PDA

View Full Version : rear sway bar modification - what if I reduce it's diameter?

robselina
07-25-2004, 10:56 PM
Okay, haven't got around to toying with the front sway bar idea we were discussing yet, but got thinking, I wonder if I could just take the grinder to the stock rear one? Basically I'm thinking that in the center portion, where it's straight, I could bring it down to about 1/2" or 7/16" diameter or so, get a little more flex out of it...am I just going to screw up this thing and cause it to crack or does this seem feasible?

Jim311
07-25-2004, 11:58 PM
Why not just take it off if you're looking for more flex?

BigDaveZJ
07-26-2004, 12:19 AM

So he can leave it on for additional stability in off camber situations. Flex is NOT everything!

Jim311
07-26-2004, 10:43 PM

So he can leave it on for additional stability in off camber situations. Flex is NOT everything!

Yeah, I realize that... but it's already super thin in the first place! Mine doesn't do a whole lot anyway.. I can't imagine weakening it even more. Are there any other options for limiting that notorious body roll besides connecting swaybars? Seems like there's got to be a better way...

robselina
07-27-2004, 09:46 AM

Yeah, I realize that... but it's already super thin in the first place! Mine doesn't do a whole lot anyway.. I can't imagine weakening it even more. Are there any other options for limiting that notorious body roll besides connecting swaybars? Seems like there's got to be a better way...

check the other thread i started in the suspension section about dialing in my suspension.

short version of it all is that the linear spring rate of coils causes a lot of body roll problems and swaybars are just about the only option. Watch pro-rock or any of the other comps and see how many coil rigs have swaybars - all of them.

my rear one is to stiff and forces the front to articulate with no change out back, I want more flex out back to be more proportional to the front.....

BigDaveZJ
07-27-2004, 09:57 AM
With the Currie Anti-Rock for TJ's they recomend a rear sway as well to help balance things out. Most of the nuts rigs I've seen around here have anti-rock style setups front and rear and do quite well.

robselina
07-29-2004, 09:42 AM
Most of the nuts rigs I've seen around here have anti-rock style setups front and rear and do quite well.

yea, same thing out here.....

Jim311
07-31-2004, 03:09 AM
What about having a smaller diameter bar made for the front?

Nordic1
08-01-2004, 06:16 PM
what kind of swaybar are you running? I'm doubtful if this is the same for everybody but I only gained a couple inches of wheel travel when I switched from my addco to my stock sway bar.

robselina
08-08-2004, 11:33 AM
just thought i'd give you all an update. I'm not sure if I'm just getting used to it, or if the new setup is sorta softening up but I've taken it wheelin' a couple times over the last week and actually am starting to feel really well planted with the setup as is. I rode with a buddy who's disco'd front and rear on friday and that was just spooky feeling. I'm happy with the way my suspension junk is working at this point and am just leaving it be.........the 249 on the other hand is really pissing me off, but that's another story :roll: