PDA

View Full Version : what the freak are these things called .....

luvthejeep
07-26-2004, 01:25 AM
im looking for a rod end/heim joint with a standard roller bearing or needle bearing- i want 0 misalignment- i cant seem to find them anywhere- is there a specific name for them, or dose anyone have a link????- im looking to do my tie-rod with them so i dont have anymore fliping issues with the heim joints due to my drag ling being attached to it- i creates a small dead spot untill the heim joint housing comes in contact with the washers around it- ive already tried to off set them- but they have a funny way of loosening up- no matter how freaking hard i crank on them- plz help if ya can- i am almost just about to do solid clevis ends on them- i dont want the misalignment of the heims-

robselina
07-26-2004, 09:10 PM
wait, you're talking about the bolt through the heim coming loose? because you have inverted T steering? I use heims on one of my rigs' steering setup and found that good old locktite did the trick....if you don't like that idea, what about doing a castle nut and cotter pin?

robselina
07-26-2004, 09:11 PM
oh, btw, I can't remember the name of the type of joint you're talking about either, but the ones I've seen all have a pretty substantial amount of play in them. I'm not sure how well suited they'd be to your application....

Troy
07-26-2004, 10:23 PM
I used Baja Racing Products' 5/8X3/4" teflon lined heims (r/h and l/h thread) on my tie rod. Give them a call and see if they can hook you up with what you need:

http://www.bajaconcepts.com/bajaracingproducts/index.cfm?go=rodends.cfm

luvthejeep
07-27-2004, 12:26 AM
i might try the loctite idea- i also like the castle nut idea too, but how the heck would you drill the hiem for that, i dont have a drill press :(- any link on heim seals? like washers with rubber surounds on them to seal the heim? ive found them but no price-

nathan
07-27-2004, 12:38 AM
that's why they make tre's for steering
nathan

JeepinHank
07-27-2004, 09:28 AM
Rockstomper sells something called a "teardrop tab"

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I figured I'd post it up:

http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/pieces/tabs.htm

robselina
07-27-2004, 09:49 AM
i might try the loctite idea- i also like the castle nut idea too, but how the heck would you drill the hiem for that, i dont have a drill press :(-

not sure what you mean. You don't have to touch the heim, just the bolt going through it. drill a hole through the bolt with a hand drill and pick up a castle nut and cotter pin from NAPA......

luvthejeep
07-27-2004, 10:23 AM
the heim itself is what is loosening up- not the bolt going through the heim-

nathan
07-27-2004, 01:51 PM
why not go with tie rod ends?

luvthejeep
07-28-2004, 11:12 PM

because tapers suck-

robselina
07-29-2004, 09:45 AM
the heim itself is what is loosening up- not the bolt going through the heim-

oh, you mean the jam (sp?) nut? or whatever the heck that's called. Then yea, just put some locktite on it. A friend of mine also uses teflon tape on stuff he doesn't want to come loose, works well. Only catch with the teflon tape is that it'll mess up your threads long term, so you usually want to make sure you've got it right where you want it and intend to leave it there.

nathan
07-29-2004, 11:35 AM

because tapers suck-

:?

just buy a reamer and do it the right way.

luvthejeep
07-30-2004, 01:01 AM
ok ill do that- :roll:

Kraqa
07-30-2004, 02:30 PM
polyperformance is sourcing out the reamer for chevy tre's and there only goingto be around $ 50

nathaniel
07-30-2004, 07:46 PM
polyperformance is sourcing out the reamer for chevy tre's and there only goingto be around $ 50

mine was only about that much and is high quality and relabeled from the original manufacture :roll:

chadjans
08-01-2004, 01:15 AM
Hope you are using safety washers with the heims in a steering application if you are going to be stuburn and not run tre's.

luvthejeep
08-01-2004, 01:17 AM
lol- im being stubborn- lol

and yes i have sftey washers on all the heims on the knuckels- the other heim is double sided with mounting flanges-

luvthejeep
08-03-2004, 03:03 AM
i found these 1 1/8" id small rubber washers at home depot taht fit perfectly over the heim- there in the plumbing section- they preload the heim just right when you put one on either side- no play whatsoever-