be close at all guessing that the location of the uppers on the axle has to do with reducing anti-squat? more specificly the distance btw the mounting location of them in relation to the lowers...

Cody
07-28-2004, 03:11 AM
among other things, AS has to do with vertical seperation of the links.

Once you evolve from 9.5" lifts, we can talk about that stuff ;) ;)

btw, Northern, I still want one of those housings in a bad way.

NorthernZJ
07-28-2004, 03:26 AM
We got it running and driving today. The gas tank is mounted in the rear truck bed area. I'm building the truck to be a good general trail rig and summer driver around town.

gearhead313
07-28-2004, 10:12 AM
among other things, AS has to do with vertical seperation of the links.

Once you evolve from 9.5" lifts, we can talk about that stuff ;) ;)

btw, Northern, I still want one of those housings in a bad way.

vertical seperation was what i was getting at :D Trust me, im trying to "evolve" :wink: :wink:

Trancezj
07-28-2004, 10:33 AM
I like the design. I like the chopped rear, I hope to see some more so that when I do mine later (more sooner than later) I'll know how I want to do it. The only problem I see, could possibly be the upper tri like deallys hitting the lowers in up travel. Have you tested that yet?

JeepinHank
07-28-2004, 10:51 AM
Where in the HELL did you get the clear reverse lights?

I've looked all over locally, and can't seem to find anything other than amber and red....

Everything looks good tho... Sweet buggy!

JH

NorthernZJ
07-28-2004, 04:08 PM
As far as the lower links coming into contact with the upper links it shouldn't be a problem. If you look at it from the side view it doesn't look as tight of a fit. I'll let you all know, I should be at the Rubicon/Barrett lake in a week or two.

JeepinHank, if you want I can get you the clear lights. There is a fab shop across the street from my place which has them in stock. They are about $20 bucks for two with pig tails, grommets, and the lights.

NorthernZJ
07-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Dave, I'll take some photos of the front x-member replacement. Pretty much we just cut off the front x-member with a sawzall and used a 2x5 box tube to replace it. We also fabbed some 1/4 plate steel to weld into the bumper and along the side of the uni-rail, kinda a sandwitch with the uni-rail in the middle. The holes in the front bumper are to get more air across the trans cooler and raditator after the winch goes up front.

JeepinHank
07-28-2004, 04:56 PM
JeepinHank, if you want I can get you the clear lights. There is a fab shop across the street from my place which has them in stock. They are about $20 bucks for two with pig tails, grommets, and the lights.

Thanks for the offer. I might have to take you up on it. I've got one or two other local places that I need to check out first though. There's a heavy truck repair shop here in town that I need to check out, and then there's a Volvo truck service center about 15 miles up the road from me. I'll shoot you a PM if I run out of local options. $20 isn't too bad of a price for 2 lights. I know its early to ask, but do they throw off enough light? I just want to put a couple of aux reverse lights on my bumper.

I can find the reds and ambers all day at the local tractor supply in that same style, but I guess nobody around here needs back up lights on a trailer! I'm just getting a little frustrated in my searching. lol

Thanks again! I look forward to seeing some action shots!

JH

OverkillZJ
07-31-2004, 10:12 PM
Nice work. More pics!

mikebeach
08-24-2004, 03:40 AM
sweet buggy... thats somewhat similar to what I had invisioned for my project jeep...
Mike

NorthernZJ
08-25-2004, 08:57 PM
Thanks Dude... she works pretty damn well too! If you want to cut down on your raw fab time, it took me almost 2 months of full time to get it done, shoot me an email and I can help you out with stuff like belly skids, long arms, bumper type stuff, cut-out rocker guards, flush mount axle brackets, or if you just want to chat about the stuff.....

info@rockcontrol.com
530-896-0394 this is my home phone and feel free to call with any questions

Ty