PDA

View Full Version : What do you think my POS is worth?

Cody
07-22-2004, 04:57 PM
I have been thinking of dumping the ZJ sans the atlas. If I can get in the neighborhood of 5k, I think I would do it, but judging from the market I don't know if that is realistic. here is what it has, what do you think a reasonable price would be?

37x12.5 r15 mtr's on TR beadlocks
14" SAW coilovers in teh back
4.5" RE coils up front, DT 8000 shocks
Custom triangulated 4 link in back
Custom triangulated radius arms front
231 t-case, possibly fixed output (unless someone wants to pay an extra 2 g's for the atlas and drivelines)
318 v8 w/ 108k, 46 RH tranny that has never slipped or hesitated once
custom subframe, crossmembers, skidplate, rockers, roll cage
bucket seats, 5 point racing harness (have buckets for the rear but they are uninstalled)
15 gallon aluminum cell
100 watt offroad lights in place of headlights
hp44 front w/ Yukon shafts, 760 joints, 4.10's, lockright, hydro assist
2 sets of spare shafts, 1.5 spare hubs, 1 spare stub, 1 spare joint
Ford 9" rear, disk brakes, full spool, 31 spline
custom magnaflow exaust

and some other junk. The way I figure, it adds up to around 6-8k worth of junk (including the vehicle itself).

all the tube work and suspension has been done by professionals (rocklogic 4x4)

I wouldn't part it out because I would just swap the drivetrain over to a buggy if I didn't sell it. The only thing that wouldn't go to a buggy if I didn't sell would be miscelaneous springs and parts and the body/cage (which would be all but worthless without anything else)

what do you think it would be worth?

Cody

JpRngr
07-22-2004, 08:39 PM
I don't know man, that things been rolled, it's probably only worth like $500 :flipoff2:
:lol:

Corey

BTW, if I sold the Chalupa, I would want more than the $5K you're thinking about.

ROKN ZJ
07-23-2004, 10:45 AM
Not much unfortunatly. You're only hope is probably finding someone who is already a ZJ fanatic, and selling it to them. Thats how Travis sold the blue ZJ to me, and I'd LOVE to get 5k for it now :shock:

Timzjatl
07-23-2004, 10:48 AM
If you'd have been selling it 6-8 months ago for $5k I would have bought it....

nmzj
07-23-2004, 01:12 PM
[quote="JpRngr"]I don't know man, that things been rolled, it's probably only worth like $500 :flipoff2:
quote]

Actually, my insurance company says a rolled grand is worth $1050.

Jason

Cody
07-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Mine said $1200 2 years ago :(

Cody

robselina
07-23-2004, 11:25 PM
post up some pics man, I want to see this beast...

Alaska ZJ
07-24-2004, 12:07 AM
You all got screwed mine was worth 500.

OverkillZJ
07-24-2004, 12:33 AM
...if you were selling that thing for 5 grand when I was at GSW, I would have towed it home.

Seriously.

I wouldn't sell it, but that's just me.

Cody
07-24-2004, 03:23 PM
post up some pics man, I want to see this beast...

I don't have any pics here at work, but I can post some later if you want.

I don't know what to do. I think in the fall I'll put it up on some boards and see what kind of interest I can get in it. It's an awesome rig and has done pretty much every thing I've ever pointed it at.....I would have a terrible time parting with it. I'm just to the point where the stuff I want to do would be so much better suited for something smaller and more nimble.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. If you find anybody that is sincerely interested in it, send htem my way. I'm willing to talk....

Cody

nmzj
07-24-2004, 11:42 PM
http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?userid={DBF1EAE8-BF81-416C-83FD-747747538694}&inv=5B4B6C51906BE7D&userid={DBF1EAE8-BF81-416C-83FD-747747538694}&AlbumId={1A3DA614-4A77-4825-8FF2-E03CA9DFBE12}&inv=5B4B6C51906BE7D&GroupId={002F964 3-F02C-44B1-A468-B59219A11F6F}

Here are some good ones. If you can't tell, Cody's is the chopped ZJ. :lol:

Jason

Jim311
07-25-2004, 12:02 AM
Tree fiddy!

Cody
07-25-2004, 12:27 AM
Thanks Jason

Is it just me or do I look really mean in this picture?

http://www.fototime.com/BDFDFE1C21FF6FE/standard.jpg

nathaniel
07-25-2004, 01:06 AM
Why not look at relocating the radiator to the back and dovetailing the front maybe shorten your wheelbase some and a front axle swap or sell it and start all over.

ATL ZJ
07-25-2004, 01:14 AM
Why not look at relocating the radiator to the back and dovetailing the front maybe shorten your wheelbase some and a front axle swap or sell it and start all over.

Sounds like he's itching to start over. Besides, once you build it that much, the (uni)body becomes the weak point.

NorthernZJ
07-25-2004, 01:49 PM
Shit Cody, I bet you've got $5000 in labor. I bet rock logic is about $50 an hour. $5000 bucks gets you 100 hours which is 2.5 weeks. Something like that is alot of hours to build.

Cody
07-25-2004, 03:02 PM

As you know, I'm not particularly mechanically able, so if I do things like that, it's $$$. I could narrow the front, drop a 60 in it, relocate the radiator to the back, get bigger tires, and move the coilovers up front--air shox out back, but then I'm looking $4k and it's still too wide, I have less than stellar visibility, and my belly is lower than I like, weight distribution isn't great etc.... Don't get me wrong, my rig works really well, but it's just the little things now that bug me and stuff like that is hard to change without big $$$.

If I'm going to drop 4k, I want something that can potentially go anywhere and is nearly indestructable (so I don't have to fix it ;) ) There are two breeds of wheelers out there--those who enjoy working on/engineering things as much as driving it, and those that love to drive it but hate working on it. I bet you can guess which type I am.

Cody

ROKN ZJ
07-25-2004, 03:42 PM
I'd suggest putting it on ebay. If you need a transfercase for it I can give you an old QTrac case (96+), so at least it'd be 4wd. Set the reserve at 5k, but start the bidding at 3k, and see what comes of it.

I hate to see all these hard core Grand wheelers leaving, but trust me its not worth building that thing to do what you want with it. It'd be much cheaper in the long run to cut your losses now and figure out how to get your hands on a buggy. I'm not saying wheeling a Grand can't be fun and challenging, but theres a HUGE difference between what you want to wheel, and what a Grand should wheel.

I'm sure there is someone out there, or even on here, who would love to step up his own wheeling to where you're at now, and that ZJ would be perfect for that. It'd be cheaper for them than building whatever they have into it, and it'd be cheaper for you since you're no longer at that level.

Anyway thats my .02. If you folow them and end up a with buggy, let me know, and I'll hook you up with some skisn for it 8)

robselina
07-25-2004, 08:28 PM
okay, given the fact that you don't like building, why not get a pre-fabbed frame from one of the many rock buggy places and slap your axles, suspension, drivetrain and all that junk into it?

Also, out of curiosity, anything wrong with your rig right now or is it up and running?

Cody
07-26-2004, 11:36 AM
okay, given the fact that you don't like building, why not get a pre-fabbed frame from one of the many rock buggy places and slap your axles, suspension, drivetrain and all that junk into it?

Also, out of curiosity, anything wrong with your rig right now or is it up and running?

I could get a frame, but it still takes fabrication skills to build a supsension and all the drivetrain mounts, wiring (actually,I can do the wiring) and all the little nuts and bolts and lines and sensor and peddals and fluids and metal and blades and dipsticks etc etc etc that would add up. If I can get a reasonable price for it as is, I could buy a 5.9, 727 (or whatever that good mopar tranny is), my atlas, front 60, rear 9/60/14b, and a chasis and start building this winter.

Nothing is wrong with it right now. It just ran probably it's 2nd toughest trial with narry a hitch (coyote canyon--the toughest being Cedar City's Skull Canyon in the snow) just a couple weeks ago. I know I bitch about it always breaking, but it only breaks when I do something that I shouldn't be doing in it (i.e. the stuff built by and used by buggies). I wheeled it for over a year on some pretty tough stuff without breaking anything.

To move this rig to the next level I'd have to do basically what Clayton did, and judging from Clayton's experience in Moab and his actions since, I don't know that he felt it was worth the work.

I think I'll finish out this season with the ZJ (unless someone is really interested in it right now ;) ) and then this fall I'll try and move it and get into a buggy. There is a ton of money in parts and labor in it and for someone to build a rig thats as capable it would take a ton of work and money. If I can get 6 out of it without the Atlas (or 8 with the atlas), then I think it would be worth it for me.

I imagine my buggy willl look remarkabley similar to Hal's newest creation :D

Cody

BMRisko
07-27-2004, 03:34 PM
Cody, how soon are you looking to sell or are you willing to hold onto it for a bit?

Cody
07-27-2004, 03:57 PM
If I sell, I would like to wait until the late fall--after wheelin season.

Alaska ZJ
07-27-2004, 05:11 PM
I just realized that the guy in your avatar is wearing a WalMart Bag....Wholy shit that is funny.

I will not be staying with the ZJ forever either....I am starting to reach the limits of it's modability.....