PDA

View Full Version : I need a vise that works!!

ATL ZJ
07-24-2004, 12:20 AM
:x :evil: Well I just broke my 3 day old Northern Tool 4" vise trying to put 760s in a pair of 44 shafts. I dinged them up pretty goods afterwards using the hammer method to free the old u-joints. There has to be a better way. I've changed 1310s with just a c-clamp and a breaker bar. Do the 760s require more torque or something? Am I going to have to spend $90 for a vise that is capable of changing u-joints? What the fuck

NorthernZJ
07-25-2004, 01:57 PM
shit. I know how you feel. get a big ass vice. or a 12 ton shop press. A shop press is pretty cheap $150 bucks or something. And it is really useful. I put OX u-joints in my supirior shafts for the 44. The u-joints measured .005 oversize compared to the inside of the ears on the shafts. They really make that brass bushing a tight fit! The shop press was the answer though a big hammer sure would have made me feel better!

Alaska ZJ
07-25-2004, 08:20 PM
Why are you using a vise to change u joints? The only tool I need is a hammer.........................................

Maybe I will do a right up for you next time I change one.

Oh and Wilton makes good vises.

gsh
07-26-2004, 12:43 AM
Repeat after me. A vise is not a press. Sure you can pull it off for a while but when you really need it, it will fail. Ask me how I know.

A BFH hardly fails. Nice for precision work.

ATL ZJ
07-26-2004, 01:22 AM
Why are you using a vise to change u joints? The only tool I need is a hammer.........................................

I'll pass on the writeup :D. I just had a tiny 1-lb hammer available at the time. Ended up using the beat the crap outta it method. I replaced the POS vise with the biggest one Home Depot sells which seems to be about twice as strong and allows two planes of 360* rotation.

Jim311
07-26-2004, 10:48 PM

I'll pass on the writeup :D. I just had a tiny 1-lb hammer available at the time. Ended up using the beat the crap outta it method. I replaced the POS vise with the biggest one Home Depot sells which seems to be about twice as strong and allows two planes of 360* rotation.

Sounds pricey :o